Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything's been going OK with my '02 navi. unit -- until today.
Upon starting the car about an hour ago (about the 5th start of the day), on the display was "Enter Code" instead of the usual intro. screen. The car hasn't been serviced, battery diconnected, etc. I found the code in the owner's manual stuff and entered it. Back to normal, at least so far. However, all of the previous destinations, "bread crumb" tracking, etc. is gone.

The radio didn't seem to lose its memory, the memory seat feature still seems OK, and I didn't notice any other power loss symptoms. So I'm thinking that the navigation unit, and not much else, somehow lost power, or got seriously confused. I'm just hoping this is a one-time occurrence. (I'm 150 miles away from the nearest Acura dealer, and 220 miles away from the one where I bought the MDX).

Anybody else ever have this happen?

Note that I'm not talking about the "PIN" screen used for personal addresses, etc., but the code entry screen that I thought was supposed to only come on after a battery disconnect. (Battery terminals seem tight - I checked).

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have had similar situations in other cars right before the battery needed to be replaced. It had to do with the voltage dropping to low while cranking. I wouldn't think that would be a problem for you with such a new vehicle.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
jurincie said:
I have had similar situations in other cars right before the battery needed to be replaced. It had to do with the voltage dropping to low while cranking. I wouldn't think that would be a problem for you with such a new vehicle.
No, but maybe the cable connections need to be serviced. Might be best to remove, clean, retighten, re-enter codes and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Dale MDX:

___Was it particularly cold in your locale last night? I mean even in the garage? Starting up in the cold with reduced cranking amps may have caused it?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not particularly cold. It was in the mid-30s, and the MDX has seen 10 degree weather back in October. Plus the car had been driven about an hour before this event, so everything was still partially warm.

It didn't appear that the radio or anthing else had lost power as that memory was still there. Interesting note: The trip computer functions DID NOT lose memory. Miles to empty, average mpg, etc. were right where they were. Maybe that's a different memory somewhere.

Starting, etc. seems to be fine. No slow cranking indicating a possibly discharged battery. The mileage on the MDX recently are about 90% highway and about 70 miles per day - battery is unlikey to be discharged.

In any event, it didn't repeat in the 2 cold starts today. I also got to reset the voice volume and brightness features. DIdn't realize so many things were there to go away!

I'm really hoping not to have to involve a dealer. First they won't do anything unless they can "duplicate" a problem. Then, even if they see it lose power, they won't necessarily fix the right part of the system, like find the right loose connection (maybe in external wiring, maybe inside the unit).

I do have the long-term warranty from Acura though, and the main reason I bought it is fear of navigation system problems/expense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts