Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew that title would suck some of you NAVI owners in ;)

Hi All:

___I came across a darn nice initial online review of some PocketPC GPS packages this morning. The review is just a primer as I believe there will be 2 or 3 more articles in the series but for those without a NAVI solution, I highly recommend that you follow it for your own solution.

GPS Navigation Shootout Intro - Will You Get There or Get Lost?

___A PocketPC can be a better overall solution given some the following:
  • PocketPC GPS based Navtech maps are not nearly out of date vs. the Navtech maps supplied by Honda/Acura.
  • The PocketPC based SW and maps can be/are continuously updated.
  • The units are not tied to the vehicle we are currently in vs. the X’s installed.
  • A good PocketPC based NAVI solution costs only a few hundred dollars including the PDA instead of $2200 as it does in the X!
  • It’s also a PocketPC solution which includes the ability to do any number of other tasks including playing GB’s of MP3’s (with the appropriate SD/CF memory cards) and Blitz-Safe adapter, playing back books while on the road, or even playing games when not being used as a NAVI unit (not the driver of course ;)) to name just a few.
___Some of the negatives to a PocketPC based NAVI solution can include a few of the following:
  • The PocketPC based NAVI solution will not have the Gyro/wheel sensor information to keep you and the maps locked to your actual position when the birds (satellites) are out of touch as can happen in a urban cityscape, heavily treed/mountainous thoroughfare, or while driving in a tunnel.
  • The PocketPC based NAVI includes a ton of cables to the receiver unit depending on PocketPC and receiver HW selection, PDA mounts, 12V charging and synch cables.
  • If you leave an iPAQ or Axim connected on your dash for all to see, it will sooner or later get ripped off. Remove it or lose it …
  • A typical PocketPC has a screen that is at best half of the std. X’s NAVI screen in size.
  • POI have not come anywhere near the latest 03 NAVI units 7 Million points as of this writing but can and do include many similar to the 01/02 NAVI solution.
  • No voice activation capability but there is voice direction.
___This is not an all encompassing list of the Pro’s and Con’s but just a few items I threw out off the top of my head. In any case, the author’s wife owns a late model Honda Odyssey w/ the latest NAVI installed so this would be a great head to head comparison for anyone with even a passing interest.

___In the first article, the number one point brought out for anyone interested in Car Navigation is the safety aspect … I now have a feel for this as I was doing the instantaneous MPG calc’s at various RPM’s and speeds in the X last night and found I was not paying full attention to the road ahead in many instances. Just a heads up for some of us like myself :eek:

___Finally, Rjmitche, if you are interested in a NAVI solution via your Axim, I think we can work out a deal to advance both of our interests at a minimalist cost. We can talk about it during the next Online Chat if either of us are available on Wednesday’s over the next few weeks ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just ebayed my Garmin Street Pilot 3 Deluxe and went with a Dell Axim and Holux GPS system with Mapopolis. It's a little clunky but for the price of the SP3, I got myself a PDA that I really wanted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the link to the article xcel. It's a great primer for me since I'm just beginning the investigation into 'mobile' navigation options. I look forward to reading the rest in the series.

I'll be interested to hear what you have in mind for the Axim... Wednesday chat, PM, e-mail... whatever works best.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi DoggieDog:

___Mapopolis is my number 1 choice right now also! My one problem with the Holux in our Axim’s is that the CF slot has so much more capability than for a simple 4800 + baud serial communication path to the Sirf IIe based GPS Holux receiver. Both the upcoming Earthmate and the latest Leadtek 9532 use the same Sirf IIe chipset yet are going to be simple serial paths as is your cradle leaving the CF slot open for WiFi, cheap memory, Blue Tooth, or whatever else someone comes up with. If our Axim X5’s were the soon to be released (I hope) X7’s, we wouldn’t need to discuss this. Since they are not, we only need to wait for a charge/synch cable with the null modem/gender changer and a power cord and we are more than likely set … I was reviewing PocketPCPassion’s Dell Axim forums last night and came across a link to this Axim supporting serial cable which should supply us with everything we need for a simple serial connection in just a few weeks … I won’t know until I get one of the puck based GPS receivers to know if they will work inside the dash as the current X GPS receiver does but I can bet they do. If so, the wiring can be mostly hidden except for the mandatory power cord down to the 12V outlet. I will be running the Axim’s stereo output via coax stereo mini-plug to a dual RCA jacked converter to the Blitz-Safe adapter for MP3 playback as well. Most of this except for the single coax will be inside the dash so I still have time to figure this all out … Voice direction and MP3 playback coming through the OEM radio/speaker setup is going to be very nice indeed.

___I do have to ask how you like downloading the latest maps as you need them? Not only is Mapopolis great for its fast rerouting and decent interstate drives but it is relatively inexpensive and the ability to download the latest maps is nothing short of astounding in my eyes. I only wish the voice instructions were as clear as Destinator’s … Maybe they will work on that in their next upgrade as well? Also, are you going to be receiving the CD-ROM based maps? They started shipping them supposedly on the 14th of this month?

___Rjmitche, I will PM or see you in the chat on Wednesday …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have both. I have the Navi in the X and a PPC 2002 system from Pharos. Have tried Mapopolis and it has some good features and some bad. I use the NAvi in the X when local and the Pharos on the PPC when I travel without the X.

The net is that when the Acura Navi is working (ie coverage, POI) it is hands down easier, more acurrate, more precise etc.

The problem with the PPC ones is that they have no quality control. Same with Neverlost from Hertz which is based on the same technology basically. In fact I had a bakeoff recently with Pharos and Neverlost. Both had the same functionality. Both had real detail maps that covered every street. But the routing was different in many cases and no one was a clear winner.

Even though the maps were more complete sometimes this was not accurate. For example some of the roads shown did not exist or were blocked so you could not use them. Also the routing took me on a lot of streats that the X would never have. The X is famous for using freeways if it can.

Anyway my choice is the X but yes lets get some updates. When traveling I use the PPC but the cable and how to hang it, display and voice are far inferior to the x.

BTW my PPC is a HTC PPC Phone Edition which sells for $550. The Pharos HW and SW wa $150 which is a great deal. Mapopolis was another $100 which I tried but did not buy. There biggest problem is that you have to glue a whole lot of maps together for a route where as Pharos you need a max of three. Source, Destination and hiways.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts