Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my very first MDX ever. 2019 MDX. I guess I just wanted to say hello and there has been plenty of info here. I was lurking in the shadows and decided to finally create an account.

2019 MDX with 18K on the clock. For those that have the base model...which for my needs is plenty...I couldn't get myself to pay an additional 4-6K extra for the higher trims...wasn't worth it to me. But for those seasoned MDX owners what accessories, upgrades, etc have you done that you can say is a must.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Welcome to forum!

I have a 19 MDX as well with +21,000 miles with zero issues (other than buzzing sound from the front window I fixed with silicone grease). I did front window tint and all weather matts in all my vehicles. Helps keep the car cool in summer and way easier to clean with the all season mats (shake, wipe, and go). Having a rear tri-fold cargo mat has saved me a few times over the years. I also did paint protective film (PPF) on my front end; but, my MDX is our main travel vehicle with hwy speeds of 75-85 mph in the southwest. Don't really need PPF if you are a city mouse.

Reactions: Flipman416

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
Welcome sir! This forum has a wealth of knowledge! I added the trailer hitch and wiring along with the OEM transmission cooler. Did all the work myself. I needed all of it as I tow campers and cars on dollies.

I also put ceramic tint all around including the windshield. Drastic improvement here in Arizona.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome. I have a base as well except 2017 and so far so good. I changed the foot well yellow bulbs to cool LEDs. Also changed brake lights to LED but I'm getting radio static when foot on brakes. Still don't know how to fix it other than putting the regular bulb back. I added running boards. Future plans: black rims, painted calipers.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
All season floor mats plus cargo area mat
The Acura branded mays are pretty good and have decent lips for water retention and are usually a bit cheaper than the name brand ones. Cargo cover is nice to hide junk in the back. There is an outfit that makes center arm rest covers that work really great.

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
The Acura branded mays are pretty good and have decent lips for water retention and are usually a bit cheaper than the name brand ones. Cargo cover is nice to hide junk in the back. There is an outfit that makes center arm rest covers that work really great.
Can you let me know the center armrest cover place? I’ve been looking for a decent one but haven’t found any yet.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
Can you let me know the center armrest cover place? I’ve been looking for a decent one but haven’t found any yet.
Autoconsolcovers.com
Originally bought a beige to match my interior, wound up with a black 1. They wash nicely and fit like a glove.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the family.

I have added All weather floor mats, tri-fold cargo tray, spare tire hoist with full size spare (10 min DIY), color matched mudguard (30 minutes DIY), front windows tint and paint protection film.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A little over a year ago I bought a 2017 CPO Base SH-AWD that looked just like yours!
I added a Curt trailer hitch and wiring harness, added a pulser for my high mounted rear stoplight, swapped the rear taillights and turn signals with LED bulbs, swapped the door puddle lights with logo projectors, custom foglights, did a chrome delete with plastidip, and upgraded all of the stereo speakers except the sub.
Absolutely love my MDX and it has been rock solid in the 30k miles I've put on it. Quiet, comfortable, and great fuel economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats and welcome to the family.

I have added All weather floor mats, tri-fold cargo tray, spare tire hoist with full size spare (10 min DIY), color matched mudguard (30 minutes DIY), front windows tint and paint protection film.
I never thought about adding that spare tire hoist...I gotta look that up. Thanks for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
I never thought about adding that spare tire hoist...I gotta look that up. Thanks for that.
If your is SH-AWD, hoist is included. Only FWD and Hybrid need to install it for spare tire.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
This is my very first MDX ever. 2019 MDX. I guess I just wanted to say hello and there has been plenty of info here. I was lurking in the shadows and decided to finally create an account.

2019 MDX with 18K on the clock. For those that have the base model...which for my needs is plenty...I couldn't get myself to pay an additional 4-6K extra for the higher trims...wasn't worth it to me. But for those seasoned MDX owners what accessories, upgrades, etc have you done that you can say is a must.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! I would suggest going with a full-size spare if yours didn't come with one at all. Depending on your region, a set of steelies w/ Winter tires for the snow. Since you do have a base, I suggest adding a remote start (highly suggest factory) for those cold mornings.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Welcome to this forum. I have one of the first 3rd gen MDXs, built June 2013, (shawd Tech) I purchased new. I don't think there are any general 'must haves' since the most base MDX is still well equipped. I did, however, add a roof rack (self install) and front and rear dashcams (after some close incidents on cross country drives). I was planning to install a factory hitch once I really had a need for it but I haven't had the need so far.

• My windows are tinted just fine - I don't need to add anything other than the factory tint but I don't know if the tech is tinted differently than the base.
  • I also don't need any floor mats other than the ones that came with it but I live where it doesn't snow and doesn't really rain much either.
  • I think cargo covers are generally more trouble than they're worth. On a couple of the cross country trips where I had stuff back there I just draped a darkish colored blanket over it and that combined with the fairly deeply tinted rear windows make the stuff quite hidden.
  • I dislike side steps so I never installed those and if it would have had them I'd have taken them off and tossed them. They're worth less than nothing to me.
  • With the LED headlights I think fog lights on the MDX are mostly redundant and from what I've read on this forum really don't add much practical value. Most people who get them do so for decoration. I don't have them.
  • The normal lighting bulbs are fine for me - I never felt a need to change them to LED.
  • I would never use a heated steering wheel where I live so I haven't added one of those.
  • The PPF is a thought since I've taken some hood pits on the cross country drives but I never got around to it and there's no point in doing it now. I also keep my MDX waxed and park it well away from others if at all possible (I don't mind walking) so there really aren't many dings and such - it still looks very good.

My MDX now has about 73K miles and has been super reliable and enjoyable to drive and I'm glad I purchased it. It still feels fairly new to me.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new vehicle! I think you'll be very satisfied with your purchase.

For me I got a fully loaded 2019 advance mdx with entertainment. I like the led fog lights, from my experience they really do make a huge difference in lighting up the road and ditches on dark country roads so definitely not just for decoration.

I live in MN so cold and sloppy in winter with snow/salt. I enjoy the heated steering wheel and I bought weathertech all season floor mats and in my opinion they are necessary if you live in a place that has to deal with snow and salt. Salt will destroy carpet in the long run and when it crystallizes after winter it's very hard to clean off.

I always tint my windows so tinted front 2 windows and a strip at top of windshield. Also had clear film installed on front hood/bumper/fenders, a pillar, rear view mirrors, top strip of roof between moonroof and windshield, door handle cups, door edges and top of rear bumper. While it's expensive, Acura paint isn't super durable and not very thick so it chips easily.

While I didn't need to I also upgraded rear brake and turn signals to led which makes a big difference. I did it for extra safety and make my vehicle more visible at night. Other led replacements that I feel were worthwhile and easy to do are the rear hatch lights and the puddle lights under each door. Super simple to swap to led and adds noticeable light.

I also replaced the reverse lights to led and it's super cheap and easy to do.

I also got cargo net, 2nd row seat covers and tri fold cargo liner.

Lastly had oem trailer hitch installed.

Some improvements are more costly than others considering you have base where things like fog lights and heated steering wheel might be somewhat costly to install (mine came with them so not sure), where many of the led replacements aren't expensive and are easy to do yourself (brake and turn signals were the most complicated but still easy for a novice to do)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
^^ You and I are almost the exact opposite when it comes to the mods. You live in a harsh climate and I live in the most temperate climate in the country so that's a factor.

But I still think fog lights are unneeded for the MDX so it's best for one to wait on that to see how the MDX headlights behave and then decide if they think fogs are necessary, unless one wants them for the decorative effect. The factory fog lights are also expensive.

I just don't see why anyone thinks the windows aren't already tinted enough unless it's a difference between my trim (tech) and the base but your Advance is bound to have reasonably tinted windows as factory. To each their own.

On LED replacements - just don't do what some vehicle I followed for awhile on a road trip the other day did - they must have replaced the taillights with extra bright LEDs and they were driving with the lights on in the day but the taillights were so bright it looked like they had their brakes on, but I know the brakes weren't on because the third brake light was only on when they braked. Brighter isn't always better. But I assume most people who replace the lights with LED don't overdo it like that. I still think the factory lights are fine though so this is another area one should just see what they think and try out the factory ones before deciding.

·
Registered
704 Posts
^^ You and I are almost the exact opposite when it comes to the mods. You live in a harsh climate and I live in the most temperate climate in the country so that's a factor.

But I still think fog lights are unneeded for the MDX so it's best for one to wait on that to see how the MDX headlights behave and then decide if they think fogs are necessary, unless one wants them for the decorative effect. The factory fog lights are also expensive.

I just don't see why anyone thinks the windows aren't already tinted enough unless it's a difference between my trim (tech) and the base but your Advance is bound to have reasonably tinted windows as factory. To each their own.

On LED replacements - just don't do what some vehicle I followed for awhile on a road trip the other day did - they must have replaced the taillights with extra bright LEDs and they were driving with the lights on in the day but the taillights were so bright it looked like they had their brakes on, but I know the brakes weren't on because the third brake light was only on when they braked. Brighter isn't always better. But I assume most people who replace the lights with LED don't overdo it like that. I still think the factory lights are fine though so this is another area one should just see what they think and try out the factory ones before deciding.
Well front 2 windows aren't tinted at all from factory, only the back. So it's a choice of no tint up front from factory or aftermarket tint. I didn't add tint to windows that were already tinted.

As for the tail lights, while the leds are brighter then stock, they definitely are not as bright as most cars now are from the factory. My 2010 Infiniti fx35 has brighter brake lights, as does nearly every new car on the road today. So it's an improvement but not over the top compared to most other new vehicles on the road today. I had stock lights for several months when I noticed how much brighter my FX35 brake lights were. With a newborn son in tow, and a few late night road trips to visit family, I added led for extra safety to try and maximize visibility and reduce chances of getting rear ended.

Just because you don't like certain mods doesn't mean others are wrong for doing them. To each their own

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to know who the company is that offers the center arm rest cover as well. It would be nice to have for my car. Thanks for your help with this!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts