Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Tech canadian version

Reading about updating the terrible maps that I now have, I find owners talking about inserting a DVD in the drive under the seat. I have no drive under the seat. Is the DVD just inserted into the DVD drive on the dash?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The DVD drive under the seat are for the 07-09 MDX with the older DVD based systems. The 10-13 MDX Navi stores the info on the internal hard-drive. You need to insert the update disk into the dash CD/DVD drive to start the map update and enter the ID code that came with the disk that is specific to your VIN/Database #. Once the DVD data is loaded on the hard-drive, it still takes several hours using the satellite link to fully update the entire database (should see an icon in the corner for that). It does this update in the background and you can drive the MDX normally until it is done.

It tells you to keep the car running so the battery doesn't run down during the 20-30 min DVD database upload. I didn't do this thinking how can the update kill the battery in 20 mins? Sure enough, it did kill my battery and I had to jump the MDX after the initial DVD upload (still on OEM battery on 11 MDX).

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It might not be worth it unless you travel in areas in Canada with little to no cell service for your smartphone. I think you have to purchase the USA disk and then load the Canadian disk on top of that; which, really increases the cost (not 100% sure on this). I use the MDX navi, wife's work iPhone with verizon, and our personal iPhones with AT&T when we travel from coast-to-coast. Each one is not the 100% solution; but, all three provides 100% coverage for traveling.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My phone is a stupid phone, so using it for nav is not an option.

We just got back from a vacation in northern Ontario, and the MDX nav could not give us good directions, even when we were on 4 lane major highways. Luckily, we have an old Garmin with good maps and it was able to direct us right down to the gravel roads to the cottage where we were staying. I like the idea of the MDX nav, since it lowers the volume on the radio when it announces a turn. With the Garmin, the radio can drown out the oral instructions.

I've not looked at costs yet, so you may well be right, and I'll likely pass.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Don't buy the Spring 2015 Update. Navtech pulled a quick ripoff. The only thing they updated is the title. $149 plus tax and shipping for that. I'm fumed!

In Quebec
- No map for Interstate 35 Extension in Quebec.
- No map roads update before and after Champlain Bridge.
- Only one Costco show up when search by Shopping. By place name not even shows up at all.

TOM TOM Spring 2015 update had these updated.

In Massachusetts
- putting one of Boston hospital's address 800 Washington St., Boston, MA...it took me to 800 Washington St., Brighton, MA. [Brighton is part of Boston]. Then rerouted me through a dead-end road.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tks nzone. On the Acura site, they go into a lot of detail about the areas covered and it specifically mentions the area where I was. They are full of it. It would be better if the damn thing just said "I'm lost". Instead it gives wrong directions. Thankfully, we had the Garmin and google maps printouts.

I've read enough comments on the Acura nav system to know that I would be wasting my time complaining to Acura. They clearly don't care.

Tks again.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for giggle, I emailed Acura Canada to ask if they could tell me what updates are included in the latest nav DVD. They wrote back telling me to call Navteq. I called Navteq. The guy there was not friendly at all. His reply was to tell me to go the dealership, get into a 2016 model and play with the nav. Great customer service!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a 2010. Is there a way to determine the version that it's loaded with?
Here is the link to show you how to check your database version: The Official Acura Map Update Site | Find Id | HERE. If you never updated your Navi database, there is a good chance it has data from 2009 depending on when your MDX was made.

Here is the link for ordering the latest 2015 disk; but, a newer 2016 disk is due out in a few weeks. Most of the time, the disk will be discounted around spring time to either $149 or $99 (about $199 reg price): The Official Acura Map Update Site | Acura NA | 2015 Green DVD Map Update | HERE

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've learned quite a bit since starting this thread.

First, Canadians should go to the US site for the most up to date information. As is often the case, Acura Canada is behind the curve here. I spoke to someone at the Canadian office about when a new disk was due out, as I didn't want to buy a disk, only to have it out of date in a few weeks. The Canadian office had no idea. The US site, though, says right on the site that a new disk is due out within a few weeks. Thanks Acura Canada - not.

Second, as to cost, on the US site, it is shown right now - with no deals - as $149 and $3.50 shipping. In Canada, we pay $179, which isn't too bad considering the lower Canadian dollar. However, we pay $32.50 in shipping!!

Third, following the instructions that Mrgold linked to will show you how to get the information you need to order a new disk. Unfortunately, the information you get will not work on the Canadian order site. The database version that comes up on the screen is not recognized by the Canadian order site as being valid. (At least, the info from my 2013 MDX was not.) You have to call the Canadian office. They can override the system so that the order can go through. The nice lady at the Canadian office told me that they see this all the time.

Finally, there is no way to find out what new information has been added from the time of your last update. The snarky guy at the Canadian Navteq office told me that I should "go to a dealer, get in a 2016 and play with the nav unit" to see if the roads that I was interested in are now included. Great customer service.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Sounds like the best bet is to invest in an aftermarket dash mounted Navi with free/reasonable database updates. Your current 2013 map would still be the 80-90% solution in urban areas when you don't want a lot wires on the dash. The price for the Acura Navi disk would pay for a pretty good system that can used in other vehicles or rental cars if you fly around Canada or USA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The other day I needed to go to a street in downtown Indianapolis that was well populated by 1927 (the earliest reference I could find). Was it in my 2010's nav system? NOPE! WTH?

·
Registered
675 Posts
A $200 TOM TOM portable GPS is far superior to the built-in Pioneer/NavTec on MDX plus free lifetime map and live traffic. What I missed the most is one feature that Garmin had 12 years ago where it displays the distance to the upcoming exit and/or rest area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts