Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is "per the dealership":

** Acura has a fix for the problem with video inverting on the Nav system [01-02 MDX with Navi]. :)

** The fix will be incorporated into the next release of the Nav software [e.g. next DVD]. :)

My dealer has stated that since I have "a problem" and since the "new DVD will fix the problem", I will receive the new DVD "at no charge" under warranty. :) :)

Soooo ... if all this turns out to be true, all Nav customers should be able to get the updated DVD at no cost under warranty.

The new DVD is not yet available. When it is, I will let everyone know whether or not Acura/Dealer provide DVD as fix at no cost under warranty.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
srpbep said:

** Acura has a fix for the problem with video inverting on the Nav system [01-02 MDX with Navi]. :)

** The fix will be incorporated into the next release of the Nav software [e.g. next DVD]. :)

My dealer has stated that since I have "a problem" and since the "new DVD will fix the problem", I will receive the new DVD "at no charge" under warranty. :) :)

Soooo ... if all this turns out to be true, all Nav customers should be able to get the updated DVD at no cost under warranty.

The new DVD is not yet available. When it is, I will let everyone know whether or not Acura/Dealer provide DVD as fix at no cost under warranty.
Will the updated DVD give us a connection to the additional satellites? Different screens? and all the addition points of interest? I wasn't sure if we would have to modify the CPU unit under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
paul123,

I would ASSUME that the new DVD will simply be an "annual map update" which has bug fixes in the software:

** The annual map update should include "new roads" etc. as this is the purpose of the annual update.

** The annual update could provide modified screens and/or operation BUT this is strictly up to Honda [they have no obligation to enhance the system over time].

Since Honda has developed a new Nav system for 03, I suspect that most [?all] of "new development" has been, and will continue to be, expended on the new system. Heck, that's what I would do because the new systems are what help sell new vehicles and that IS WHAT THEY FOCUS ON. Therefore, I would assume that:

** The function will remain unchanged [or largely unchanged].

** I suspect that they could improve on postioning without a hardware change by utilizing more satellites [I don't think this requires a hardware change but I don't know for sure]. However, I doubt that there would be any motivation to enhance the performance UNLESS they are going to continue selling the OLD UNIT in some vehicles.

If there is a need for hardware update to get better positioning then it is logical that this will NOT be provided. Honda/Acura has no commitment to us [that I am aware of] to provide "future hardware upgrades".

·
Registered
144 Posts
srpbep:

I agree they do not have an obligation to us; however, it would be bad business practice to not fix bugs/errors and provide (for a fee) updates.

Not doing this would make me NOT want to re-purchase their car. After all, the 03's will be old in 2004, so does that mean that they will abandon any upgrades for the 2003's when the 2004's come out. I seriously doubt it..

I don't know about other parts of the world, but down here a 1 year old map is worthless. New streets/roads/ and road closurs happen all the time, as it is my navi shows numerous businesses that are "out of business",so these yearly updates are almost a neccessity...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dakster,

Either you misread my post or I simply was not clear enough. I believe that we CAN count on Acura to publish annual updates that include new streets, updated business listings, etc. This is what I was trying to convey with the following:

"The annual map update should include "new roads" etc. as this is the purpose of the annual update."

What I do question is whether Acura will invest in enhancing the underlying software [e.g. new features, new screen displays, etc.] as there is no motivation or commitment to do this. This is where I said:

"The annual update could provide modified screens and/or operation BUT this is strictly up to Honda [they have no obligation to enhance the system over time]".

Sorry if I was not clear :(

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I think a lot depends on your use. I live in a large metropolitan area, and it's rare I have to search 'new' addresses. New being over a year old. So doing updates annually for only that information is not cost effective at all.
The same holds true for out of town locations. If I do need help with a new address, a little preparation and I 'nav to a nearby intersection and get instruction by cell phone to the exact address. For me an update every 2 or 3 years will be more than adequate.
But being such a techie, if updates include major improvements or new features, that might certainly get my attention . Otherwise, it works just fine!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
srpbep said:

By "inverting" I assume you are referring to the screen going black at times when breadcrumbs are activated.

A free update to fix this bug that including a drastically increased coverage area would be great.

Acura is obligated to fix the bug but to include increased coverage would be fantastic PR on Acura's part.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
srpbep said:
paul123,

I would ASSUME that the new DVD will simply be an "annual map update" which has bug fixes in the software:

** The annual map update should include "new roads" etc. as this is the purpose of the annual update.

** The annual update could provide modified screens and/or operation BUT this is strictly up to Honda [they have no obligation to enhance the system over time].

Since Honda has developed a new Nav system for 03, I suspect that most [?all] of "new development" has been, and will continue to be, expended on the new system. Heck, that's what I would do because the new systems are what help sell new vehicles and that IS WHAT THEY FOCUS ON. Therefore, I would assume that:

** The function will remain unchanged [or largely unchanged].

** I suspect that they could improve on postioning without a hardware change by utilizing more satellites [I don't think this requires a hardware change but I don't know for sure]. However, I doubt that there would be any motivation to enhance the performance UNLESS they are going to continue selling the OLD UNIT in some vehicles.

If there is a need for hardware update to get better positioning then it is logical that this will NOT be provided. Honda/Acura has no commitment to us [that I am aware of] to provide "future hardware upgrades".
Thanks srpbep for your input and opinion. I'm hoping there will be some type of upgrade to get the split screen with 3-D view, and the addiitonal links to all the sateliites to reduce re-calculating time and accuracy on the screen. I'm pretty sure the new DVD will update to new road and highways, and also hoping it will give us 7 million points of interest instead of the 3.5 million we currently have. Even though what we have now is plenty good.:4:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BaldEagle,

Map update is simply a "lucky occurence" IMHO. The system software which contains the inverse video bug is loaded from the DVD.

Would be sort of silly for Acura to update last year's DVD with only the bug fix [e.g. keep old map info] as they are committed to updating the DVD on a "periodic basis" anyway.

Sometimes life provides ya a break!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
My dealer seem to indicate that they can update the software using a new disk to load the software, but then you keep the old disk and database. If this is the case, then we may not get the new disk to fix the problem for free.

·
Registered
291 Posts
2 Points

- The system software can be loaded from a new DVD disk and then the dealer will put your old disk back in. You end up with the latest operating software, but with your original street and POI data disk. This is how I inherited the screen inversion problem on my ’01. I complained about what seemed like the software lagging behind my actual road position, i.e. not keeping up with the speed of the vehicle.
- I just complained about my screen inversion problem a day or 2 ago. Yep, they had a fix alright. The mechanic turned off the breadcrumb feature explaining that is what was causing the problem. Imagine that, my using a standard feature of the system is what the problem was all along! :eek:

Right now I intend to wait a bit before complaining again. Who knows what other problem I might cause.
:3:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn

Our X is back in the shop for a couple of problems (trans, rear sway bar, and a couple of other issues). When I dropped off the X, I noted a "Service Update" (don't recall the real name, but it was NOT a TSB):

** The Update discussed the Nav problem.

** The video inversion problem has been fixed.

** Dealers will be getting a new release of operating software.

** The dealer will install the update from the new DVD and then put your current DVD back in the player.

Sooooooo, ifeldman and Tom-TX you are both 100% correct!! We will NOT be getting new mapping DVDs.

DAMN

:3: :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
What is the video inversion problem? I have never activated breadcrumbs at all, and never experienced a problem with my navagation. Just curious to know if I should get that update or not?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
paul123,

The screen background turns "black" -- taint very user friendly.

:(

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Thanks, I never experienced probably because never used the breadcrumbs. You guys think I should go for the update on my next visit? I don't think it could hurt? Any news on whether the new DVD may give us some of the new features of the next generation nav?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
paul123 said:
Thanks, I never experienced probably because never used the breadcrumbs. You guys think I should go for the update on my next visit? I don't think it could hurt? Any news on whether the new DVD may give us some of the new features of the next generation nav?
I would definitely get it fixed Paul. You never know when you may be out in the sticks and need to use them. Those of us that live in areas not mapped use them all the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
srpbep,

Did you have the update done at Metro? I will need to get mine updated the next time I get the oil changed (within a few weeks).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ifeldman,

I have not had it done yet. We have our X serviced in Valencia [we live out that way]. Our X was taken in for some warranty issues on Tuesday evening. When I was there, I saw a BRAND NEW Service Advisory notice [don't remember the exact heading but it was NOT a TSB]. This notice announced:

** Acura had the fix for the Nav video inversion problem.

** Acura will be sending the dealers a "software update". Note the "will be", the dealers do NOT have the update DVD yet.

** The rest of the advisory presented the process [e.g. load the software from the "new DVD", then replace the customer's DVD in the unit].

Sooooo .... don't know when the dealers will have the new software. It might be in a week, then again, could be Christmas!! Sorry if my 1st message was confusing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How to elicit inversion problem

I'm still trying to get a handle on this problem. Let me see if I understand...

The breadcrumb feature comes on automatically in uncharted areas and cannot be activated by a Nav user through the menu structure, right?

When in breadcrumb mode, Nav screen sometimes goes blank. So the only way to verify if the problem exists is to be in an unmapped location. Correct?

Does it happen after a certain length of time or distance traveled?

Your input is appreciated.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts