Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...It's here finally! I think the holiday weekend slowed my MDX arrival. :(

The dealer called this morning saying that the MDX was on the lot as of this morning, however, I can't pick it up until Thursday morning. Is this normal? I am not having them do any waxing/buffing, so they won't be spending time doing that. They said they need to check it out and prep it...which is fine. I guess I expected that I would be able to get it within 24 hours from when it arrived at the dealer.

Oh welll...I guess I can wait another 46.5 more hours!

Gig'Em Aggies!

-Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm picking up my MDX this evening. It came in last week, but I was on vacation. I kept worrying that they would sell the thing before I got home.

The cars require some cleaning and prep work prior to delivery.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I picked up my 'X on the same day it arrive in the lot.

But it will take some time for the dealer to prepare your vehicle.
For example, I couldn't pick up my car until they program the car (audio security and remote control, etc) and do the state inspection.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
markt97 said:
The dealer called this morning saying that the MDX was on the lot as of this morning, however, I can't pick it up until Thursday morning. Is this normal? I am not having them do any waxing/buffing, so they won't be spending time doing that. They said they need to check it out and prep it...
Any dealer add-ons? If they have to add any after market items that could explain the extra day, otherwise I do not see a dealer prep taking two days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no dealer add ons...

Just a regular Touring/Navi. I think I may have discovered the reason for the Thursday delivery.....My salesperson is out of the office all day Wednesday...that could be a pretty good reason why he wouldn't want me to wait. I'll see what I can do still...It would really help me out to get the car a day early as I am totally without a vehicle until I get the MDX!

Gig'Em Aggies!

-Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oopps

[in the above msg]
whe he WOULD want me to wait.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If I were you I will wait til Thursday because you want your dealer or salesperson to prepare the X right the first time. (or your salesperson to get his commission). I had wait 2 weeks for my X and then one more day for them to prep. The wait will make you first drive much sweeter.....good things come to those who wait.

Congrats. :2:

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'd be worried - was it damaged when it arrived? I would ask them immediately just to put this issue to rest! I got mine the day it arrived at the dealership. I saw it with the white paper still stuck to it, I went inside and finished the transaction, and it was ready -- only dealer add ons were the rear mud guards and the wheel locks. I'd question them about this delay. (BTW You might be right about the salesman wanting you to wait until he gets back, but that shouldn't override your need for YOUR vehicle!)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just picked up my second MDX tonight. First one was great; dealer sent a letter offering to buy back the lease, and put me in a new one for lower payments! Enough equity built in the old lease to put the cash down on the new one and lower the payment. first time I've ever had that happen.

Love the redrock pearl.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DAC17 - What do you mean by "enough equity" in your lease? Did not think you had any equity in a lease. We are trying to decide whether to lease or buy a redrock base we should be getting in the next two weeks. Thought we were going to try a lease but wife is having second thoughts. So am I. Also where did you buy from? Did you have a wait or did they offer one that came in. From what I could tell during my search, they are hard to come by in the Hartford area. Would be interested. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
You're right that normally there is no equity in a lease. In this case, the lease buyout was less than the trade-in value that the dealer was willing to give us (they have no used ones in stock). The dealer is Acura of Avon. Don't know whether this will be the case for long, but it was pretty economically sound in this case.

Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry; forgot to answer about the wait question. We had to wait about 2 1/2 months for the car to come in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks DAC17 for the info. Interesting that they called you and wanted your car. Did not know that they do that. We are still torn on the lease issue. Can't decide. What are the advantages/disadvantages? We need to decide soon.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Been torn on this decision also. What made us to go buy was

Lease - if you terminate contract, you pay all remaining payments on lease. So it makes sense not to terminate at all.

Our jobs nowadays are not as stable as before because of the economy so in case one loses a job, we can always sell the car and never worry on that lease being terminated early.

Of course, that was the reason for our situation. Yours can be different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I traded in my Honda Ody on my X we had in lease equity that went towards the x. The used car manager that took in my Ody said this rarely happens. My lease b-o was like 18,800 and they allowed me 22,000 on my trade in. That was nice surpise. When I was dealing on my Pilot they were gonna pay it (ODY) off and told me I was lucky they were gonna do that being I had 8 mths left on the lease. SCREW them I bought the X for1,000 more that a Pilot. Base /w/Navi. Your lease payments will be less normally and you can get out early as you see from my situation and not get taken. That was my first lease. Now, personally, I would never lease a chev, or a pontiac or any thing like that you need to look for high residual cars! That's the key from what i can take is that high residual mean everything. Like on the X it's 61% on the ODY 58% and on a Chevy Trialblazer it's like 38%. I'm not an expert maybe others could help you more it you did a separt post on this subject.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Totally understand. Usually, you can only do this if you're terminating the lease early and get a replacement from the same dealer which is also a consideration.

·
Registered
383 Posts
JayCT

Don't lease if you:
have enough down payment.
plan to keep the X a little longer.
Lease is always a bad financial decision.

Bad about lease:
BIG penalty if you terminate the lease early.
Worry about how many miles you drive.
Liable for the cosmetic damage when you return the car.

Good about lease:
New car every 3 or 4 years.
Don't have to sell or trade your used car just turn it in.
Not enough money to drive the X but wanted to.

Just my $0.02
:eek:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There is a good article on leasing vs. buying in an issue of Consumer's Report about a year ago.
It's worth researching if you have not decided. You might be surprised to find that more people are good candidates for leasing than previously thought. Of course, leasing is not the monster with hidden charges it used to be either.
Anyway, the article is very informative on both types of vehicle acquisition and has a little test to see where you fall based on several factors. It's not as cut and dry as you might think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. DaleB I have read the article in Consumers Report and done the test. We are borderline between leasing and buying. Our Accountant advised us to lease since we are able to write it off for my wife's work (it will be her car), but I still don't see how that will save us any money. I have tried figuring it out and buying (with a home equity loan) still seems cheaper. I have been leary of leasing and now that it is getting close to taking delivery, think we will buy. Have got to get that loan application in.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Jay-- Curious as to what wife does...

I have heard car salespeople & tax preparers give FALSE info regarding deductability of leased car costs.

First of all, the lease terms that essentially give you 'assignable ownership rights' {as detailed in above scenario} ARE NOT LEASES AT ALL IN THE EYES OF THE IRS!

You'd need to find an "inflexible" lease to satisfy IRS deductability requirements, but even then the vehicle's manin purpose WOULD NOT be simple commuting!

Bluntly:
<pre>
You must divide out personal time in the car from business time. That includes the commute from home to work, which the IRS considers to be personal use.
</pre>

You must also <i> prorate </i> all the other expenses based on personal use. Therefore, unless work involves many hours delivering goods very few people can deduct much if anything...

I believe there are WIDESPREAD ABUSES of the 'lease deductability' standards. IRS is performing far too few audits. Most people would end up owing ALOT of penalties...

Finally, if you do have a legitimate business that requires use of a vehicle{REMEMBER: COMMUTING DOES NOT COUNT!}, the tax advantages of OWNING the vehicle and legally depreciating it are pretty much identical to anything available for leased vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts