Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I currently have a 2006 with NAV and RES. Thinking about getting a 2014 Elite (Canada) (Advance in the USA, I think).

I'm wondering about the performance of the two screens in the 2014. I know in my 2006, when it's sub zero (Celsius) until the interior warms up, then touch screen is very dim and sluggish.

Thanks.

PS. Almost 400 000 KM on my 2006 and trouble free (except Bluetooth module in ceiling is not working). I hope I'm not making a grievous error getting a 2014.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Heh, many would joke that the 2014-2017 infotainment system (especially the 2014) is sluggish regardless of temperatures. You may want to really test the thing out before you make a decision to buy it if this is your critical decision point.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm wondering about the performance of the two screens in the 2014. I know in my 2006, when it's sub zero (Celsius) until the interior warms up, then touch screen is very dim and sluggish.
As noted by another poster, the screens are somewhat sluggish regardless - frankly the nav is useless in real world use compared to even a cheap android phone.

That said, I've used my car in very cold weather - minus 20s not uncommon, hit minus 30 a couple times last winter; the responsiveness of the screens (image-wise) was only slightly slower, and totally useable. You may find it reacts even slower to touch (and may not at all to gloves or very cold fingers) in very cold weather, but honestly never had this present serious use issues; warms up quickly enough I guess that not an issue.

Overall, no issues before getting into the minus twenties and lowers, and after that, well, drive it and it warms up pretty quickly.

Biggest complaint I have about cold weather (at least as far as the car goes) is that the A/C is not good at removing moisture from air in cold weather leading to fogging of windows including the front windscreen; best solution to that is turning off cabin air recirc (bring in air from outside the car).

Even with outside air, in cold weather the car is prone to fogging and condensation on the rear passenger windows (icing up if extremely cold); that doesnt bother me much and don't have rear passengers that often.

None of these critical but it's a bit annoying since my 1990-gen saab 9000 was better on both counts (vents in rear pass windows worked exceptionally well).

·
Registered
288 Posts
We probably should start another thread about the fogging. It can be a real problem. It happens to me mostly when I park the car (for a hour or so) and then return to it. When the 3 of us get in, under some weather conditions, most of the glass is fogged up quite a bit - enough that I can't drive until it's clear. I have never experienced such bad fogging in any other car I've had under similar weather conditions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the trigger and picked up a 2014 Elite (Advance in the US). So far, I'm more than happy with the touch screen (version 2. something) and the NAV (maybe because in my 2006 the touch screen needs a serious finger jab to work). Granted a $200 Garmin is probably better (and free maps) but this NAV is so similar to my 2006 (even the voice is the same) that maybe I'm just used to the mediocrity. I do miss being able to enter a destination while in motion like I can in the 2006.

Voice command for me works maybe 90% of the time, so far. I find if I aim my head up and to the right, toward the microphone, my success is greater.

When it comes to fogging - almost all vehicles will not run the A/C compressor below a certain temp (varies by manufacturer) to avoid damage to the compressor. So, very cold weather, you're not going to get any dehumidification help from the A/C and have to depend on heat only. Both my 2006 MDX and TSX, if I load a bunch of people in (especially if wet / damp like after snowboarding) the rear side windows will fog up. The back window has the defroster grid to help and the front sides have the vent pointing at them. No vents for the back, though and fog is a given.

I am impressed with the electrically heated front windshield though, and have experienced no fog there even before the defroster is blowing hot. Can't wait to see if it will melt light ice and snow off.

Speaking of that, any idea why in the US the heated windshield, the folding mirrors and the headlamp washers are unavailable. Lots of northern states experience conditions as bad or worse than we see here in Canada. Also, real olive ash wood here...how hard would it have been to offer it in the US as well? Weird.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Speaking of that, any idea why in the US the heated windshield, the folding mirrors and the headlamp washers are unavailable. Lots of northern states experience conditions as bad or worse than we see here in Canada. Also, real olive ash wood here...how hard would it have been to offer it in the US as well? Weird.
My US-delivered 2017 Advance has the heated windshield and power folding mirrors.

Headlamp washers are unique to the Canadian models.

Honda/Acura is a bit odd with their packages. I don’t know exactly why, although I assume it’s because they’ve done studies and know what they can get away with not offering and what certain markets expect.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh...maybe it was way back in 2014 that none of that was available on US models but they've clued in and started offering it now?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I pulled the trigger and picked up a 2014 Elite (Advance in the US).
Congrats on purchase.

When it comes to fogging - almost all vehicles will not run the A/C compressor below a certain temp (varies by manufacturer) to avoid damage to the compressor. So, very cold weather, you're not going to get any dehumidification help from the A/C and have to depend on heat only. Both my 2006 MDX and TSX, if I load a bunch of people in (especially if wet / damp like after snowboarding) the rear side windows will fog up. The back window has the defroster grid to help and the front sides have the vent pointing at them. No vents for the back, though and fog is a given.

I am impressed with the electrically heated front windshield though, and have experienced no fog there even before the defroster is blowing hot. Can't wait to see if it will melt light ice and snow off.
I recall that for some cars the recommendation is to keep the A/C on at all times and it will run automatically; at any rate I have found in some that A/C in cold weather helps. I assume that it only does this when the A/C unit is warm enough to not cause problems. Whatever, the MDX does not do this.

And what you describe is my main issue - rear passenger windows fog up, problem very bad with more passengers. If cold enough, they'll not just condense on inside but even freeze. Back and front are pretty good with the outside air on (inside recirc off).

I find the electric heat on front windshield mostly effective. If cold, the inside windows can be fogged, but it clears up pretty fast with front defrost option on (the fan that is). A minor complaint is that it is set to blow at maximum like most cars, which annoys me, and it's more fiddly than in other cars to turn down the fan speed (several pushes on touchscreen).

Both of these are pretty minor complaints though - main thing is it has always started up and the windshield wipers clean the screen for safety well.

In very cold weather, there's a basic physical (chemical?) issue that the fluid gets less effective (windscreen too cold) until it's all warmed up a bit, and I've had the fluid freeze in the line to the back wiper. I know some will say you just need better cold-weather fluid, but the reality of minus 25 and below is that no fluid works perfectly.

Doors can also get sticky and even frozen; a friend recommends silicon lubricant, but I've never had it so bad that force didn't work.

Overall though a great car in cold weather. Except for the lack of vent to rear passenger widnows (which saab had 20-odd years ago), it's better than most I've used. Volvo XC90 was comparably good, mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts