Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a sidewall punctur e on my new tire today after I decided to inspect the tires for any embedded nails. It is still holding air but I decided to call Discount Tire and they replaced it for free, just paid $24 for the new warranty certificate on the new tire. Can I used this tire for spire?

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Everyone will probably tell you no. But I drove on 4 tires that were stabbed with knives on the sidewalls. I had to take the tires off, sand the inside where the cuts were, clean with acetone, apply glue to both the tire and the patch, wait a few min, then apply with pressure and hold it there for a min.

Once you put the tires back on the rims and fill with air, the slits opened up like chicken lol but they held air and I drove like that for over a year.

Again, not smart but it did work. As a spare I would do it again. But not as a main tire.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The problems with sidewall damage are:

1. Sidewalls flex much more and repairs are likely to break down faster.

2. Sidewalls are not as thick as tread area, so have less of a safety factor (Think sidewall damage from curb contact).

3. Because of the above, a sidewall blowout is more likely than a tread blowout.

4. By not sealing the outside damage to the sidewall or tread area, water can intrude and rust out the steel belts.

Note to Trader 007: I have a real good deal on some parachutes for you. I fixed the damage with some duct tape. Should be fine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The problems with sidewall damage are:

1. Sidewalls flex much more and repairs are likely to break down faster.

2. Sidewalls are not as thick as tread area, so have less of a safety factor (Think sidewall damage from curb contact).

3. Because of the above, a sidewall blowout is more likely than a tread blowout.

4. By not sealing the outside damage to the sidewall or tread area, water can intrude and rust out the steel belts.

Note to Trader 007: I have a real good deal on some parachutes for you. I fixed the damage with some duct tape. Should be fine.
Lol I know. I was 16 and had zero dollars and a pissed off dad. What was I supposed to do?

If it's just a spare tire, why not. I wouldnt go 55mph, but just to limp it off the freeway or a few miles home, it should be fine.

Again not ideal, but done right and used right it does work.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That's not the sidewall, it's the shoulder of the tread. No doubt you should jump at the chance to get a new free tire, but it really doesn't look that bad. I'd trust that as a spare more than the pseudo-full-size thing that you have.

·
Super Moderator
4,596 Posts
Sidewall damage. Nope wouldn't trust it. Would rather use the donut spare.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
What is the best flexible glue to fill and bond this hole? As I said it does not puncture through the structure or metal lining and no air leak at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can buy tire repair glue that's made just for this purpose. You wouldn't want to use that on internal punctures, but it's ok on just tread damage.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You know any brands? I did a search and only found a rubber cement comes with the tires repair kit.

I'll have to ask our mechanics. We have a bunch or off-road trucks that get tread damage fairly often and they use something on them. RTV or Shoe Goo would probably work ok for what you have. Mainly just trying to fill the gap on the tread.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks! I used Hondabond HT that I have left over and it seems working pretty good.

hate to sound harsh but thats completely wrong glue for that application. silicone will do dick **** nothing on a tire.

vulcanized rubber actually melts the tire's rubber a little when you apply it. very much like pvc cement on a plastic drain pipe.

if that silicone is staying in there, its because theres no stress on that tear anyway, and you would have got by just the same with no silicone at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.