Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 05 Nav screen is wonky. I've read several other threads here, but still not sure what to do.

symptoms - backup camera worked only intermittently for years. Then screen would be black most of the time, but sometimes show "Navigation" loading screen and freeze on that. Other times it worked OK again.

After much research, I replaced the screen with one from ebay. Everything worked right away! I thought it was fixed. But after 2-3 days it started doing the same stuff again. My wife thinks using the remote starter causes the Nav screen to not work... sheesh! sounds crazy.

I read about cleaning the lens on the DVD, so I'll try that I guess, but I never get the "disc read error" people are mentioning, so I'm doubtful it will help. Any ideas?
Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
577 Posts
DVD-ROM drive under the passenger seat. Looks like this. It’s a pain in the ass to get it out! Even more of a pain to put it back in and plug the very short connectors back in. Move the whole seat up as close as you can to the front dash and take a picture of the connections for future reference when you plug it back up. I’m guessing you’ve tried to get a new disk from your Acura dealer (don’t trust EBay...many on there are fakes!), but if it keeps resetting and freezing on the Acura World startup screen it’s probably the ROM drive. Try contacting LKQ for a replacement drive. Call them and verify it’s the right unit that matches YOUR car. They can be different and then it won’t work. Just a warning though, I replaced mine and it worked flawlessly for 6 months and then started acting up again. Now sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. Bad part is that screen controls the ability to change between vent controls and heater blower speeds so it’s necessary to repair if you can.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took out the DVD and cleaned the lens. It worked perfectly for a couple days but now it's back to intermittent as before.
Any chance the screen would work for heat control only if I just unplug the DVD? Which plugs? (there are a lot of them).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts