Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water Leak in 2002 Acura MDX

I just discovered the exact same problem many of you have described with your Acura MDX's. My MDX is a 2002 model I purchased as a Certified vehicle from John Eagle in Houston, Texas in 2003. The vehicle had 23,000 miles on it when purchased, now has 47K...it's primarily my 'weekend' vehicle, as I have a 1992 Honda Civic I drive to work as a 'commuter car.' The Acura is so 'babied,' it's almost pathetic! Anyway, the Honda was out of commission last week, so I had to drive the Acura to work; during this time, we have been hit with torrential rains and thunderstorms in the Houston area. This weekend I got inside the MDX (in the garage) to get something; I then smelled a musky odor, like it was wet. Sure enough, the passenger side floormat was soaked, as was the carpet beneath it. I dried it out as best I could and I think it's going to be ok, IF it doesn't get wet again.

I spoke with the dealership I purchased the MDX from, they told me I would have to bring it in for diagnosis...estimated cost, $700.00. The service advisor didn't think my extended warranty would cover the cost, but Acura MAY pay for it. He gave me the number to Acura Customer Care (or something similar to that) at 1-800-382-2238. I spoke with a representative named "Walter" who told me I would have to take the vehicle in to an authorized dealer and have it diagnosed before Acura could even consider doing anything...which as frustrating as that is, I understand. I have an appointment to take the vehicle in on Thursday at 9am, 6/28/07, to John Eagle Acura.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Acura takes care of this problem, I'm sort of 'car-repair-poor' right now, with the Honda in the shop and just paying over $600.00 to get my son's 2000 Pontiac Firebird out of the dealer shop last Friday. When it rains, it pours!

Thank GOD I found this website.

Best Regards,
Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
51 Posts
We had a similar leak problem on our Audi A6 on the passenger side. During thunderstorms it would be like Niagara Falls in the front passenger seat.

Took it to some Auto Glass and other Repair shops for diagnosis. They tried to replicate the storms but no leaking occurred (of course not, why should it when you take it to someone for inspection!).

After trading the car in. the dealer told us the car had been in an accident prior to us originally purchasing it which might have explained why it was leaking on the same side that the accident occurred.

food for thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '03 MDX has been at the local Acura dealership for a week now due to LEAKS and they have called once to tell me they ordered a "special" wire that needs to be replaced in antenna. I'm sooooo not a happy camper. The LEAK only occured when I moved from Scottsdale, AZ (where we get little to no rain) to VA where it rains normally. I had water accumulation in front passenger seat after first rain here in VA. Thought someone left a window down. Then it happened twice more and I was fuming. This IS NOT AN INEXPENSIVE car, folks! And this problem is definitely a production problem. I don't know yet what they do or do not plan to charge me but if anyone here has heard about an "official" complaint to recover charges....please let me know! Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
re: food for thought on prior damage from accident....
My MDX touring package car was purchased brand new in '03...there should NOT have been any previous drivers, much less "accidents"
to create this apparently widespread water leaking problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me too thanks to this thread. It happens to my Acura CL "98, too bad I have to buy an Acura CL water pump, I thought it was the problem. Then I check and see if there's a drain plug. It fallen out or something. I finally figured it out when my father and I got to crawling around under the car. Good Luck...

Also got this site http://www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_work.htm they have complete details in car repair, Its very useful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How I fixed my water leak

I bought a used 2001 MDX last year with 90,000 miles on it. The car was great and I had no problems through the first winter. In October 2007 I noticed water on the drivers side and lifted the carpet and found 2 inches of water. I contacted the dealership, they said they would not cover it, and I contacted Acura directly. They offered no help. I found this message board right away and did a lot of research. I took my bumper off and front fender and went to work re sealing the seams on the firewall, thinking that was the problem. While I was working on it I noticed that the rubber grommit where the hood release cord goes through the firewall was brittle and torn on the underside. Water had been trickling down the cord and showing up right under the release lever on the inside of the car. I sealed that up as well with an automotive silicone. I have been driving it for about a month now and the water problem is solved. The whole thing cost me about 12 hours of my time and $25.00 in material. If you have patience and a little bit of skill you could take care of it yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know any dealerships familiar with this problem in the Northern VA, MD, DC area. My 2004 MDX has the same leak that has been described in the above and I dont want to get the run around from the dealership. Any help would be so appreciated. My car is still under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought it certified used.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Multiple Leaks?

I have an 01' MDX and notice the front passenger side carpet to be damp at times over the past year. I noticed it was wet and stored a decent amount of water after driving in heavy rain last month.

After reading this post I got some ideas to the source. I thought I pinpointed it but am unsure. A seal in the firewall / fender area seemed the likely culprit since driving in the heavy rains last month.

However, today it poured all day and it was not driven until it had stopped. I checked the passenger side and it was damp to the touch. How is this possible? Side mirror seal? Now I'm questioning the windshield.

It was the only noticeable aftermarket glass on the car. It actually pinches off the rear mirror dimmer cable that runs along the headliner and A pillar, causing it not to work. Is that enough to cause a problem with water?

I checked with an Acura dealership nearby and they want to do the water test, keep it all day, charge $112 to guess, I mean diagnose the problem.

Should I just self check and repair the firewall seals, re-sealing with automotive silicone? Checking side mirror seal? I don't have the time or experience in taking apart stuff.

Cost of repairs is a concern. Although I intend to keep her for awhile, I don't want to dump too much money in her. Normal maintenance costs are covered.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
It could be the glass. It could be the same issue with the seams. I dont think you want to pay $900-1200 for the fix if thats the case. :eek: Do a water test yourself with a hose that has a spray nozzle. Why would driving vs sitting in the rain make a difference? The car still gets wet. :confused: A DIY fix is probably very involved. A post above said it took him 12 hours.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sunroof?

I 'm going to check the sunroof and windshield for any gaps, rot in the gasket, drain plug in sunroof. Where to look exactly for drain? There could be debris in there.

I hope it's an easy fix. As far as the windshield, I'm going have one of those mobile glass co.s inspect it, given the installation of the current one is shabby IMO. (Pinched rearview mirror dimmer cable...)

As far as simply re-sealing the seams around the A pillar, firewall, wheel well, I need to find a bodyshop that will do it.

My body shop I use doesn't fix water leaks because of liability issues with ECU, I guess. I should just probably pay somebody for that specific sealing work. Whether it works or not. No water testing needed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hi havent any one of you guys had leaks from the roof on the rear top brake light? The past few days its been raining and the next day i drove the car and saw water leaking into the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi All,

I have been seeing water on both front floors ever since the windshield was replaced. They did an awful job...

- They didn't trim enough of the sealant off, so the new glass was too far away from veh. frame; wiper arm springs would contact glass!

- They bent the metal clip in the rear view mirror mount, so it kept falling off.

- They allowed leaves to get under the cowl, which was removed during the job. These ended up in the ventilation fan and threw it out of balance. I had to remove it twice to get the stuff out so it would stop vibrating the dashboard due to being out of balance.

This last item, I am afraid, may also have something to do with the water. I will be removing the cowl and looking for drains plugged by leaves. I had them re-do the windshield job, but still see water accumulating, since I didn't consider plugged drains until I still had water coming in after the second windshield was installed. I'll mention that the water comes in without driving the car; just sitting in a good rainstorm does the trick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mystery leak - water in vehicle

My 04 mdx is at the dealer (Davis Acura, Langhorne, PA) with the mystery leak under the driver's foot rest problem as well. The dealer called today to say there was an inch of water under there and on passenger's side as well. They're drying it out first and then sending it off to the body shop for an estimate. I was told today that this repair is not covered under the extended warranty on my "certified pre-owned" ha, car and the bill will be mine.

Obviously this is not an uncommon problem. Any suggestions on how to proceed, should I ask for a district manager? Obviously I'll wait until they call back with $$ on Friday (I do have a loaner) but with this much water carpet replacement may be in order in addition to the cost of the repair. Thanks in advance all who can help with ideas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
water in front foot wells

Hi, I've had the same problem and have been living with mopping up the water for 2 years. The windshield was replaced twice but didn't solve the problem. They did a 'seal test' the second time and said it was fine. I removed the sunroof deflector as had been suggested earlier but that unfortunately didn't help.

Has anyone actually fixed the problem through a body shop? I'm not about to attempt this myself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Leaks fixed now looking for compensation

flashman88 said:
After a month long process of locating and fixing numerous leaks coming in from from underneath the fender I am looking to Acura for compensation. ...
I asked the Acura dealer in my town (London, ON Canada) if they know how to fix my problem and they told me, they never had a problem with water accumulating on the driver or passenger floor..
Well, look at that.. so I'm the only one with this leak.. Interesting..

After months of fruitless searching for the leak source, including stripped instrument panel, I fixed it in a rather unorthodox way - by permanently removing the rubber plug located in the floor panel and the drillig a1/4" hole thru the floor next to the emergency brake cable bracket (this is the lowest point of the floor). Now the water just drips away, and I have no visible sign of wetness.
The drilled hole was painted with anti-rust paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone...it's been a few years since I've been on this board...didn't even know it changed domains!

I have a 2002 MDX with wet carpet! Don't like what I have read so far.....has anyone made any more head way with this problem?

I notice my carpet wet on both sides passenger and driver side a few weeks. Not sure why both sides would be wet at the same time if it was related to the firewall seal problem......

·
Registered
2 Posts
mdx mystery leak

Hi, my dealer (Acrua, Langhorne, PA) sent the leak out to a body shop for repair and replaced the carpets at no charge. My carpet was also wet on both sides after it rained ('04 MDX). Not sure what they did but it's been (knock on wood) fine since then.

http://www.davisacura.com/

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 02 MDX is wet too

To save some hours of paid mechanic time, I decided to remove the center console. I needed to expose the area near the rear evaporator so my mechanic can replace the rear suction and receiver pipe (part # 80323-S3V-A02). Seems like this pipe is failing on many 02 X's... Anyway, I had to remove the rubber mat and the carpet mat from both sides and that is when I felt dampness. To get the console out required pulling out the front seats. Having gone this far, I decided to pull back the carpet. OMG, what a mess. No mold, but very wet. There is a well on the driver's side for the e-brake. The cover to the well has rusted through. I left the carpeting pulled back to the back seat area and installed the seats so I could use the car while things are drying and I figure out what to do next. I confirmed that my moon roof drains work properly. For the next test I removed the cowl top assembly (plastic thing under the front wipers) and then set up a garden hose to send water off to the driver's side (I did not want to involve the seals around the windshield yet.) Well, it did not take too long for water to show up on the floor. Moved the hose to the other side and water soon was dripping from behind the glove box and on to the floor. Tomorrow I will get the brushable seam sealer and a bunch of plastic rivet things to replace the ones I brake. With spare parts in hand, I will remove both fenders and seal the seams. I hope the bumper does not have to come off too. btw, the a/c gets fixed next week. I know we all are morbid and like to see the pics... I'll take some and post them for you. SuperTech and the rest of you posters, thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have 09 MDX Sport/Ent , i got the leaking problem on the headliner of the front passage side . i went to the dealer twices and dealed with the [email protected] service adviser . at the end of the case , i finally called the Acura customer care service and the service manager followed up everything and i complained the service adviser . after that , they changed my whole headliner caused the leaking water made it has water marks , and they change the whole pipe from the sunroof to the end of the fender.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sambuca:

Just found the leaks on both sides...loaded with water in both and the foam under rubber was soaked. Ripped out all soaked foam and rubber boot. Did your seam seal work on both sides? did you ever get the pictures so I can try the same thing? Thanks!

121 - 140 of 171 Posts