Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just found that my screen goes black everytime I start the car and I reverse almost after seconds the engine is running. This happens when I remotely start the car, and just get in. In my settings I turn the backup camera on when reverse is selected, and I found that really annoying. This issue isn't related to temperature (around -5 c today) so, it's really a software issue, I don't even get the message to push the ok button, etc.

I'll wait to go for the my first service and mention this error. hope there is an upgrade or anything that not involve a reset of my config.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does the screen eventually turn on? My system does something like that but the camera eventually turns on a couple seconds after putting it in reverse. I have attributed it to the molasses-like lag of the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the main problem is the processor inside MDX headunit is simply not powerful enough and i doubt there is a way to fix this unless Acura hires some good software people to work on optimize the headunit OS since it's impossible to change the hardware.

It's especially apparent when you start up the car and reverse right away since the head unit is still settling down it's booting preparation. I think it's just like the first a few mins after you switch on your computer, it lags a bit because OS is still preparing resources.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It's a computer booting up. It's going to take some time. To tell you the truth,I have never even noticed it. I guess I was never in that much of a hurry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the screen eventually turn on? My system does something like that but the camera eventually turns on a couple seconds after putting it in reverse. I have attributed it to the molasses-like lag of the system.
Nope, just all black until I restart the car. I don't know what's inside, but looks like a really slow system. I had the bad idea to put a 64gb stick with my music inside, it takes 5 minutes to allow me to move folders.

I'm looking for the ctr-alt-del version with the buttons, just to be sure it's the startup routine the problem.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
unless Acura hires some good software people to work on optimize the headunit OS since it's impossible to change the hardware.
I doubt Acura has any software people working on this - this infotainment system is almost certainly a turnkey system provided by a vendor (Alpine/Panasonic) - perhaps with some customization based on specs from Acura.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah I think you're right. They told me to call a specific line for the infotainment issues last time and it sounded like they were Alpine and not Acura. Also doesn't sound like they're working on fixing much (e.g. when asked about the 3 sec BT delay, they said that they have no plans to do anything with the BT module).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm getting a rear camera / black screen when reversing too. However the circumstances when my glitch occurs is a little different. If I'm parallel parking, and go R-D-R the rear camera screen goes black and stays black. If I shift back to D the screen still stays black, but then if I shift one more time to R, the camera and screen come back to life. For whatever reason, this only seems to happen when I'm "Driver 2." The car is brand new, and so I have not yet brought this to the attention of the dealer.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm getting a rear camera / black screen when reversing too. However the circumstances when my glitch occurs is a little different. If I'm parallel parking, and go R-D-R the rear camera screen goes black and stays black. If I shift back to D the screen still stays black, but then if I shift one more time to R, the camera and screen come back to life. For whatever reason, this only seems to happen when I'm "Driver 2." The car is brand new, and so I have not yet brought this to the attention of the dealer.
Obviously this is an issue that should be fixed. I think in the time we have had the car. That happened once in our first month. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see this D-R-D-R black-screen thing pretty frequently with my 2016 MDX-AdvTech. The dealer claims the problem doesn't exist, but it makes parallel parking pretty annoying.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It exists. Specifically doing a parallel park maneuver. Even more specifically, if you use the right turn signal it will happen just about every single time.

American Honda has known of this for awhile. And the vendor is currently working on yet another update for the infotainment system that will address this a a handful of other issues.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have this problem also. Do not expect any Acura fix ever. All feedback we give to Acura only helps them improve their future products, not fix any issues their current customers have. Their words, not mine. This is the reason I will never ever purchase another Honda or Acura product again. I have owned many. Never again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts