Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. My MDX is just about 2 years old to the day. I have never had a flat nor even looked at the spare tire. Today I was driving down the road and heard a squeky sound and some thumps. Looked in my rear view mirror and saw a moderate sized black object bouncing behind me. Thought I ran over a turkey (we have lots of them nearby).

I then noticed it was my spare. I swung around and went back to pick up the pieces. My spare, some rubber thing and the cable top that was frayed off.

I have seen this thread
TSB for spare tire

Will call dealer today.

Chris

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dealer said they could not find a tsb on the spare tire so they have ordered me a new cable and will call when it arrives to be installed.

The rest of you keep watching your review mirror and hope that any thumps you hear is just the spare and not some unsuspecting turkey:D

Chris

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Jeez, hard to believe that cable could just snap. Good thing no one was behind you or on the highway when it happened. You'd need laborlitagator's help in that case.:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: spare tire how frequently do you check air pressure & how easy is it to get @ -Do you have to lower it??? -I believe Manual suggests spare be checked @ same frequency as all other tires --

·
Registered
128 Posts
MGTD said:
OK. My MDX is just about 2 years old to the day. I have never had a flat nor even looked at the spare tire. Today I was driving down the road and heard a squeky sound and some thumps. Looked in my rear view mirror and saw a moderate sized black object bouncing behind me. Thought I ran over a turkey (we have lots of them nearby).

I then noticed it was my spare. I swung around and went back to pick up the pieces. My spare, some rubber thing and the cable top that was frayed off.

I have seen this thread
TSB for spare tire

Will call dealer today.

Chris
amazing story!
i had to admit though
that i laughed hard at the turkey part. :D

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
AEP said:
Re: spare tire how frequently do you check air pressure & how easy is it to get @ -Do you have to lower it??? -I believe Manual suggests spare be checked @ same frequency as all other tires --
Yes you have to lower it to check the air. I check it amount once a month, it also keeps the cable greased. Hate to have a blow-out and then find out there is hardly any air in the spare.

When I take a long trip, I carry a portable air compressor with me just in case as well as some basic tools and flash light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts