Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always searching for ways to improve my mobile audio - and without much effort and cost. Inspired by the posts about the Pioneer speakers I decided to give them a try. Installation was relatively simple - just as outlined in previous posts. The cutting and application of the Dynamat actually took the longest.

The Pioneer speakers TS-A1665 - produce incredibly bright highs and mids. I was really enjoying the speakers when some hard bass hit and distortion become all too apparent. Upon further investigation I tried fading all the music to the front (this also cuts the sub) to find that the bass did not exist and what little bass they produced was very distorted. I like listening to my music loud - and those tunes which have heavy bass I had to turn down. I read on carreview.com similar complaints about the ease of distortion and overrated power capacity of similar Pioneer speakers.

I went to Circuit City and listened to serveral speakers - the clearest and loudest playing speakers were the Infinity 652i ref series (sale $99 - 89 at millionbuy.com). I purchased the speakers and just installed them. WOW! I am very pleased with these speakers- they have better bass response than stock - and do not sound wimply when all the sound is faded to the front as with the Pioneers. I've found that I like the sound of two way speakers better and even though the Pioneers are much "brighter" I feel that the Infiniti's play with much greater clarity and realism ( this is just me personal preference). The tweeter swivels so you can point it towards the listeners for improved imaging. The Infinity speakers can handle greater RMS power for later amp add ons - and finally, they are more sensitive than the Pioneers ( 92 dB versus 91 dB).

I've returned the Pioneers and am now looking into subwoofer upgrades.

Sorry for such a long post,
Rick

·
Registered
167 Posts
sounds nice rick.... all i was concerned about was upgrading the crap that the car came with... my sub cranks out more than enough bass... let us know what sub u choose.. i recommend the JL series... my 10 inch model kicks a$$ and its the cheaper line so if ur willing to spend a little you can get something really nice...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Question for jlive

DId you install your JL in the stock location? If so, was it easy. I plan on doing it this weekend based on your recommendation. Also, where did you mount your amp?

Thanks a million.

Arun

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have a box enclosure mushman.... i wanted to use the stock enclosure but I was advised against it by 3 separate install shops... that space just isnt devised for a kick a$$ sub... i have a post with pics of the setup somewhere in this board just search for posts made by me...

some people have put it in the stock location with good results, but somehow i think they're robbing themsleves of the true power that a box provides.. no purpose in putting a 300 sub in a space that was designed for a $50 sub....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Infinti Install Question

rkrans,
Did the Infiniti speakers install easily or did you have to do any modifications to the speaker location?

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
infinity speakers

MarkC

The Infinity's were very easy to install. Since I first installed the Pioneers and covered up the original holes w/ dynamat I couldn't tell where the original holes were relative to the speakers. I screwed in the original top hole - and then drilled a small pilot hole at the bottom position - finally I used the original screw which I believe is self tapping and secured the speaker. I bought a Honda/Acura speaker adapter from Best Buy (6.95) and just twirled the wiring around the little hole at the bottom of the speaker basket in the door.

Good Luck

·
Registered
241 Posts
Dumb question

rkrans: Please excuse my complete ignorance here, but did you purchase exactly one Honda/Acura speaker adapter, or one for each speaker you installed? (I'm guessing the latter...)

--Marne

·
Registered
167 Posts
usually the adapter comes in pairs so when u buy from circuit city or best buy you'll get two for 6.95.... and you need one for each speaker you install....

·
Registered
69 Posts
jliveMDX,
Hey I put a JL IB4 in the factory location and it pumps out some great bass (the IB4 was designed for open air applications) I'm driving it with the JL 250/1. I wanted a stealth install so we had to make that spot work. We tried a lot of subs but that one works perfectly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts