Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question about Canadian MDXs. Why do they only make NAV or RES MDXs in U.S.A??????? how about Canada????? Do Canadians don't want those things?????? If NAV is availble in Canada I'll buy the NAV but I just don't wanna drive to Seattle just to get a NAV.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, I agree,,,WE don't even get the choice...just one model and that's no Nav or RES, not even the rear backup camera system which I think should be standard, but it wouldn't play on that
plain blue LCD screen....I could probably live without Nav, especially here in the Prairies where there isn't a whole lotta ways to take the wrong road, but I like the idea of a factory integrated RES...saves a lot of hassle going to look aftermarket for all this stuff...

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you guys think the in dash trip computer a little bit annoying somethime??? e.g air con, if you want the fan speed to go slower you have to push the button 5 to 6 times to get there. I really think is unfair for Canadian buyers that way, Touring model only. In U.S.A they have 4 choices (5 in 2003) base, base nav, touring, touring nav. Really really unfair :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yes. It is sometimes annoying while tried to set to the lower speed. So most of time, I set it to either FULL auto, or turn off then turn on again, instead of push 4~5 times.

2002 Acura MDX! said:
Do you guys think the in dash trip computer a little bit annoying somethime??? e.g air con, if you want the fan speed to go slower you have to push the button 5 to 6 times to get there. I really think is unfair for Canadian buyers that way, Touring model only. In U.S.A they have 4 choices (5 in 2003) base, base nav, touring, touring nav. Really really unfair :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Could it be that the Navi is not offered in Canada because the roads have not been mapped to put on a DVD yet?

Just an idea?

·
Registered
125 Posts
marktr6 said:
Could it be that the Navi is not offered in Canada because the roads have not been mapped to put on a DVD yet?

Just an idea?
This was in fact the corporate line from the Acura dealer when I bought my car - not enough maps in Canada (only have it for a few major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, etc). It may be true to say Acura/Honda does not have DVD maps in Canada, but these maps are certainly available for aftermarket system like Apline.
I am holding on from getting an aftermarket system because I am still hopeful that one day we canucks will get the stock Navi retrofit to our Xs = make better use of the LCD screen. But my patience is running thin ......:(

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Wongster...

What you said is also what they told me. So I went out and bought the Garmin StreetPilot III. It now comes with two CDs so the entire 48 contiguous states are fully mapped (every town and city) with five million points-of-interest. For Canada, Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria, Calgary, Banff, Canmore, Toronto (including the entire golden-horseshoe area), Niagara Falls area, Windsor, Ottawa and Montreal are all mapped. Also included with the StreetPilot III are the "base maps" (with major highways) for all of North America, so you could route from Vancouver to Quebec City (for example) without a problem.:1:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, a retro-fit would be great at some future point, but my concern is that the LCD blue screen is no capable of displaying NAv (or video
for that matter) A retro fit would mean changing the screen as well. and to me it is very unlikely to ever happen...What torks me most is the RES system not available. It is available in the Odyssey, and Pilot, and has nothing to do with mapping, etc...I'm tempted to check to see If a Pilot RES can be ordered and fit into the MDX somehow, at least it would integrate better with the interior.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Wongster, Curtsan...

No retrofit for the NAV is possible because the wiring harness is not compatible.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Wongster said:
... still hopeful that one day we canucks will get the stock Navi retrofit to our Xs = make better use of the LCD screen. ......:(
Is a stock Navi retrofit even a rumor? Anybody know???:eek:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wongster said:

This was in fact the corporate line from the Acura dealer when I bought my car - not enough maps in Canada (only have it for a few major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, etc). It may be true to say Acura/Honda does not have DVD maps in Canada, but these maps are certainly available for aftermarket system like Apline.
I am holding on from getting an aftermarket system because I am still hopeful that one day we canucks will get the stock Navi retrofit to our Xs = make better use of the LCD screen. But my patience is running thin ......:(
But hey, I'm in Vancouver. West Vancouver that is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
West Van too

I'm in West Van too. I guess it would be too difficult to get a nav that can track across the Lions Gate. I agree there is a market for the nav/res in Canada. Acura either hasn't explored, or perhaps making it a bilingual system is what stops them. Who knows?

·
Registered
587 Posts
available in 2004

Honda have said NAV will be available in all models for 2004. This has always been a sore spot with me as I travel 3 or 4 months a year in the US and could use the system. I have no doubt Honda lost sales over this, I traded in my wife's CL for an Infiniti just to get a NAV system. It's been no different in Canada than in the US, populated areas are mapped, we just have fewer populated areas.
I'm holding off for a 04. Regards.

·
Registered
249 Posts
2002 Acura MDX! said:
. In U.S.A they have 4 choices (5 in 2003) base, base nav, touring, touring nav. Really really unfair :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3: [/B]
No base/Nave in 03

·
Registered
103 Posts
2002 Acura MDX! said:
But your consolation prize is the much much lower price you pay for the MDX. Too bad about the NAV, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good point about the price

And some previous posts indicated Canadians didn't want to drive south just to get a nav system. Considering the price difference that would be an unbelievably expensive nav system.

Better to pay less in Canada, me thinks, even if we are constantly lost.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts