Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Sambuca:

Just found the leaks on both sides...loaded with water in both and the foam under rubber was soaked. Ripped out all soaked foam and rubber boot. Did your seam seal work on both sides? did you ever get the pictures so I can try the same thing? Thanks!
Go back to page 6 and 7 of this thread. Pics can be found there. But if you just want to see what a repaired seam looks like....

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/14-problems/1131-mystery-leak-water-vehicle-7.html#post323247

·
Registered
1 Posts
rain water leak

I have a 2 mdx it have a 97 k on it i got same problem i was cleaning in side i felt some wet carpet then i looked under the carpet there was lots of water i took to dealer they couldn't find the leak then i look at on net find this and pic are really helpfull.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
MDX leak

Found the Leak!!! take a garden hose, start with the wheel wells aim the spray up, next test the A pillar and then the side window and mirror area. test the firewall by aiming the hose at the firewall and squirting. All nothing. I next put the hose in the wiper motor cowling (take out one of the six plastic plugs. Eureka!!! Constant dripping from the inner cowl. Remove the wipers, cowl and replace the leaky cracked push screws that hold the inner cowl on. Took about 45 minutes to find the leak and then another hour to pull off the cowl and run down to the Stealership to get the new push screws. The dealer claimed "we have never heard of a leaking MDX" They wanted $ 500 to diagnose and could not guarantee they could find or fix it. Idiots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So if one didn't want to do the cutting mentioned or remove the fender, is it possible to reach up through the hole underneath after removing the plastic shroud at the rear of the wheel well and give the upper part of the seam a good slather of sealant with a flat stick? If not I'm tempted just to fill that whole upper region with expanding foam and call it a day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
And isn't that stub of rubber hose poking out the drain hose so why would the seam need to be sealed above that?...visible on SuperTech's jpg post on page 7 of this thread labeled "the middle part.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That drain has nothing to do with this leak. Water is creeping through the two layers of sheet metal that are spot welded and poorly sealed there. If you want to seal it properly, the fender has to come off. No way around it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fender removal

Sorry to raise the dead but I am dealing with a water leak in my 2003 and this seems to be the definitive thread.

It feels like I could go for a swim on the floorboards after a rain. I have pulled back the carpeting to aid in drying out the floorboards and discovered that there is a hole in the body right behind the trunk release that it appears water is coming in through. My assumption is that there is a similar hole on the pass side. I assume this is where the leak repaired by the body sealent would manifest itself. I don't mind fixing this myself except I have no idea how much is involved in pulling the fenders past pulling the bumper and inner fender splash shield.

Where do I go from here? Also, is there a good inexpensive aftermarket source for the inevitable broken push screws?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, since the dead is revived, I would like to tackle this on my X also.

I remember when I drove the car down to Florida when the car is still new, there was big storm on the way and the windshield fogged up pretty bad. And I found the driver's carpet is damp.

I drove to the dealer, but they pushed me away saying that this is due to the moisture in the southern land air. Now I realize there is a manufacturing defect on the car.

Though I never notice this wet/fog/water in car since, that's because the car is garage kept.

I also would like to know how to take the fender off. I took a look at the repair manual, but it doesn't have instruction on taking of the fender. Can some one give me a step by step instruction. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ended up having a body shop do the work as they have done this a few times on this model.:28: The Acura delaer acknowledged the flaw and let me know (kindly/professionally) that Acura has never fixed them under warranty. I have 105K on the MDX and it started about a year ago.

Remove cowl plastic
Remove rocker protection
Remove bumper cover
Remove headlights
Remove fenders
Cut hole into bracing to access the seam area behind brace
Seam seal
Possible weld and/or reseal any cut areas
Repaint cut areas
Test for leaks

Reassemble

It cost $600 to have the body shop do both sides ($300/each). The interior is still a bit damp but is drying. There was no mold and no rust under the carpet.

I would liked to have the time to do it myself but it was not going to happen and the rain has been relentless lately.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, I think I am lucky.

After driving in pouring rain several times, I am pretty confirmed that my X does not leak water. The carpet on both sides are totally dry. Maybe it's really the damp south air that caused fog before. Any that's why I didn't notice any water in the car for so many year. Big relief.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've go the same problem with water. And i founded out that it's coming from the same hole outdoorgirl wrote. So i sealed it with somthing like poxypol but from permatex multimetal thing. By the way from the drivers side is the same hole, but no traces of leaks there. I suppose that leaks happens because main drains is blocked by some dirt and some water gets to this holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
(1) Acura Dealership here in Grand Rapids MI; & (2) Water leak problems

My 2001 MDX suddenly sprung an interior water leak. After a heavy rain, 2 inches of water on the passenger floor board, drivers side very soggy.

I bought the vehicle 1 year ago at Tonkin Acura of Portland. It was a certified vehicle, which I was told was a warranty "pretty much the same as new" for 1 year or 12,000. When I took it in, they informed me that the warranty does not cover water damage, only mechanical.

The dealer could replicate the leak, but could not find it. They sent it over to a body shop. After one week of looking the body shop finally found it. They pulled both fenders, then the dash, heater core and condenser. They said there was a "very large" gap in the sheet metal in the firewall. The sealer material had hardened and cracked out, leaving a large gap. He took pictures for me. If anybody is looking for advise doing business with Fox Acura of Grand Rapids MI - I hope you be extra careful if you can't get your service problems resolved without going to Fox Acura of Grand Rapids MI.

The repair cost $1,100, plus the dealer is likely going to ding me another $300-$400 and I have lost my car for 9 days, assuming I get it today. The dealer is not stepping up to the plate, nor is Acura's extended warranty company, nor Acura Care.

Clearly, this is a manufacturing defect, yet Acura is not willing to step up to the plate, even when they got my warranty $$. This is my third Acura, (fifth Honda) and will now be my last. Acura needs to take responsibility for this problem.
HI, My experience with Acura dealership here in Grand Rapids MI (Fox Acura, Oh Boy they really are 'foxy' when it comes to doing business) very much echos your impressions. I used them for first 5 years on my new 2002 Acura MDX. I learnt from other MDX owners in the area who infact filed complaints against Fox Acura - none of the customer was positive/happy even with the handling of complaint cases with the company Acura.

Right now I'm having issues with the water leaks in the front passenger as well as driver side. The mats gets soggy at times and there is some mold developed on the driver side. Thanks to several of the posts since these give me some hope for getting the problem addressed W/O going to Acura Dealership here in Grand Rapids MI. I just don't feel that they deliver value to the customer. Fox Acura is bunch of crooks - that's how I believe they got so big here in Grand Rapids MI. Based on my personal experience and also at least three others all MDX owners in Grand Rapids area I would sincerely caution anybody going for any repair/routine maintenance issues if you can't do without going to Fox Acura.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just realized the water leak on my 06 acura mdx. Can you guys recommend me a bodyshop/mechanic in nyc has plenty of experience with mdx that doesn't cost my arms and legs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The leak can be present even if you don't feel dampness. The carpet is fully rubber backed and the firewall insulator is also rubber lined foam. Also, there is a large (4" or so) valley under the carpet where the ebrake cables go through that will pool up. Take a long time to absorb and wick through all that until you can feel it. If mold is present under the floor mats then the leak has been leaking for a really long time.

On my repair I sealed the area behind the fender and then I made a channel with the sealer from where the water was entering to under the ebrake low point and drilled a hole out the floorboard. This was all in paranoia just in case

·
Registered
78 Posts
i am getting ready to tackle this today.

Do I have to remove the whole front bumper, or just the fender.

has anyone done a step by step write up on this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also looking for a step by step. Already have the 3M seam sealer and want to get the leak on my 2006 MDX fixed this weekend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
that seam sealer is crazy expensive. I got some black silcone adhesive instead.

I was able to get the fender off without taking the bumper off. I would give a step by step, but honestly, it is super easy. If you cant figure it out, then you should probably put the wrenches down

141 - 160 of 171 Posts