1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I have done few mods for my 2019 MDX.
1 Body side mouldings.
I bought this one from Bernardi Honda/Acura, the color matching moldings and mud guards.
No issues with mud guards, it went on easy (just need a stubby short phillips screwdriver).

When I used templates and line up the moldings I feel it's too low from the midline of the door (See first picture)
I have seen pictures of other's car where body side moldings line up with the crease line in the door (See second picture).

Above is if I line up moldings to the template.
Below is what I would like to do...

What's the suggestion? Use template or just line up like last picture?

2) I installed door lights that project Acura logo..
Challenge here was that front door wire is too short to pull the old light out. I still managed to plug in the new light and it works fine.
However the rear 2 door lights had long enough wire but when I plugged in the new light it would not work. As it turns out they did supply two wires you can use and then it worked fine. Looks like socket in the new light is not long enough and I got lucky with front two lights.

I have few smaller mods on the way (LED lights for rear hatch and front foot light)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
First picture looks low, even on the "build your mdx", position looks more like at 2nd picture. Love the projected "Acura" Logo light, how long did it take you to remove and install them?

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First picture looks low, even on the "build your mdx", position looks more like at 2nd picture. Love the projected "Acura" Logo light, how long did it take you to remove and install them?

View attachment 113572
JTM, I agree 2nd picture looks more natural. Don't know why they made the template so lower!!

Switching the lights is easy.
Essentially you are replacing 4 door lights which are at the bottom of the door.

First one will be hard to feel around the casing (use thin flat head screwdriver.
You might get the plastic cover at first try but black plastic cover will come off once you pry around it.
First one took me 10-15 minutes between getting it out and working with very short connector. However if I were to do again, I would use the supplied wire connector to easily plug it into short connector and other end goes into the new light as I have in the picture above. Other 3 will take 5 minutes each.
It's a nice addition.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I agree it is a great addition. The current light on the door is too dim, I didn't really notice about it, especially the light from under the mirror is much brighter.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
495 Posts
Was interesting looking at the template for the side moldings and where it had the placement of the front of the molding itself. I just did this on my '19 a couple weeks ago, and the template had me put it just below the body line, similar to your second picture. It's almost like the template they gave was for the RDX or something (?). You can use the body lines to align the front. On the rear you need to really try to match the alignment with the front molding, since the body line on the rear door disappears about halfway back. It can be done without the template - just take your time and eyeball it before you remove the backing tape. Good luck....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
All of the moldings I've seen are like the 2nd pic, so there's gotta be something up with the template!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the dealer where I bought the parts and he confirmed it is indeed for 2019 MDX.

With that I ignored the vertical spacing of the template but alighted horizontally and it came out fine.
BTW: I had to drive the car and forgot to take off the front/back templates and I lost front template before I installed the moldings :) It didn't make a difference after all!

First picture shows two template and how I aligned the molding.
Next few are how it looks.

Finished looks...

Passenger side....

Reactions: JTM

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did the same thing with the door moldings for my 2017 MDX Hybrid. I just taped the template a bit higher and followed the door seam. But I have seen plenty of MDX's with the moldings below the door seam and I prefer the molding on the higher line.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all
First post here as I just picked up my new MDX ASpec a couple weeks ago. I have the same accessories installed: side mouldings and splash guards were installed by the dealer. I was hesitant about lining up the mouldings perfectly so I let the dealer deal with that. Looks like mine were installed just above the crease. Honestly, I just had them installed for looks rather than for protection, since every car door is shaped differently and there really is no way to protect door dings from happening. I also installed the Acura projector logos on the front two doors only. I purchased those from Amazon. I had no problems installing them myself and didn’t have to pull off the door panel as others have mentioned they had to do. Next project will be to replace some of the LED interior lights with brighter ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all
First post here as I just picked up my new MDX ASpec a couple weeks ago. I have the same accessories installed: side mouldings and splash guards were installed by the dealer. I was hesitant about lining up the mouldings perfectly so I let the dealer deal with that. Looks like mine were installed just above the crease. Honestly, I just had them installed for looks rather than for protection, since every car door is shaped differently and there really is no way to protect door dings from happening. I also installed the Acura projector logos on the front two doors only. I purchased those from Amazon. I had no problems installing them myself and didn’t have to pull off the door panel as others have mentioned they had to do. Next project will be to replace some of the LED interior lights with brighter ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi, See this thread before you buy any LED lights.
You can NOT change dome/roof lights, they are LED but very dim and amber.
Find the proper bulbs from below thread.
Be careful what you buy for rear hatch (I bought wrong kind).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the link. I wonder if all trims have the same interior lighting. I haven’t driven mine at night yet but I see that most of the lights are LED and the small red ambient lights accompanying each of those dome lights. The footwell lights might be worth replacing as well as the cargo lights on the rear hatch (I’m pretty sure those are dim halogen bulbs).

Corey
2016 BMW 428ix Gran Coupe
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2019 Acura MDX A-Spec

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I had no problems installing them myself and didn’t have to pull off the door panel as others have mentioned they had to do. Next project will be to replace some of the LED interior lights with brighter ones
OEM projector light (Showing MDX, instead of Acura) is addition lights, which you will need to remove the door panel and drill some holes. But I think Acura logo from Amazon looks great as well, waiting to receive mine today.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Thanks for the link. I wonder if all trims have the same interior lighting. I haven’t driven mine at night yet but I see that most of the lights are LED and the small red ambient lights accompanying each of those dome lights. The footwell lights might be worth replacing as well as the cargo lights on the rear hatch (I’m pretty sure those are dim halogen bulbs).
Red ambient lights is only available for A-Spec.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With ambient lights being somewhat dim already, I’m thinking my red lighting will be almost non-existent. The thing that confuses me is why Acura did some lights in LED and others remaining halogen. Nowadays, one would think that all lights would be LED..

Corey
2016 BMW 428ix Gran Coupe
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2019 Acura MDX A-Spec

1 - 16 of 16 Posts