Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to have Xmas traffic to get auto rerouting in NAV . I have 17 MDX with connect package and noticing that nav doesn’t seem to reroute when there is accident.

I checked the nav setting and it’s set to reroute . What else I am missing . I do TRF on the side of the map whatever that means .

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Do I need to have Xmas traffic to get auto rerouting in NAV . I have 17 MDX with connect package and noticing that nav doesn’t seem to reroute when there is accident.

I checked the nav setting and it’s set to reroute . What else I am missing . I do TRF on the side of the map whatever that means .
I don’t think the car automatically reroutes. I’ve never had the car automatically reroute. I think you have to go to traffic,then find the incident,then reroute. I hope I’m wrong,but I haven’t seen it.

·
Registered
869 Posts

Current MDX doesn't use XM traffic. Ever. Previous versions of AcuraLink did use XM traffic, but 3rd-gen MDX has so-called AcuraLink the Next Generation. Traffic data is received by cellular data service using a built-in cellular device. Not all areas are monitored for traffic, and not all areas are served by the required AT&T cellular service.

Do you see colored lines along major roads indicating traffic flow? Green for free-slowing, yellow for slow, red for "oh snap"?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Prior to the 17, there was a setting called server routing or something and you had to enable it to get automatic rerouting. But i can't remember if the 17 went to hd traffic service. If you see this setting, it should reroute on its own once enabled.

The 17 is a bit of an odd ball for the navi. They made sufficient changes to it that it had some issues sprout up that 14-16 didn't experience and then the 18 went total Android.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do see this in nav setting

So connect package doesn’t include XM traffic . I do not see colored lines during NAV ..

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hmm no colored lines usually means you're not getting any TRF feed (yet you see TRF on the lower left). I suppose it could be possible that HERE just isn't providing traffic data in your area? Do you also have trouble receiving HD FM radio in your area?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Traffic data is received by cellular data service using a built-in cellular device. Not all areas are monitored for traffic, and not all areas are served by the required AT&T cellular service.
The 2017 does not use cellular for traffic... the traffic info is received over HD radio.

Only some metro areas broadcast traffic data over HD radio.

https://coverage.here.com/hd-coverage.html

·
Registered
695 Posts
So another 3rd gen downgrade....

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I prefer the HD nav. My wife's Infiniti uses SiriusXM and we both agree the traffic on my MDX is superior. Not to mention free, compared to the SiriusXM, which has a monthly fee.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The 2017 does not use cellular for traffic... the traffic info is received over HD radio.

Only some metro areas broadcast traffic data over HD radio.

https://coverage.here.com/hd-coverage.html
Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Our 2014 MDX is cellular traffic only. My new 2019 RDX has HD radio traffic, as did my previous 2016 Honda Pilot. And stand-alone Garmin automotive GPS receivers have had HD radio traffic for a decade or two.

AcuraLink cellular traffic is the oddball, and not in a good way IMO. I'm not really thrilled about being billed $208 per year to maintain traffic service on a rather dysfunctional built-in GPS system. And now the AcuraLink button in our MDX is glowing red, which is probably not a good sign.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So basically Acura link sucks for traffic but connect package includes traffic rerouting based on traffic conditions.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
So basically Acura link sucks for traffic but connect package includes traffic rerouting based on traffic conditions.
not on the 2017, no.

·
Registered
869 Posts
HD radio traffic does not require an AcuraLink subscription.

The AcuraLink website is a pathetic mess; it's full of misinformation.

When in doubt, read the fine manual. Navigation manual, in this case. Get it from Owners.Acura.com

Of note, the setting for traffic rerouting is OFF by default.

Also note that the symbol to the left of "TRF" matters. If it's a couple cars, then traffic data is being received and displayed.

traffic_rerouting.jpeg

traffic_rerouting_setting.jpeg

traffic_status.jpeg

·
Registered
605 Posts
I prefer the HD nav. My wife's Infiniti uses SiriusXM and we both agree the traffic on my MDX is superior. Not to mention free, compared to the SiriusXM, which has a monthly fee.
Agree, biggest benefit of hd radio sourced traffic updates and rerouting is the fact it never requires a subscription and is always free.

Not to mention its supposed to get updated data much faster than satellite xm and is supposed to be more accurate.

Biggest downside is if you live in an area that isn't in a metro area as they might not provide coverage there. Although to be fair that same problem exists for xm nav traffic as well, possibly just not to the same extent. Even if you get xm signal they don't build and maintain real time traffic for every road in the country, they focus on metro areas where the traffic is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts