Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thanks to the great demand for the MDX, we have given up on getting one. :( With a six-month wait for a Touring/Navi with NO DEALER ADD-ONS, we have given up. I am ticked off at:

The Dealers- For finding out that there are ********(EDITED by Acura4Life) (for lack of a better or nicer way to say it that won't get this post immediately locked) out there who will pay exhorbant prices for DIO's just to get the MDX.

Acura- For doing nothing about this problem, which seems to me to be price fixing between dealers (hey let's all get together and load-em up with DIO's, a bunch of ******** (EDITED by Acura4Life) are just waiting to buy them).

AND

Most of all the people that were willing to put up with this crap and buy it anyway driving up the price. It started with the first person to order one and it just continues. TILL YOU STOP PUTTING UP WITH THIS CRAP, THE DEALERS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!! :mad: Honda did it and is continuing to do it with the S2000, Chrysler did it with the PT Cruiser (go figure), and I am afraid Subaru is going to do it with the new WRX (see imprezawrx.com for more on this sweet machine). On our big Impreza BB, we made a "pact" not to let the dealers do it to us. As such there are dealers selling them for $400 over invoice, no dio's, no six-month wait. CONSUMERS, YOU HAVE THE POWER, NOW EXERCISE IT. :D

I know, it is a supply/demand economy, but come on folks, let's help each other out. So this is most probably my last post unless we can get what we want in 3-4 weeks. Goodbye....

SubeDriver

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hey Sube,

Sorry you feel this way. It really is possible to buy at MSRP, but you need to work at it and be prepared to (possibly) travel.

This type of purchase/negotiation is not for everyone. It certainly doesn't make you feel good.

Ard

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with Aardvarkus. I am sorry that you had a bad experience but this delear bashing stuff is just getting old. I have dealt with two dealers and had no issues whatsoever. I have never paid MSRP for a car before but I was told up front that that was the price. Ok.. I test drove it, it was worth it, so I ordered one. If you're willing to get screwed by a delaer with options, etc you are either uninformed (ie: "stupid") or have enough money to not care. Guess what? That's America..whether we like it or not. It's simple economics and the dynamics of supply and demand.

I hope whatever you buy it will be a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sube....sorry you had the bad experience.

If you had been willing to travel you could have easily bought one at MSRP....yep, that's what they go for if you want one...called supply and demand. I too don't don't like it but paid MSRP...never had I paid MSRP before, but I did this time...however, the price was eased somewhat by the dealer installing some extras for free.
I could have bought a GMC Denali for $500 over invoice...but what a gas hog and a tank. Also, the fit on the GMC was bad...too many open areas around hood and fenders.

I posted where you could buy a Mahogoney Touring for MSRP, and this MDX was available for 6 days after I posted the information. There are good dealers out there you just have to find them.

Good luck.

01 D E Pearl Touring
2000 DTS

·
Registered
161 Posts
JJTheSubeDriver said:
Well, thanks to the great demand for the MDX, we have given up on getting one. :( With a six-month wait for a Touring/Navi with NO DEALER ADD-ONS, we have given up. I am ticked off at:

The Dealers- For finding out that there are ******** (for lack of a better or nicer way to say it that won't get this post immediately locked) out there who will pay exhorbant prices for DIO's just to get the MDX.

Acura- For doing nothing about this problem, which seems to me to be price fixing between dealers (hey let's all get together and load-em up with DIO's, a bunch of ******** are just waiting to buy them).

AND

Most of all the people that were willing to put up with this crap and buy it anyway driving up the price. It started with the first person to order one and it just continues. TILL YOU STOP PUTTING UP WITH THIS CRAP, THE DEALERS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU!! :mad: Honda did it and is continuing to do it with the S2000, Chrysler did it with the PT Cruiser (go figure), and I am afraid Subaru is going to do it with the new WRX (see imprezawrx.com for more on this sweet machine). On our big Impreza BB, we made a "pact" not to let the dealers do it to us. As such there are dealers selling them for $400 over invoice, no dio's, no six-month wait. CONSUMERS, YOU HAVE THE POWER, NOW EXERCISE IT. :D

I know, it is a supply/demand economy, but come on folks, let's help each other out. So this is most probably my last post unless we can get what we want in 3-4 weeks. Goodbye....

SubeDriver
High demand cars always create this situation. The Mazda Miata, Regal GNX, any BMW M, any MB AMG, and now you can add the Lexus SC430 have always gone for MSRP+ with long waiting lists. When Acura announced the MDX was only going to be $35K loaded with content and that they could only produce 35-40K per year I put a deposit down sight unseen knowing it was going to be tough to get one. I already have a deposit down on an MB C32 AMG for delivery in '02. I don't know the MSRP, colors, or options. But you know what, If I waited to get answers to all of those questions I wouldn't get the car. You have to plan ahead for high demand cars or you get shut out. You haven't been victimized by a conspiracy - you just can't get what you want when you want it. Some of the posters on this board have cleverly found MDX’s in other States at MSRP in less than a month. If you’re persistent and flexible maybe you can still score.

As for charging over MSRP... If you were selling your house and someone was willing to pay over market value and over the appraised value would you ask him or her to lower his or her offer? If a nice couple with kids offered less than a snide ********(EDITED by Acura4Life) you didn’t like would you take less money and sell the house to the "nicer" people? Probably not. We live in a capitalistic society and this is how the game is played. Every day there are new winners and losers.

·
Registered
497 Posts
BarryH,

Well said!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I agree with you 100% but here's how I see it.....

JJTheSubeDriver said:

The Dealers- For finding out that there are ******** (for lack of a better or nicer way to say it that won't get this post immediately locked) out there who will pay exhorbant prices for DIO's just to get the MDX.

Acura- For doing nothing about this problem, which seems to me to be price fixing between dealers (hey let's all get together and load-em up with DIO's, a bunch of ******** are just waiting to buy them).

AND

SubeDriver
Although I wouldn't call these people who pay over MSRP and wait forever ******** (EDITED by Acura4Life)I would say they are plain old STUPID with a capital S. Most dealers, of course, are making the best of a good opportunity, (This is highly unethical, but trust me they will pay dearly for this - it's not going to last forever) - There are however a few dealers who are really good. After visiting nine (9) area dealers here in the Southern California area and receiving the same typically poor service, ACURA OF VALENCIA was a pleasant surprise. They told me there is still a wait, but were willing to sell me one for MSRP (Touring and Navi)- no add ons - and the wait is only 4 to 6 weeks. And the service it was so un-Acura-like, more Lexus-like. Not only was the salesman extremely courteous and pleasant, but he took the time to answer all my questions :)
However, the real culprit in all of this is Honda/Acura. Now, THEY are the really STUPID people. They are STUPIDER than those people who pay over MSRP, and they make those very same dealers look like the most intelligent people out there. One wonders what kind of people Honda/Acura has working for them !!. What kind of RETARD does it take to figure that MORE VOLUME = MORE PROFIT ???? It boggles my mind to think that this manufacturer has done it with the Odyssey, they did it with the S2000 and now they're at it again with the MDX. Who's gonna teach these morons the proper way to sell and make money???????

BTW, I'm getting mine in October or November of this year when the 2002 model comes out, the bugs are all worked out and also when I can get a decent deal on it :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello Sube,

Hope you dont live in the bay area!!! I am paying upto $500 for gas/electricity per month,
real estate prices are soaring (thanks to the '********'(EDITED by Acura4Life), in your term, who over bid my hundreds of
thousands), public schools suck (private schools are taking full advantage), and sure enough, 2000
more for a decent car - who cares?!!! Plus, Gray Davis is paying billions of $$$ to buy power on the
spot market - guess where's that money comming from - not PGE or Davis' personal coffers...

But, then, people have amassed hoards of money in this area by selling $5 chips for $500!!! so, what
goes comes around - FREE MARKET capitalistism - let it run freely...........................;-)

Also about helping each other out - if we do that, then during the down cycles, we also have to give up
on those 'steals and $5000 off type discounts' and just payup MSRPs - that means fixed pricing - never
works and is fundamentally works against capitalism and free markets...

atleast this is not as bad as buying M5 or porshe or S class, where you either pay $30K in premiums
or wait for 6months to a year...

vicpai, atleast honda is conservative and makes sure it doesnt lose money by overproducing a car
in the first year (who knows how it's going to sell) ... and maybe, that's why they can make good cars
due to financial stability... remember along with megahits, honda has also had flops - like del sol, or the
original odyssee, SLX... hind sight is 20/20....

bluetooth
-part of the bay area free economy!

·
Registered
122 Posts
To vicpai:

You make up a word like "stupider," then have the audacity to refer to people who paid over MSRP for their MDX stupid? Please warn me next time you're going to come up with something like that so I can set my coffee cup down. Now I've got to go get a towel and wipe off my computer screen!

For the record, I paid MSRP for my MDX and took delivery back in early November. I guess by your standards that makes me a lot less "stupider" than those who wanted an MDX so badly they were willing to pay above sticker, eh?

P.S. Just to show there are no hard feelings, here's what I'm going to do: I've got a friend who paid $2K above MSRP for his MDX, and since he's a lurker on this message board and tends to have an ugly temper when he feels personally insulted, I'll try to find a way to ensure that he doesn't read your post.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Are they really stupid or just ignorant?

vicpai, bluetooth and bilmat,
It's not exactly fair to pick on someone due to an occasional misuse of the english language on a bulletin board - especially one with no spell checker (you asked for suggestions A4L?) People who pay more for something than its worth could be stupid but more likely ignorant i.e. unknowing. For example if someone paid $2,000 over MSRP before seeking the sagely counsel of this forum - that's ignorance. If someone paid $2,000 over MSRP after scrutinizing the sagely advice put forth in this forum then that's stupidity. If someone paid $2,000 over MSRP because they are chasing too few goods with too much money, then that's northern California. Now do you guys see the difference? I made 3 internet inquiries plus visited 3 dealers in person before ordering my MDX from the dealer who charged me MSRP for the MDX and, believe or not, $250 below list for the accessories. Placed order on January 24th and was notified by my dealer last week that the factory will make it on or by April 8th. So there really are a lot of MDX buyers that are neither stupid, ignorant nor live in northern California!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just my thoughts....

First off, I don't find the practice of charging over MSRP bad in any way. You say, please don't give me that "supply and demand" crap, but guess what, that's really what it is. You grumble about cars and MSRP because you know the cost. Let's put it this way, if you knew the cost of everything you bought including electronics, clothing, etc etc, you wouldn't have much!! You'd spend your day grumbling about why studpid people pay so much for these items. Newsflash! If people pay up, then that's how much the item is worth! Just like them NFL players. Ton's of people think, about the $5-10 million/year as being absolutely ridiculous. But hey, someone's buying team sportswear, someone's buying high priced tickets, someone's paying the big bucks for seeing the superbowl, and the team's are making the money, and so, the player get paid big time money. It's all a little cycle. That aside, someone in a previous reply said, "Acura is retarded, don't hey realize More Volume=More Profit". Well, that's not true. Take an Economics class and you will realize: Volume will generate more revenue (and often more profits). But there are several cases where higher prices might increase profit than just more volume at a lower price. So in conclusion, just because you don't get what you want, when you want it, doesn't mean the world is stupid and other stupid people are buying cars at stupid prices. It just means, they're paying the "going rate" determined by consumers all over. There's someone out there for whom an MDX priced over MSRP sounds like a good deal. Just like I would pay whatever the asking price is (plus more) for a U2 concert at the gate (tickets sold out officially in 45 mins)! And I wouldn't pay $2 for the best ticket for a Ricky Martin concert! No offense to RM fans. In economics it's called a consumers Willingness To Pay (WTP) for items. Your's is lower for an MDX than many others. Phew, long post. Back to work.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
All I can say is...

I just got rid of my 1998 Subaru Outback Limited, black on charcoal, a fairly nice automobile. However, let me tell you, my black/saddle MDX Touring no Navi is a whole new world. It was worth the wait, this is truly an awesome vehicle. My advice, shop around. You can pay MSRP. Be patient. After that new MDX arrives, you will truly thank yourself for the wait, they are great vehicles.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Let me get my RED PEN..........

·
Registered
161 Posts
While I wouldn't pay over MSRP, I don't feel someone that does is "stupider", wrong, or even ignorant. There's obviously lots of posters to this board who agree because they've done it. And anyone whose had to buy a one way ticket to another state to pick-up an MSRP MDX has indirectly paid over MSRP. But somehow, each individual weighed the values of time vs. money and figured out a way to get what they wanted and I presume they are now satisfied.

As for Acura/Honda being "stupider"... A dealer can sell a car for double MSRP or half of MSRP and Acura still gets paid invoice. The more cars that dealers buy from Acura the more Acura makes. They found limited North American production capacity at the Odyssey plant and introduced the MDX in 2001 (beating the new GM triplets and the redesigned Explorer to market wasn't a bad thing either). They will have sold 40K cars this year that they wouldn't have been able to if they had waited for the new plant to be completed next year. In business, I've had to estimate initial product demand and it truly is a crap shoot. I'm sure there were factions within Acura (probably the Finance guys) that thought 40K the first year was overly optimistic in the crowded SUV marketplace. This is especially true when you look at declines in mid-size and larger SUV sales of close to 25% projected for this year.

Let's all play nice...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Honda/Acura stupidity?

Response to vicpai,

Based upon your thought about why doesn't Acura make more MDXs since volume=profit then why doesn't the superbowl seat 500,000 people? They could sell the tickets. It comes back to available resources. The superbowl doesn't seat that many because no stadium has that many resources and to build one would be impractical.

As for Honda they have a business model and limited resources. They initially produce what they think they can sell without significantly increasing costs and without affecting other profitable models, such as the Odyssey. Yea they could bet the house on the MDX and slow down other production lines to make it but what if it was not very successful? Would you want to own stock in a company like that? I wouldn't.

And to JJTheSubeDriver,

MDXs at MSRP can be had if you just look. Buying a one way airplane ticket for $300 is a lot better deal than $2000 over MSRP plus the added 'value' of having it sooner than the 4 month wait.

It has been said but it is the truth, supply and demand. Some will pay more than MSRP to get the enjoyment of a having one of the first ones and having something a little unique for now. To them it is worth the extra bucks. To many others they will just wait their turn in line and others will wait for the next year or two to get one below MSRP. None of them are stupid, they just have different priorities and buying habits. It sounds like you want Acura to do price fixing. Acura sets the MSRP but it is up to the dealer to set the actual sales price. If you are going to live the good ol' USA then get use to it! Quit crying about it because Acura or the dealer owe you nothing. That is why you can go to any Acura dealer in the country and buy one. If you don't like that then go buy a Rav-4 or something a little less expensive than the market price of the MDX.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: Honda/Acura stupidity?

MDteX said:
Response to vicpai,

Based upon your thought about why doesn't Acura make more MDXs since volume=profit then why doesn't the superbowl seat 500,000 people? They could sell the tickets. It comes back to available resources. The superbowl doesn't seat that many because no stadium has that many resources and to build one would be impractical.

As for Honda they have a business model and limited resources. They initially produce what they think they can sell without significantly increasing costs and without affecting other profitable models, such as the Odyssey. Yea they could bet the house on the MDX and slow down other production lines to make it but what if it was not very successful? Would you want to own stock in a company like that? I wouldn't.

And to JJTheSubeDriver,

MDXs at MSRP can be had if you just look. Buying a one way airplane ticket for $300 is a lot better deal than $2000 over MSRP plus the added 'value' of having it sooner than the 4 month wait.

It has been said but it is the truth, supply and demand. Some will pay more than MSRP to get the enjoyment of a having one of the first ones and having something a little unique for now. To them it is worth the extra bucks. To many others they will just wait their turn in line and others will wait for the next year or two to get one below MSRP. None of them are stupid, they just have different priorities and buying habits. It sounds like you want Acura to do price fixing. Acura sets the MSRP but it is up to the dealer to set the actual sales price. If you are going to live the good ol' USA then get use to it! Quit crying about it because Acura or the dealer owe you nothing. That is why you can go to any Acura dealer in the country and buy one. If you don't like that then go buy a Rav-4 or something a little less expensive than the market price of the MDX.
MDteX,

Touche'. If you want an example of production capacity estimates gone awry, look at the Pontiac Aztec. The factory can produce 100K and they've only sold 8K so far this year. So much for those market research studies...

·
Registered
151 Posts
MSRP

MDtex...good post.

I had no trouble buying my MDX at MSRP. First time I have ever paid MSRP in my life, but have yet to regret it.

My wife says my MDX is my new child...what a great ride.

D E Pearl Touring, with Cargo Net, Cargo Cover, Pin Stripes,
Cargo floor mat, rear mud guards...600 miles

2000 DTS

·
Registered
928 Posts
Re: Re: Honda/Acura stupidity?

"...If you want an example of production capacity estimates gone awry, look at the Pontiac Aztec. The factory can produce 100K and they've only sold 8K so far this year. So much for those market research studies..." [/B][/QUOTE]

The aztec is disgusting looking. Pontiac should be embarrassed. I own a Pontiac. Never again...and NEVER American again.

---~~Acura4Life~~---

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Honda/Acura stupidity?

[/B] The aztec is disgusting looking. Pontiac should be embarrassed. I own a Pontiac. Never again...and NEVER American again.

---~~Acura4Life~~--- [/B]
A4L,

GM must have gotten the message cuz' they're redesigning it for '02. The first time in GM history that has ever happened. It is true, the Aztec is so ugly you kinda feel sorry for it...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two cars in my shopping list:

(1) Subaru Impreza WRX
(2) Acura MDX

Impreza WRX has just been introduced to US this year for the first time (been top 10 most wanted cars that were not available in US). 227 HP turbo engine on a 3000-lb body! 0-60 in 5.7 sec.

Acura MDX, the only reason I want this car is for its decent third row seat so that I don't have to buy a mini-van. Its AWD system is way behind what Subaru has to offer. 240HP on a 4300-lb body isn't that great either.

Subaru pre-sold more than 1,000 WRXs shortly after they introduced it in Jan. 9, 2001. The car won't be available until March. Subaru initially planned 10,000 WRX this year but late increased to 12,000 by cutting the production on Forester models due to the strong demand. Yet, you can buy this car anywhere from $150 to $800 over invoice with all options at invoice price. Again, dealers don't even have demo car yet.

Now MDX is a totally different story. I don't understand why people willing to bend over ********(not edited by A4L) by Honda/Acura and still feel great about it. I don't buy this supply and demand crap. Why you never see a supply and demand problem on other Honda cars. How do you explain Odyssey and S2000 situation persist year after year. In my book it's called price fixing or robber the fool.

Foxbat

1 - 20 of 64 Posts