Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

NAV in MDX compared to Lexus

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TheWorm 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen the Nav in the Lexus'? I was at the NY Auto Show and was checking out the Nav in the LX450 (the Land Cruiser copy) and it was FAR superior to the X's. The lines on the map were actually in a 3D type of display, and the screen was touch sensitive for positioning the crosshairs. Whats the likelyhood that we might see some better graphics out of a newer release?

#2 ·
Interesting... my inlaws actually have the Lexus SC coupe and it has the nav in it. I actually like the MDX way better. Graphics aside (which are aguable) the actual usage of the Alpine system is much better than that of the Pioneer. Just my two cents...

#3 ·
We have Nav in our '00 Lexus. Keep in mind, it's harddrive-based and not their newer DVD-based units. I believe Denso made it. Not sure on what s/w changes, if any, have occured since then.

I find the Lexus nav menu-structure more intuitive. However, the part I dislike on the Lexus nav is you (uh. I mean your passenger) can't use it while the car's moving. Thus, stuck in a rushhour jam at -0-mph is actually preferable to creeping.

Folks say there are fewer POIs on the Lexus...could be...I haven't had any problems...I actually find it more accurate, quicker, and more intuitive for finding POIs-by-distance than the Acura.

IMO if the Lexus worked while the car was moving, it'd be preferable to the Acura's. As is, it's a draw...

#4 ·
I can totally agree that it's a tie when it comes to comparing the NAV in the X with your Lexus, however, I should've been clearer when I posted the first message. What I should've said was that I'm familiar with the current NAV for the Lexus', but the one that I saw at the car show that's coming out in the 2002 models looks totally different. Its not the same experience at all. The look and feel of the new nav system and the menu system is laid out with feel of Windows. Its got this new graphical display that looks as though it were something you'd see on news to track weather. The entire display appeard as though you were looking at it from an angle. Its difficult to really explain, but it seemed like the "next-gen" of vehicle NAV.

Does anyone have or know someone who has a 2002 Lexus 450? If so, does what I described sound like the NAV? It might just be that it was something special for the car show.

Jesse

#5 ·
Sorry 'bout that jessenj, I was replying to cdawg's post more than yours. My bad.

Infiniti has the 3D thing going on, too. Not sure who makes theirs, tho.

Wonder if you can change the "perspective" on the 3D units to different angles if one prefers the "birdseye" view like ours.

I have a service scheduled on the Lexus next week. If no one else figures it out by then (standard or show-special) I'll go into the showroom and play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.