Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX turn to 88,888 Miles and its not even a year of ownership :D

I bought the car with 72,62X Miles back in November 2015 here is my pic driving it back home:

So far I have done (In Date Order) bear in mind I do my own services so things got done in the same day, Each "-" represents a day of work:
- Fix/Replaced Steering Tie Rods (Passenger side*was bad when I got it) 1st thing I ever did to fix Alignment.
- Replaced Oils (ATF, Transfer, Engine Oil w/Filter, SH-AWD Diff Fluid, PS Fluid, Brake Fluid).
- Replaced Spark Plug, Air Filter, Cabin Air Filter.
- 105K/7 Year*Service (Timing Belt, Idler, Tensioner Pulley, Hydro Tensioner, Water Pump) + Anti Freeze Flush and T-Stat.
- Replaced AC Belt and Complete Tensioner Assembly (It was Noisy)..
- Fix/Replaced Driver Door Sub-Harness.
- Replaced all 4 Tires with Pirellis Scorpion Verde´s.
- Fix/Replaced Passenger Side complete Strut Assembly.
- Added ATF Cooler to Bypass the OEM Radiator ATF Warmer
- Replaced Front Brake Pads.

- Maintenance so far:
3x3 ATF when I*got it and 1 ATF Change around 2K miles ago.
3 Engine Oil Changes = 1st one to clear OEM Oil with Mobil 1 5W-30 (Lasted around -/+1000 miles), 2nd one to mix with Mobil 1 EP*(Lasted 10K), 3rd one*with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 (Current with around 4K).
Planning on change them again in December to have full 12 Months Services (This is because I don't even have a year with the car and December works the best for my Wallet).

So far it has been great... I spent more money that I would like in a year but I often do that when I get a new car since I mainly do Highway I need a 100% Reliable Car for what ever it might comes up.
I have so much faith in the condition of the car right now I could do a Country Wide tour with it when-ever I feel like it which was my main objective.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For anyone wondering the (i) was on because of Low Fuel :D
And those are 16,268 miles in 10-11 months.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad to see that your X is still going strong. They really are rock solid if taken care of. I'm about to cross over 136k on mine and I still have full confidence in it. (knock on plood tho)

The only annoyances I have is my seat making a weird noise sometimes (posted a thread about it) and then just recently I got 4 brand new tires mounted and had the car aligned and now it pulls in both directions it seems. I'm about ready to just replace my front struts and see if that changes anything. How could you tell your steering tie rod was bad tho? What effect did it have on the alignment?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see that your X is still going strong. They really are rock solid if taken care of. I'm about to cross over 136k on mine and I still have full confidence in it. (knock on plood tho)

The only annoyances I have is my seat making a weird noise sometimes (posted a thread about it) and then just recently I got 4 brand new tires mounted and had the car aligned and now it pulls in both directions it seems. I'm about ready to just replace my front struts and see if that changes anything. How could you tell your steering tie rod was bad tho? What effect did it have on the alignment?

Its a very good car indeed, I hope I can get it to 200K at least before moving on.
When I first got the car it was pulling ever so slightly to the left but it also had a thump on the steering (If you turn you could feel like a gap between the steering movement and the wheel actually turning). I replaced it and got it aligned and problem solved, It was the only issue when I bought it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Congratulations. Keep working and it and come back with more DIY details. Let's make this place the best for 2nd Gen MDX info.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will try to..
Next thing on the list is to Adjust Valves... I have been delaying it because I dunno if I need to buy the TB Gasket or if it is an Aluminum type like the Manifold which is Re-Useable.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dunno what you mean? Are you saying you cant believe you READ the whole thing? It was actually very little words.. .

Just a silly pun on the all eights mileage. Not one of my best efforts. No aspersions intended. But you complained elsewhere about so few posts. Careful what you wish for... ?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL Well its good to have some interaction in the forum :D
What is your mileage?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Which car? 2003 MDX ~ 175k ( daughter ), 2005 MDX ~ 84k ( son ), 2014 MDX ~ 26k ( wife ), 2016 Pilot ~ 38k ( vacation tour director )

All purchased new, so I know the history, for better or worse. The 2003 keeps me busy when my daughter's home from college. I think it needs valves adjusted, but I haven't done that in ages so I might take it in. I still have scars on my knuckles from DIY engine mounts on that thing. Let's not talk about my failed attempt at timing belt replacement ( that crankshaft pulley nut is a beeeatch ). And the 2005 just got hailed on! :frown2:

But I missed the 2nd-gen MDX somehow, so I'm really just trolling for trouble in this sub-forum. Unless I get the urge to "modernize" part of the fleet. :D

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could not live with the Beak... If I was going to get a 2G it had to be a 07 to 09 because of the front. Overall I´m pretty happy this is my first Honda or Acura SUV so it has been a very good experience.
My TL-S has 220K, MDX 88K, 325i (Wife) 65K.

Hows the Pilot Going? is it on par or above the 14 MDX or it has PROs and CONs against it?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Pros and cons. 3rd-gen Pilot is roomier and has a higher, roomier 2nd row that's better for our adult-size offspring on long trips. That was the deciding factor. Otherwise, I probably would be driving an MDX. Infotainment system is a bit more up-to-date in Pilot but it was buggy when first released and some owners are upset it doesn't support Apple Carplay or Android Auto like some other newly released vehicles from Honda. But my biggest complaint, by far, is the darn ZF 9-speed transmission and associated push-button shifter. Drives me nuts. Much prefer the Honda 6-speed.

MDX is a bit sportier in terms of handling and suspension. MDX also has a somewhat more luxurious interior, consistent with it's near-lux or "smart-lux" market position.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But but didn't the ZF Transmission got a Software update and Fixed all the issues??

I know what you say about the push button, its pretty darn ridiculous. But joke aside didn't the software update fixed the issues with the 9 speed?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Its a very good car indeed, I hope I can get it to 200K at least before moving on.
When I first got the car it was pulling ever so slightly to the left but it also had a thump on the steering (If you turn you could feel like a gap between the steering movement and the wheel actually turning). I replaced it and got it aligned and problem solved, It was the only issue when I bought it.
Did you replace the inner or outer tie rods. Im getting a thump sound when I turn.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^It was the inner one on the drivers side..

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's just breaking in as they say in the Honda world.

I'm at close to 110k. Did the 100k maintenance and new fluids/brakes all around. I don't plan on touching it for at least 50k other than elective mods. Knock on wood.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts