Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am new to this forum but not new to auto forums or Honda products. We recently picked up a 2016 MDX with adv+ent. So far I put about 60 miles on it. The ride is great, tranny behaves as designed and everything seems to be working just fine. However there are few things that I've noticed:

1- the navigation screen is a bit hazy, almost like it has some kind of protective film over it. I've tried peeling it with my fingernails at the corners but couldn't get anything to come off. My 2014 Odyssey Elite has a clear glossy screen.
2- The other issue is my steering wheel is off center (to the right). Wondering if I should get it aligned?
3- Backup cam image is worse that what I have in my Odyssey. It looks all washed out, especially at night. I've tried playing with contrast and brightness but couldn't get it any better.

Few more things that I hoped would be there are: motorized folding mirrors and a bluray DVD, Pilot has it, why not MDX?

Any inputs are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Yeah the navi/backup cam screen is a repeated complaint here. Not sure we can do anything about it. It's likely a mixture of a bad screen and a bad camera (especially since Honda made a point to outfit ALL their vehicles with backup cams standard, so going cheap sounds like their method of choice).

The off center wheel is likely an alignment issue. Before you bring it in, make sure your tire pressures are equal across so that the dealer can't try to pull the "oh one tire was flatter than the other" BS. On a related note, anyone know the stock alignment specs of our MDXes? I've been trying to find it, but no luck.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
2- The other issue is my steering wheel is off center (to the right). Wondering if I should get it aligned?
You should definitely bring it to the dealer for this. Either it's out of alignment or the steering wheel wasn't put on centered. An actual alignment issue will affect tire wear and affect handling. Even if it's just that the steering wheel is off center - you'll likely find it'll bug you every time you drive it so get it fixed. I agree with Neoshi on checking the tire pressures in case you have a really incorrect inflation - i.e. uneven. It shouldn't matter if it's showing a little high or little low for this but they should all be within 1-2 psi of each other. The correct pressure is 35 psi cold.

On the other items - it's likely 'as designed' but to be sure, check out another couple of MDXs on the dealer lot when you take it in for the alignment issue just to see if they match your observations of the camera/screen or not. Note that the MDX rear camera is far from HD quality - I say this based on my 2014, I don't know if they improved it for 2016. Regardless, I find that it does the job of letting me see what's going on back there - it works but it's an area that Acura should improve.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did check tire pressure right a way and it was perfect on both sides. I''l probably book an appointment to the dealer. If the alignment on MDX is anything similar to VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne with dynamic cruise control/collision avoidance than it's an 8 hour job as they would have to re-calibrate both systems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dropped the car off at the dealer this morning. Should be ready by 5pm. I also asked them to check on 15-039 (tranny leaks). While waiting for the shuttle my SA showed me two more MDX's and both had same hazy nav screens, so did the MDX shuttle. Not that I am happy about it but at least it's a relive that mine operates as designed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats! I took delivery of the same vehicle about 2 weeks ago. I've added about 270 miles. NAV screen for me seems fine. But I agree, I guess the camera could be clearer. I have family that purchased the new Volvo XC90, I'll check out their camera to make a comparison.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I just posted another thread with the solution I found. Well not really a solution but an improvement from what the factory setting are :)

Most of us are familiar with how grainy and fuzzy our nav screens look. Today I was playing around with settings and was able to come up with somewhat acceptable solution. It's pretty simple and I am sure some of you have already figured it out. here what I did:

1- System Settings
2- Display
3- Brightness set to +11
4- Contrast set to +5
5- Black level set to -5

Those values were applied to a daytime setting. Night time settings automatically set to: Brightness +4, Contrast +5, Black level 0.

At least now I can look at the navi display without cringing and I can actually see things when I back up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, I just posted another thread with the solution I found. Well not really a solution but an improvement from what the factory setting are :)

Most of us are familiar with how grainy and fuzzy our nav screens look. Today I was playing around with settings and was able to come up with somewhat acceptable solution. It's pretty simple and I am sure some of you have already figured it out. here what I did:

1- System Settings
2- Display
3- Brightness set to +11
4- Contrast set to +5
5- Black level set to -5

Those values were applied to a daytime setting. Night time settings automatically set to: Brightness +4, Contrast +5, Black level 0.

At least now I can look at the navi display without cringing and I can actually see things when I back up.
Thanks for the tip! I'll see if that improves mine as well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
couldn't find this thread when i was in the parking lot last night, but I have my night mode set to max brightness and -2 contrast and -2 black level.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I find the backup camera to be pretty clear. It's clearer than my Audi's and my parent's Lexus. I find that modern BMW backup cameras seem to be the clearest, but they charge you an arm and a leg for a camera as it's almost never included and is always an add-on.

In terms of the screen resolution, it's again not as great as BMW's, and it's perhaps a little worse than my Audi's, but I think it is as good if not better than my parent's 2015 Lexus RX.

·
Registered
56 Posts
iow, par for a japanese car. I think most of us are more annoyed that it used to be better, like in the TLs for instance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased an MDX Adv & entertainment yesterday. It's beautiful! We also own a 2013 mdx tech and entertainment. Thank you for the display settings will try those.

I do have a question and cannot find the answer elsewhere in the forum. It is probably something obvious. I do not see a clock display anywhere when it am using a screen other than the "information screen". Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Either on the audio or nav screens?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just purchased an MDX Adv & entertainment yesterday. It's beautiful! We also own a 2013 mdx tech and entertainment. Thank you for the display settings will try those.

I do have a question and cannot find the answer elsewhere in the forum. It is probably something obvious. I do not see a clock display anywhere when it am using a screen other than the "information screen". Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Either on the audio or nav screens?

Thank you in advance for your help.
On my 14,the clock shows up on every screen. It's in the upper right corner.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thank the Lord this thread exists. We bought a 2014 MDX that is almost new and I thought it was my eyes going bad. My co-pilot who was accustomed to reading the one in the 06 RL told me she won't even try to read the NAV unit the screen is so poor.. And, we've upgraded to the 2017 disk which didn't help at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the exact model as you which now has about 33K. Other than the heater blower that was replaced due to the annoying chirping noise and the recharge of freon (both covered under waranty), I think it's pretty awesome. Oh and the automatic engine idle wasn't working so the dealer fixed it by updating the software. Then it stopped working and the dealer fixed it again. Then it wasn't working for months (even when it was warm out) so I gave up. Then one day it started working again and now it works too well. I think this car has mind of its own. Even the lane assistance works only when it feels like it.

Only part I still can't figure out is the rear entertainment. I want to play my cd or radio while my kids are watching movies in the back row with the headphone. But I still don't know how to control 2 separate devices at once and the manual doesn't explain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 2015 MDX Advanced and a 2015 TLX Advanced and the TLX has a much better screen and backup camera than the MDX. Good luck because no one has cared about mine.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread. I am familiar with the screen resolution issues on the 3rd gens but recently the nav screen on my 15 tech gets intermittently hazybabd washed out. Similar to if I went into the display settings and turned the brightness to maximum. The only way to fix the screen when this happens is to turn off the display by pressing the buttons a few times. This is the closest thing I've found related to this issue https://www.edmunds.com/acura/mdx/2014/long-term-road-test/2014-acura-mdx-hazy-display.html . Has anyone else experienced this? In debating on taking it to the dealer since it should be covered under warranty but it's intermittent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts