Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month I should pick up my MDX with NAV but I have some concerns regarding unmapped areas. I currently live in a town that is not listed in the detailed areas. Does this mean that I will not be able to choose a street route between myself and say either another unmapped town or even a mapped town? It would seem to me that unless you chose two detailed areas next to each other or you chose a start and destination within a single detailed area this feature would not work. I know that Alpine is planning to include all towns and cities in a 2003 release but until then the Nav not as useful as I once thought?

·
681 Posts
Not Detailed Does NOT Mean Not Mapped

Fortunately the situation is NOT as you fear. Detail mapping shows all streets and highways, ATMs, hospital etc. etc. but even if an area is not detail mapped you can still compute a route from major intersection and/or center of town. For example, my home area, Charleston SC was not detail mapped until the current (2.05) release. I still got a LOT of use out of the NAV and planned many trips to areas all over the country. My little side street was not on the map then, but an intersection less than a mile away was. Granted, the NAV would NOT find every street address and ATM in my neighborhood but it did have all federal, state and county roads and major street intersections. Even going between two un-detail mapped address you can still route the trip town-center to town-center.
Of course, having EVERY McDonalds in the country at your fingertips will be great but in the mean time you should get plenty of use out of the system.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roadrunner, this helps alleviate the fear that convincing my wife that we needed Nav more than the Touring package was a bad idea.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I found you can use the "mouse" and the zoom in/out function to set a point to go. You don't need exact address but you can see a town, subdivision, all roads... and just approximately pick a spot you are going.. Quite handy.

I also found even telephone number database is incredibly easy. Enter a phone number of a popular place to go.. can easily find the location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts