Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While playing with the nav on my new mdx, I just discovered that there is no "detail" coverage of the area where I spend the summers: Berkshire County, MA; only the Interstates and major state highways appear. Surprising, because my other car's GPS, a Garmin portable, does have data for this area, and I thought they all used the same underlying government maps. Garmin fits the whole country on two CD's, which is substantially less capacity than a DVD, so that's not the issue.

Is there any way to purchase or otherwise obtain more areas, or are we stuck with what we get?

·
Registered
259 Posts
We're stuck with what we've got:3: There have been several discussion threads regarding coverage. It seems that the '03 has a much better database than '01's & 02's probably due to a higher density DVD machine. But it appears that 'it is what it is' and the only options are to buy an update, if and when one comes out.:6:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
not holding my breath...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
The '03 Nav coverage isn't perfect either. Road changes in my home town which were completed over a year ago are MIA. :3:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Nav system is very easy to use. It is very intuitive, by far the best in that regard that I have used. Having said that, as compared to my wife's BMW nav system, the ACURA system sucks. The BMW system has far more detail, including all street names on the map as well as names of places on the map as well. Its graphics are far superior as well.

In general, while I love the nav feature, and would absolutely recommend it, there is room for lots of improvement.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't think you '01-'02 people think you got completely gypped. The '03 Nav is far from perfect.

I just took a college road trip from Chicago to Bloomington Indiana and back, and let me tell you, "Suzie Navigation" has a mind of her own a lot of the time. "Why go 10 miles up to your destination when I can take you 50 miles the other way and THEN back to your destination" Obviously an exaggeration, but sometimes the choices the computer makes for you make NO sense.

Then as I'm driving around downtown Bloomington (i.e. big college town), I get to listen to the nav tell me EVERY 3 seconds "entering unverified area, please exercise caution, etc. etc." Since this huge town had obviously not been mapped other than the main streets, it was difficult relying on the system, and I finally just shut off the voice. I was a little dissapointed that "Hodunk" Indiana is mapped but Bloomington wasn't.

Also, many of my home town's gas stations have either closed or changed brands but the '03 Nav is still outdated in this area. For example, it shows an Amoco icon, but in reality it's been a Marathon for a year.

I love the nav, but it's not like the '03 one fixed all the old problems.

But I have one question. It's very helpful how my nav goes to a split screen telling me what direction to go when approaching a split in the highway or something, and I was wondering if the '01-'02 nav had this feature.

I really think it's worthwhile. Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever get the right turn. When she says turn in the next 1/2 mile, I still have no clue where she's talking about. That split screen guide is a life saver!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes the 01/ 02 has that feature. It will count down the feet to the turn on the screen as well. It will go into a split screen just like the 03. We do not have the "unverified area" problem. Just a blank screen. Kinda cool though cause it looks like you are off roading sometimes. Don't get me wrong though...my idea of offroading is missing the driveway and touching the grass with a tire when backing into garage.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts