Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura has made some improvements to the NAV unit during 3rd gen. That said, yesterday I got trapped in 2 hours worth of traffic at 5 mph in part because of the inability of the NAV unit to help. The accident slowing traffic did not show even though it was there for hours, and the red lines were mostly invisible. I am paying $159 a year to Acura to have traffic but it seems a waste of money. Other than going to an interface to use NAV off a smart phone, has anyone found a solution to be able to read the NAV traffic in a MDX? My 06 RL was fine.

Also had to make a call but the voice commands did not work correctly, and I had to stop to enter a number. Are there any solutions to getting the phone in the car to work easily? To be frank, I pretty much made the decision yesterday to not only get rid of my MDX but to recommend to others against buying one. The engine, driveline etc are great, the appearance is great but the ride and electronics are only a "C" quality which is unacceptable to me. I've owned a 2014 and 2015 Sh-Awd Tech Nav. The 2014 NAV was worse but the phone worked better.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My two newest company cars, a 2016 Ford Explorer and 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee both had real time traffic data that would change your route based on traffic, but neither nearly as good as Waze if you are familiar with that. With the real time interface with "passive" user reporting there is nothing in an OEM nav system that comes close IMO.

Nav technology isn't one of those things that each individual manufacturer develops on their own, they purchase it from one of the big outfits, which is why you see Sony, Bose, etc., in cars now. One of the latest trends in factory head systems is to allow mirroring of a bluetooth connected smart phone on the display screen and that should be a sweet setup.

All that said, the market is changing so fast even now that systems 2-3 years from now will be so much better than what is being sold today and one of the big advantages of leasing a new car every 3 years, but that's a huge expense compared to driving a quality car for 10+ years.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I've used the traffic in my 15 occasionally and also had it reroute on several occasions. However the display of the red traffic lines could use a dramatic improvement. Did you try going into the info menu and hitting traffic? That pulls up traffic around you. For the phone compatibility it varies by device and OS. I've found using Google Assistant to make calls is more efficient than messing with the Acura voice assistant.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've used the traffic in my 15 occasionally and also had it reroute on several occasions. However the display of the red traffic lines could use a dramatic improvement. Did you try going into the info menu and hitting traffic? That pulls up traffic around you. For the phone compatibility it varies by device and OS. I've found using Google Assistant to make calls is more efficient than messing with the Acura voice assistant.
Yes -unfortunately traffic shows maybe 20 congestion events that are locked while the car is moving. Each is a small section of surface streets nearby meaning each intersection where traffic is slow there are 4 posts. If you are on or near a BLVD with lights every 1/8th mile or so that is 4 events for each light and 2 more events for the segments in between. For 2 intersections that is like 12 events that say congestion in that 1/8th mile. The accidents that are maybe 5 miles ahead that one would want to avoid are pages down - and many times they won't show although the congestion will but one does not know why. With some BLVD running parallel to the freeway in some places there might be 10 - 20 traffic lights nearby that are each showing 4 - 12 congestion events. Also an accident 10 miles away on a completely different freeway may show while the one near you and 3 miles ahead does not.At least here in Sacramento it is messed up. I could live with the limited events but you really can't see the red traffic lines unless you pull over and stop, then stare at the screen long enough to figure what is there.

I understand that HERE is owned by a conglomerate of car companies but none the less, the same system in my 2006 RL worked fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts