Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had continous problems with the 2017 MDX tech. At 700 miles I get error lights Transmission error lights and blind spot monitoring problems. My car has been at the dealership for over 20 days. They have changed the shifter and connected and reconnected everything. They say everything is ok with the PCM. They replaced the TCM. And still I have issues. I don't want to invoke the lemon law, as I have spent countless hours negotiating this car!!!!! Acure client relation is a joke. Just a hotline they call and no one calls you back. If this is how you want to be treated for a LUXURY product supposedly be my guest. Acura cars look nice but when things go wrong just don't expect support or for the dealer to stand behind their product! Keep all your documents!!!!!!! Make sure your service advisor notates what is wrong. The service advisors at times don't notate anything and you will have no case! These are my opinions and you are free to make your decision based on what I have said. The car has a lot of electronics and when they go wrong, you will get little to no support! You defiitely do not want to own this car outside of the warranty! ACURA CLIENT RELATIONS IS A JOKE, DON"T EXPECT THEM TO DO ANYTHING REAL. THEY WILL JUST REFER YOU BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I think you should reconsider the lemon law and make sure you track everything and know how the lemon law works in your state in the event you want to end up using it. You might get even more frustrated later.

I don't understand the 'countless hours negotiating this car' statement. I've purchased my last several vehicles from the fleet/internet departments, all remotely, and all with very good deals. It's a fool's game to follow the traditional path of walking into a dealership, negotiating with a salesperson, then negotiating more with the so-called 'sales manager', then negotiating with finance, etc. There's no need for that rigamarole and wasted time anymore.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Hey not every car is perfect, There are bad Apples on the production line and seems you got the shortest end stick...
I agree, Lemon Law the hell out of it and move on..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I go in once and then just play all the dealers of each other on the phone. I do it all over the phone. They won't give me quotes over email. Either way you go in once and know you are serious. Of course I low ball where i know most dealers can't sell me the car for. Wait a few months and you know some dealer is going to be having a bad month albeit due to weather, consumers not buying, or a not enough refreshing. That is usually when I get the call three months later. If I don't, no sweat. There is a whole art to what I do. Some might see it as ruthless, but I like to keep my money! I look at monthly sales of models. Acura MDX's don't sell well in Jan and Feb. Their sales have slow down quite a bit. Good time to negotiate. This time around I received the short end of the stick with a lease payment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am the most amateur and inexperienced car-buyer you are ever likely to meet. I purchased my first-ever brand new car over 12 years ago.

Now, I'm ready to do it again but have never heard of the fleet/internet department which you mentioned.

MDXstang, could you please elaborate a bit on this method?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I am the most amateur and inexperienced car-buyer you are ever likely to meet. I purchased my first-ever brand new car over 12 years ago.

Now, I'm ready to do it again but have never heard of the fleet/internet department which you mentioned.

Every dealer has a web site. They all have "contact us" drop down. Their internet dept will contact you. Some will quote a price but that is only a starting point. Sites like truecar.com will tell you what people are paying for cars in your area. Do your research on line first.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, there always is the alternative of a lemon law action. However, what I understand the OP is basically saying is that MDX's are not as bulletproof as they once were, either initially or over the long haul. I have to agree. While I've had a few issues with my 2009 Tech, they did not crop up immediately after delivery, and were taken care of by the dealer in the normal course when they did arise. In contrast, Consumers Reports, JD Powers and others have downgraded the initial quality and on-going reliability of the 2017 MDX, and posters here have noted significant problems in them as well. When the next generation of the MDX comes out in 2019 or 2020, or whenever, I'll take a good long look at the new model. However, I'll not be assuming that quality and reliability-wise, they will be anything like my '09, or that Acura Customer Relations will give a fig if something significant affects my new vehicle if I buy one. IMHO, Honda/Acura seems to have lost its way a little bit when it comes to supporting a cash cow like the MDX.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think you should reconsider the lemon law and make sure you track everything and know how the lemon law works in your state in the event you want to end up using it. You might get even more frustrated later.

I don't understand the 'countless hours negotiating this car' statement. I've purchased my last several vehicles from the fleet/internet departments, all remotely, and all with very good deals. It's a fool's game to follow the traditional path of walking into a dealership, negotiating with a salesperson, then negotiating more with the so-called 'sales manager', then negotiating with finance, etc. There's no need for that rigamarole and wasted time anymore.
I totally agree with this. The consumer is far better educated than ever before, with tons of information at his/her fingertips, and everyone and their dog knows the dog and pony show that is involved with traditional dealership haggling, which has such a bad reputation as it is (remember years ago Saturn had that no haggle policy to try to mitigate this). Still, there are many more options now with online ads and ability to check carproof, etc. etc. - consumers are no longer at the mercy of the traditional dealership, and honestly, probably care less if the dealer does not accept their offer, as they can go elsewhere. I know many people who don't even bother test driving the car, which I am not sure if I agree with or not.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quality issue is always there, no matter what brand or model year. My 1st MDX was a 1st gen 2003, it was leaking oil from day 1. I got a local dealer who was able to work with the client service at corp level. They fixed it up and offered free month payment and maint services. But I was very upset in the beginning, had consulted a lawyer about state lemon law and even opened a case with BBB on the selling dealer. Again you got to document everything. I know my comment probably does not do any good about OP's situation. I'm sharing my experience with Acura product and their service.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts

There are a few ways to go about buying a vehicle in a way that avoids the traditional salesperson/salesperson manager extended hours of haggling method.

One way is to use a buying service, such as Costco, your credit union, AAA, etc., who negotiate prices on vehicles with certain dealers in the area and you can buy the vehicle without the haggling. Usually there isn't much room for haggling with these prices since they were pre-negotiated with the buying service.

Another way is to contact the 'internet sales' department via the dealership's website which will usually ultimately result in some email contact or, if you leave your phone number (which I usually don't do), a phone call. You ask them for the price on a specific model with the options/colors you want and they tell you the price. It's possible to try to do some haggling on the price point they provide. I've found I can get a somewhat better price using this method rather than the Costco, etc. method.

Regardless of the method used, check the prices from all dealerships within a reasonable distance. 'Reasonable distance' means where you're willing to drive to to pick up the vehicle for the savings - ex:if one dealership is $400 cheaper than another one but requires driving an hour more to pickup the vehicle - is that hour worth $400 to you?

When I bought my MDX the 3rd gen was still very new and vehicles scarce - especially the blue color I wanted. Nevertheless I used the above to check with 5 or 6 dealerships in the general area to get prices. All of the prices were less than they'd hit me with if I walked in cold but a couple of the dealerships had very good prices (based around factory invoice price - not MSRP). I ended up buying it at a dealership about 25 minutes away - not the closest dealership. The entire deal was negotiated before I ever set foot at their place and when I went there it was only to sign a couple of docs and drive the car home. They tried half-heartedly to get me to buy an extended warranty, car alarm, etc. but I just said 'no' and drove off with the negotiated price.

I did something similar for several other vehicles by different manufacturers. It's a much better way to buy a vehicle. Remember that dealerships can trade with other dealerships in the area for specific vehicles so if dealer A has the one you want but has a high price and dealer B has a decent price but no vehicle, usually dealer B can get that one you want from dealer A and you end up with the dealer B good price.

Note - I won't buy a vehicle I don't test drive so when I went to the dealership to get the car I test drove it and made sure that was a condition of the deal. I both test drive and inspect the vehicle thoroughly and if there's something wrong with it they either need to fix it if I consent to that (I did this on the MDX - it had a minor issue I knew they could easily fix - and they did), or they need to replace it with a vehicle of the exact same spec (I had this done once after an idiot ruined the paint during the pickup prep), or I walk away entirely and don't buy it.

Just remember - it's only a vehicle and there's really nothing special about that one day you happened to decide to get a vehicle so always be willing to walk away and just buy the same thing elsewhere or another day - but for a good price.

·
Registered
672 Posts
@mdxstang: good comments.

I found that the Costco and Truecar.com prices were similar, and a good place to start (or even finish) the negotiating. Truecar is particularly useful as you can see the distribution of prices paid. The Truecar (and Costco) prices are generally close to the median price paid (what the average person paid). Note that this is lower than the average price paid as a few people pay far too much but the discounts are limited. When I bought my base SH-AWD 2016 there were some who paid thousands over list, but also a few who got a deal at $2k less than median price. I used the internet to negotiate $800 less than median, but after the extras they threw in I was about $1k ahead of median. The Truecar and Costco prices allowed me to start negotiating from a lower point than list, and much lower than list plus extras. Clearly it is a lot easier to get discounts in large cities with multiple dealers - I ended up taking the train up to Seattle and driving the new car home.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the dealership in the beginning - once you talk with a salesman they "tag" you and that will limit your internet bargaining room. If you come in with a Costco price they may not be interested in further haggling - but that is a decent price to begin with. (You must contact Costco first, so they get the credit for your contact, in order to get the right price. I didn't, and the dealer happily provided me the Costco price plus extras with high pricing - the Costco price is bare bones and no extras required.) I recommend using the Truecar price as a starting point with the internet sales group.

Greg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Client Relations was a joke for me also and that is what has driven me to another brand. Some young man just blew me off with a problem I had like what do you expect us to do we don't have a fix for your problem and don't know when one will be given. Like I was the only one in the world with the problem even though the dealer was having a bunch of problems with the same thing and told me to call them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts