Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Car Domain Web Page

My friend made this intake for me and it is perfect for our engine. It has a chrome L-bracket built onto the back so it screws in tightly with the rubber o-ring where the resenator box use to be bolted down. In neutral I can hear the intake from the cabin but it isn't loud. When driving it sounds very nice and makes the vtec more audible, which in my opinion is a positive thing. We shouldn't have to settle for Accord hand-me-downs.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Chrome intake

Manus-

what is at the end of the L shape chrome pipe? Is there a K&N air filter? Please let me know, am interested in the conversion also.

·
Registered
570 Posts
yeh, what fireblade6 said. Could you take a pic down inside the motor area to show more of the intake. Always wanted a chrome one :eek:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ah hah!

The chrome's just reflecting a bunch of dark things, so it's camouflaged. It would be nice to get pix that show more of it!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fireblade,

I think I sent you a pm while in the process of creating the intake to ask you about the chip. Check your pm, maybe it is just in my head? The filter is a K&N copy from Japan. It has a thin wire mesh with folded paper nooks and it looks and works really good. Actually I like the way it looks over the K&N.

Sorry the pic is poor, it looked good when viewing it on the camera lcd. I'll defineatly post another pic when I get a chance.

IMO the noise level is only slightly higher when in neutral. When in drive or reverse it is quite unless you floor it. When flooring it, the intake sounds amazing, very nice. IMO, there is a very noticeable increase in acceleration too. The MDX always seemed a little slow from a complete stop, but now I'm very happy. I didn't expect the intake to make such a difference in performance. I have no dyno test or anything to back my opinions but would be glad to race any MDXs in the area off a red light.

I kept my eye on the engine temp and it didn't seem to change at all since the install. I need more time to tell if the intake causes a change in gas mileage. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Quick questions...

Looks like a nice pipe.

Are you using an "open element" type filter -- no air filter housing? Are you using any plumbing to direct outside air (like from in front of the grill or below the air dam) If not you won't see higher engine temperatures per se, but you might see higher intake air temps. This will fool the ECM into thinking that the air is warmer and has less O2, possibly causing a slighter leaner injector pulse, but also causing you to go into closed loop sooner. THe summer heat means there is not a big change, but in the winter you could experience a n overly lean condition. Finally , did you unplug the ECM to let it acquire a BLM on the new intake? If not it may seat the IAC too far open, which would give an initial surge on small throttle angle aceleration (like from a dead idle).
manus1980 said:
...The filter is a K&N copy from Japan. It has a thin wire mesh with folded paper nooks and it looks and works really good. Actually I like the way it looks over the K&N.

IMO the noise level is only slightly higher when in neutral. When in drive or reverse it is quite unless you floor it. When flooring it, the intake sounds amazing, very nice. IMO, there is a very noticeable increase in acceleration too. The MDX always seemed a little slow from a complete stop, but now I'm very happy. I didn't expect the intake to make such a difference in performance. I have no dyno test or anything to back my opinions but would be glad to race any MDXs in the area off a red light.

I kept my eye on the engine temp and it didn't seem to change at all since the install. I need more time to tell if the intake causes a change in gas mileage. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Quick questions...

renov8r said:
Looks like a nice pipe.

Finally , did you unplug the ECM to let it acquire a BLM on the new intake? If not it may seat the IAC too far open, which would give an initial surge on small throttle angle aceleration (like from a dead idle).
Is that really necessary? Could you not just disconnect the battery to reset, and then let it idle until the management systems calibrate themselves?
I haven't looked at the service manual, but it's unlikely to tell you what to do if you modify the intake.
I have trouble believing it is going to make that much difference to offset Idle Air Control to a point that would be noticeable. A little different if you had some forced induction.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think disconnecting the ECM is preferable only b/c disconnecting the battery (which would serve the same purpose) will result in the loss of all memory programming for radio/nav/seats/mirrors/etc. I do an ECM fuse-pull on my GS every once in awhile (like if I've gone through an extended period of city/commute bumper-to-bumper driving with no "real" driving) to reset the adaptive tranny.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Hmm, interesting. I haven't dabbled around with that stuff for a while. I thought the adaptive electronics was more forgiving in recent modern vehicles. And would 'adapt' if you will, to a change in driving pattern relatively quickly. In the MDX I have flogged through traffic for a few weeks, then gone to long distance driving and noticed virtually no changes in shift behavior, etc. I had noticed a difference on early vehicles, although they did seem to adapt after a couple of days.

Good points about the Nav/radio/etc. though. That would be a pain to re-enter all that stuff.
I just don't see the a change in air filter or routing, etc. making a noticeable difference but just yanking a fuse to reset the ECM would not be a big deal if you wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I have no clue re: the necessity of resetting b/c of the new intake. I don't understand that sorta stuff :)

FWIW I don't believe the MDX tranny is adaptive like the Lexus. Obviously, it has the grade logic, but that's different than rev-based shiftpoints determined by my "typical" driving behavior.

Uncertain re: learning curve time on the Lexus, but the idea of the reset is to immediately (for those impatient, like me) get the shiftpoints higher up the rev band; it tends to bring them down for "smooth crawling" driving after a period of time. Oddly, there's a regular/sport tranny mode that can be manually selected, but both are subject to the "learned behavior". Would've been nice if the "sport mode" just wasn't adaptive @ all and always shifted @ high revs.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update with another pic

My Car Domain Web Page
<p>So far I have drove a couple hundred miles with the new intake. I notice that when driving in cool weather the car obviously performs better then in hot temperatures but it also performs better then stock would in cool weather. In hot temperatures (a humid 90+) the car drives like it is stock. I'm going to try to build a heat shield to remedy this problem. I have driven this car in the rain also without any problems.</p><p>In cool weather the car burns about the same amount of gas as stock. In hot weather slightly more then stock, another reason I need to add that heat sheild.</p><p>Any recomendations how to prevent sucking in that hot air? Icebox, fan, etc..?</p><p>One thing is for sure, I'm not going back to stock since I cannot part with my new found performance and vtec tone.</p>

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sort of like "Paul Harvey"...

...now I now 'the rest of the story".

Your better perfromance in cooler weather suggests that the hot underhood air is not good. Long term, you ought to try to design a duct to take some air from under the bumper, in the air dam area or ahead of the radiator.

You could play around with some baffles to try to keep the hot air from after the radiator and exhaust manifolds away from the intake, but that is likely to be much harder to achieve. An icebox is only useful at the dragstrip.

Welcome to the world of speed parts!

In just a matter of months you will spend all your savings on a new ECM and test equipment :D :D :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Reset the ECM

I belong to board like this for my Toyota Tundra and because Toyota has the TRD division for performance products unplugging the battery or fuse to the computer is a must for any change in exhaust or intake. Most of the posts I have read say for 30 minutes.

Do you need to do that with Honda.....I don’t know!!!

Good luck
Niles

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
renov8r,

Your right, I spend every dollar I made/make on this car. After reseting the ECM do I drive it on side streets, highways, or it doesn't matter? I wish my intake extended into the bumper then there would be no problem. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where can I buy a custom Intake?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Intakes

My friend can make some more chrome intakes if I can get at least 3 people interested. Trickedoddy had a custom intake as well, he drives an Oddyssey, which has a very similar engine. He tried to make some intakes for other members but the pipe bender never came through for him. Our intakes look very different from one another and are of different circumfrances.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: The Tornado

Fireblade6 said:
All these talks about K&N airfilters and homegrown air intake modification...

I have been doing some research into this and the ONLY thing that really works with DATA to backup is this product called the TORNADO. In physics on the science of THERMODYNAMICS...this by math works.. Check it out the web-site and let me know.

I purchased one and am planning on testing it.

http://www.tornadoair.com/cgi-bin/purchase.cgi?make=ACURA&model=MDX&year=2001&engine=6/3.5&partno=98&partquan=1
That looks exciting. Keep us posted! (What's the install like, before and after MPG, etc.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts