Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my X for about 15 months now. For the first year, it had been pretty much ding-free. Lately though, I've been collecting door dings on our black X like flies. Just today, a half-drunk bonehead opened his door while I was sitting in the car, and gave me yet one more ding!

Most of us spent over $40K for our beloved MDX's. We have asked ourselves why a car this expensive does not come with a set of side moldings that costs Acura/Honda a few bucks to put on.

We have all shared the collective heartache of the first door ding each one of us gets! You've all posted and read about the trouble some of us have putting on the side moldings ourselves.

Am I the only one here, or does anyone feel that as owners, we should come together and "demand" Acura to fit (at their expense) a set of side mildings to every MDX sold so that we won't feel so vulnerable and naked everytime we pass an X5 or an RX300 on the road? I am sure that many of the dings on our cars are avoidable simply by having the side moldings that should have been there in the first place!

Afterall, if Honda can put color-matched side moldings on their $13,000 Civics (DX!), why can't they put them on a $40,000 North American Truck Of The Year??

Peeved!

BTW, do you see the standard side moldings on the Honda Pilot??

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree, that the X should have BSMs standard. That's why I added them. I hope they will be standard fare on the 2003's. However, I do not think every X should be retrofitted with them. We bought the car knowing that there weren't BSMs. The Xs lack of BSMs is not an oversight by Acura; it was an intentional design choice. The clean lines of the X are why many people want them, and why they still deserve a premium position over the uglier (IMO) Pilot.

The Pilot does have BSMs, but I think they are more like lower body cladding than simply a strip of plastic glued to the car.

BTW - I was looking at the BSMs on mine yesterday, and think they are starting to discolor a little (I kinda expected that). Then I started thinking, "wouldn't they look good in chrome?"

:18:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
DaleB said:

Maybe the some reason some of us don't want them.
Dale, I think "them" = MDX, not BSM's.

Just looked at your poll that you started about a month ago on "Do you have BSM's" and about 60 % of those responding on this board have them. Since I have been watching for them for the last month or so to see how they look on the X I have yet to see them in person (not picture) on an X. I probably have seen over 30 X's in that period and not one had BSM's.

·
Registered
452 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Dale, I think "them" = MDX, not BSM's.

Just looked at your poll that you started about a month ago on "Do you have BSM's" and about 60 % of those responding on this board have them. Since I have been watching for them for the last month or so to see how they look on the X I have yet to see them in person (not picture) on an X. I probably have seen over over 30 X's in that period and not one had BSM's.
I'd like to see a poll from those folks that have BSM on how many dings they have gotten since installation. Those things are so small they could not possibly be effective. The only real effective treatment would be plastic side clading.

As far as Naked and Vulnerable. Thats the way I like em. Clean lines. Park in the boonies. When you get lazy you will pay the price. I can't believe the number of nice cars I see where people wedge them into ultra small parking spots. Those spots should be marked "clunkers" instead of compact etc.

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen photos (on this board) of X's with BSM's. They certainly does not take away from the clean lines of the car. They just sort of look like the BMW X5!

As for those who jam their clunkers into the compact spaces, perhaps they do deserve to get dinged. But I am talking about those who have no problem swinging the doors of their 72' Camero's (as an example of cars with long doors!) wide open into your trucks and think nothing of it.

When I bought our MDX in April 01, BSM was not even an available option, but gold emblems, wood steering wheel, and running boards were!!

I am pretty sure if the BSM's were built as part of the standard features (like I think it should be), I don't think too many of us would remove them because they make the car look less "clean," and BSM's would not even have become a topic on this board altogether!

:confused:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Dings

I feel the problem is not with the side molding, but the outer metal seems to be pretty thin. I have mine 8 month and had no dings from parking anywhere. I am very careful and always park further away and walk for the added security. I have 2 dings that I did myself! I couldn't believe it, I have nobody to blame but myself! Once I opened the passenger door when I was parked to close to my wife's 2000 Maxima SE and hit her mirror into the passenger door at a point high than the molding. It made a ding right on the bend in the panel. The second time I was swinging a bag of groceries into the rear drivers door, and I hit the molding around the rear wheel. Both hits weren't hard, and it seems to ding very easy. I wish the outside sheet metal was a thicker metal to avoid these dings. It seems as if a small hit makes a ding very easy! How pissed I was when I noticed both of these and no one to blame but myself, very frustrating!!!!!:3:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in agreement with MGTD--I like the clean look of the X. I used to make fun of my husband for parking his CLS in the boonies, but now I don't mock him anymore--I'm out there right with him in the boonies. The clean lines are sharper!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I put the BSMs on after I got my first ding! I haven't gotten any since then, but I don't think I have been hit since then, either (I would guess the BSM would show a hit if I had been hit!).

I am with the group that likes BSMs. I also park in the boonies and I abhor door dings, most of which are entirely avoidable (by the person causing the ding). I think the MDX looks better with them!

Paul - sounds like you are your X's worst enemy! LOL (I feel your pain, I put three chips in the edge of the driver's door by hitting the same bicycle in the garage three days in a row!)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think the X looks good with or without BSMs. Until, of course, it looks like someone's been taking shotgun practice @ your nekkid doors. I see LOADS of BSMless Xs around our hood. Gawd they look awful w/dings galore. I'm gonna try and sneak some pics of one guy's; the sheet metal actually looks punctured on a couple of them!

I'll humor MGTD and report ZERO dings w/BSMs. Not counting the terminal-velocity-pinecone-on-hood or opening-the-hatch-into-a-cement-roof incidents.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MGTD said:
I'd like to see a poll from those folks that have BSM on how many dings they have gotten since installation. Those things are so small they could not possibly be effective. The only real effective treatment would be plastic side clading.
I have documented my story previously but here is the summary:

I ordered my MDX with BSM (third-party, not OEM). When the MDX arrived, the BSM were not in so I was forced to drive around for 2 weeks without. You guessed it - I got a ding when I went to a pretty full lot with tight spaces - I took the furthest space but, alas, when I returned there was a ding EXACTLY in the spot where the BSM would have been. The dealer agreed that it was the same spot and removed the dent for free before installing the BSM. Since then, no dings. Obviously dings are still possible but at least I know that I have taken precautions from getting dings so I don't have to blame myself. Obviously, parking in a large or distant space is the best prevention but it's not always possible.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
No new dings

MGTD said:
I'd like to see a poll from those folks that have BSM on how many dings they have gotten since installation. .. . Park in the boonies.
We have had no dings since installing the BSM - of course we only had one prior to adding BSM (which the BSM covered up) because we park in the boonies all the time.:rolleyes:

As far as looks go I find it six of one and a half dozen of the other. I do not care one way of the other, I do think however that they will help some with dings.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
My brother has a Mahogany, and originally didn't have the BSMs. You guessed it, he got 4 dings two on each side where the BSMs would be. He paid $80 per side ($160) an immediately after ordered the BSMs from Tim.

I've had the BSMs from the beginning, and have yet to have a ding.

Not necessary a direct correlation always, but you could save a few with the BSMs.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
type 1 . . .

Being told that I have the classic type 1 personality with control freak tendencies, I refused to drive my new 'X off the lot w/out the BSM and rear mud guards . . . in retrospect it would have been cheaper to just get the 'X and buy them from Tim to install later, but just like life insurance, it was the peace of mind knowing that I would have some level of protection against the legions of boneheads out there that allows me to sleep at night . . . btw, adding the manik side steps also increases the level of protection as I've noticed folks taking a bit more caution when they open their doors to prevent from smacking against the maniks ! How's that for a pre-emptive strike :2:

·
Registered
312 Posts
MrPrescott said:
The clean lines of the X are why many people want them:18:
My 'them', I meant the MDX, not the BSM. Without the BSM, the lines of the MDX are very clean. That's why somepeople wouldn't want the BSMs.

I've never had a ding yet (knock on wood), and don't necessary avoid tight spaces. I attribute that to the BSMs. They're not foolproof, but certainly help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Dings

paul123 said:
I feel the problem is not with the side molding, but the outer metal seems to be pretty thin.
I agree that the sheet metal on the X's seem to be very thin, and that it dents easily. That is why I think the BSM should be a part of the package!

When I first posted this topic on this forum, I was hoping we can pool together our collective power to get Honda/Acura to take a step towards examplary customer satisfaction, if not offering free BSM's to everyone, at least offer to those who want them. With less then 20,000 MDX's on the road, I doubt Honda will go broke giving us to option to hide those aweful dents.

Besides, what kind of advertising are we (onwers) doing for them driving X's full of dents (our fault or not)? Maybe it's my inferiority complex, but I'm really developing a major case of BSM-envy whenever I stop next to an ML or RX or X-5!

:8:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Envy solved...

BSMs installed today. Only took about 15 minutes and looking good!

I got them from the dealer because I had a scare today, otherwise I would have gone to HondaAcuraWorld and saved a few bucks...

·
Registered
671 Posts
hhwc said:
Envy solved...

BSMs installed today. Only took about 15 minutes and looking good!

I got them from the dealer because I had a scare today, otherwise I would have gone to HondaAcuraWorld and saved a few bucks...
I have a couple of questions. First, not that it's any of my business, but just because I'm curious, how much did you pay for the BSMs? The main reason I ask is because I found that my local dealer will match or closely match Tim's prices on most items, but when I told them about the group buy price ($98) they said "good luck!"

Next question, did you install them flush with the edges of the doors? (i.e. is the one on the rear door flush with the front edge of the rear door, and is the one on the front door flush with the rear edge of the front door?) The reason for this question is that there seems to be a diversity in opinions as to where they should be installed. Of course, the templates help a little, but don't really dictate where they should be with relation to the door edge. I put mine flush, others have varied as much as several inches.

·
Registered
392 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:

I have a couple of questions. First, not that it's any of my business, but just because I'm curious, how much did you pay for the BSMs? The main reason I ask is because I found that my local dealer will match or closely match Tim's prices on most items, but when I told them about the group buy price ($98) they said "good luck!"

Next question, did you install them flush with the edges of the doors? (i.e. is the one on the rear door flush with the front edge of the rear door, and is the one on the front door flush with the rear edge of the front door?) The reason for this question is that there seems to be a diversity in opinions as to where they should be installed. Of course, the templates help a little, but don't really dictate where they should be with relation to the door edge. I put mine flush, others have varied as much as several inches.
I bought my bsm's thru tim in the group buy, but I live in NY so with tax it was around $108, still pretty decent deal. I mounted mine 'almost' even with the door edges, leaving I'd estimate something like 1/16" gap, just to be sure no binding would ever occur on door opening. I wasn't sure before I got the bsm's as to whether I'd like the look, buying them mostly for protection....but boy does the spouse love the look and I do too. Besides, with a silver X, it is one way to somewhat differentiate my X from all the others I've seen (is that up to six yet? :0)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry to say, I paid retail for them ($130) but I figure $20 isn't worth it if I got a ding in the meantime. (At least I saved on dealer labor..:D )

Anyway, regarding the question on spacing, I left roughly 1/8" of spacing from the edge of the door on both the front and rear molding. No particular reason why, just thought it looked a little better. Besides, what are the chances of a door hitting that 1/4" (total) gap? :eek:

I saw a couple of X5s and MLs this morning and no more envy!!!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts