Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

___Just a few questions in regards 2002/2003 MDX/Accord NAVI vs. something like Streets and Trips 2002 with the GPS plug-in capability on a laptop. By the little I know of the latest NAVI capability, it not only has ~ 9 times as many POI as S&T’s (7 Million vs. 800,000) but it real time tracks you on the road with multiple views and voice navigation, correct? For anyone that has ever used S&T’s on a Laptop for vacation use, how does it compare for what most use it for? Do most use their MDX NAVI for planning/arriving to the destination with real time direction as well as information on local Hotel’s and entertainment venues or as a simple trip planner? Are S&T’s features too simplistic in comparison? Is S&T’s tracking capability even close with the 15 second delay vs. the NAVI setup most here use on a daily basis? The NAVI will show you/tell you to turn whereas the S&T’s will just show your position on a map, correct? Can NAVI be updated more than once per year?

___I really need to read up on NAVI directly since S&T’s reviews have a wealth of information on trip planning and location but hardly a peep in regards to real time tracking and use w/ a GPS setup. If anyone has links of interest on the 2003 NAVI, I would be very interested in reading up on the technology myself. It would probably answer all my questions as well? I really cannot afford it but I am interested given all the rave reviews here in the MDX forums.

___Thanks for any and all replies.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
112 Posts
As an alternative, you might want to investigate DeLorme's Street Atlas Deluxe with GPS option. I use it regularly and am very pleased with it. It is much less expensive than the MDX Navi option and has many of it's features. Granted, using a laptop is not as convenient as having an in-dash unit, but with the laptop/GPS you have the flexibiliy of using it in any vehicle. I use an inverter to power the laptop for any extended application. DeLorme has ample POI's, voice activation for features such as zooming, right left up down and will "announce" upcoming turns with distance, direction of turns, etc. if you have requested the software to plan your route for you (options are presented for the route planning like Shortest, Scenic, Preferred, etc.). Updates are available at least annully, if I remember correctly. You also have the ability to add your own roads, POI's, etc. and save them in separate files, as well as saving your routes (annual trip to the beach, mountains, etc.). You can even record your drive and save it for playback at real-time speeds or 2X, 10X, etc. speed. I believe their web address is www.delorme.com - just FYI...

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sar10:

___Thank you for excellent information as well as the end user “in the field use” comments. 4.2 Million POI, real time GPS tracking, web based trip updates whenever you are attached to the net although the description is vague, and a nice range of voice prompts. You have provided me with a great alternative. Can you use your own GPS receiver or are you forced to use the Delorme sold item? When you are using the voice prompting features, how accurate is it with road noise at speed and/or while the radio is playing? Can it be programmed to give you (via voice) the upcoming turns automatically or do you have to prompt it each time?

___On a similar note, do you use your Laptop as the portable DVD player for the kids? My sister uses hers by strapping it to the arm rest in her jeep and her kids love it. The price cannot be beat of course but it does not have that built in look either …

___Thanks again

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Xcel,
DeLorme is compatible with most major brand GPS units. It is a selectable parameter within the software. There is even an option for "Generic GPS". In my work, I use the DeLorme unit because that is what my employer supplies. For my personal use (I liked it so much I bought the DeLorme software myself),I use a GPS unit which came with a Rand McNally product. My use of the voice activated feature is limited, so I cannot provide a great deal of info. As I remember, there was some problem with road noise, etc., but I was just using the built-in microphone in my laptop sitting on the passenger seat. I suspect that better results could be had with a headphone earpiece/microphone unit(e.g. cellphone hands free unit). The voice prompts are also programmable - you can turn the feature on or off. Shortcut keys are available for use through your lpatop keyboard. If you like, you can leave them on for the duration of the trip that DeLorme has "routed" for you. You can alter the route (for instance from point A to point B, but with a detour from the most direct route to point C) by specifying "Via" or "Stop" prior to arriving at "Finish".

As for the kids, well, those days are over, but two of my daughters who have small ones use small TV/VCR combos for trips and swear by them. To paraphrase the commercial - "Don't leave home without it!". One of those daughters is an MDX owners, also. Another is an RSX owner, so...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts