Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
31,400 miles and I could not take the OE Continentals any longer. Searched and decided Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 was the best option. Discount gives a 10% veteran/military discount, so all in was about 30 cents more than the tires them selves.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Report back after a few thousand miles on how they perform and feel on the road. My OEM Conti have one more winter left and I will need new tires around next summer (+26,000 miles now).

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I replaced the OEM Continentals on my 2014 at 43,400. I didn't have any issues with them but they were worn out so I replaced them with Michelin Premier LTX that now have around 35K miles on them. I like these tires as well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Report back after a few thousand miles on how they perform and feel on the road. My OEM Conti have one more winter left and I will need new tires around next summer (+26,000 miles now).
I hear you. I was looking at mine too and if it was spring/summer I would have kept driving them, but I really wanted something new going into winter. I don't usually see much snow, and being retired I really don't have to drive every day after the wife's radiation treatments end next month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In July I traded in a 2017 CRV with 80k miles that I had Michelins on for a used 2018 MDX w/advance package with 43k. The dealership had already installed new OEM Continentals, but I'm almost wishing the miles away to replace them. They ride fine, but boy were those Michelins quiet on the CRV

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,772 Posts
31,400 miles and I could not take the OE Continentals any longer. Searched and decided Pirelli Scorpion AS+3 was the best option. Discount gives a 10% veteran/military discount, so all in was about 30 cents more than the tires them selves.
The Pirellis were in my top 3 in my search. But with having a great experience with Dunlop on my previous econobox, I went with Goodyears. Other than the slight shimmying at 60 - 70 MPH its a great set of tires. Hope to hear back from what the pirellis treat you.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, two times traveling the same road, which isn't much, but dB level is 2 to 5 dB lower with the new tires. I have to go to town doe a DR appointment later next week so I will be able to test some more. So far I am really pleased. Just wish the installers had set the pressure where it's suppose to be.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,290 Posts
dB level is 2 to 5 dB lower with the new tires.
Keep in mind, tires get louder as you use them and the tread depth decreases. That's why ANY new tires almost always sound quieter than the ones they replace.

Just wish the installers had set the pressure where it's suppose to be.
Set it yourself and check it yourself, as often as you need to - certainly after any tire service, and especially at the start of winter. (Colder temperatures mean the tires have less pressure, which is why you typically have to add air this time of year.)

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Technology. Tow package, LED Fogs, Roof Rails, Door sills
47 Posts
Thank you for your service!!! I hope the tires keep you happy and safe...nice purchase on the Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Don't count out the General Altimax RT43. They are a VERY affordable tire with a very good rating (at Tire Rack). I'm still on the original 20" Conti's, which I hate, but next year will need to replace them and I will consider the Generals. I referred my son and daughter-in-law (both have 2016 Honda Pilots with 20's) to the Generals and they LOVE them on both cars. And they saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
36,000 on my 2018 MDX Hybrid Continentals and they have been problem free. Suspect I'll need to replace next year. Not sure if I will stick with the Continentals or switch to
Michelin. I've always used Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires on my 2001 and 2005 MDXs, but they are pricey!

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Technology. Tow package, LED Fogs, Roof Rails, Door sills
47 Posts
36,000 on my 2018 MDX Hybrid Continentals and they have been problem free. Suspect I'll need to replace next year. Not sure if I will stick with the Continentals or switch to
Michelin. I've always used Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires on my 2001 and 2005 MDXs, but they are pricey!
I have always gone to Tire Rack .com to see what tires are recommended for my vehicles. Then I look at the reviews and consider the specifications and price. Right now the 3 I would choose based on consumer reviews, tread wear, speed rating, and price......are the following:
CONTINENTAL
CROSSCONTACT LX25

PIRELLI
SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II

SUMITOMO
HTR A/S P03

I believe the General Atimax RT43 is a touring tire. Depending on the type of driving you do, that will also help determine what type of tire you would like. Since my MDX is a performance luxury SUV, I like to stick to a more of a performance rated all season tire. If I live about 50 miles closer to Snoqualmie (Mt. Rainier), I would probably consider snow performance tires.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I've always used Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires on my 2001 and 2005 MDXs, but they are pricey!
Your 2018 hybrid MDX is pricey too though. The delta in cost between what you think you might want, like the Michelins, and the alternatives, like the Continental, really is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost and value of your vehicle so I say go for it. Tires are one of the biggest factors in the driving experience that you already paid plenty for and you'll probably have those tires on for the next few years of ownership and driving experience so it's best to get what you think might be the best.

fyi - I had OEM Conti on my 2014 MDX, was happy enough with them, but replaced them with Michelin (Premier LTX) when they wore out and am happy with those also. Although I'm the frugal sort, I don't skimp when it comes to tires for the reasons of both safety and driving experience.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Put Michelins back on the truck. The original model, it wears faster but it is designed for comfort,
Noise and performance. Go to Bj wholesale on Black Friday (whoops) to save on costs. I always put back original and bj wholesale will beat the dealer or any price everytime, and the tires come with free rotation and road hazard.

·
Registered
2014 MDX Tech SH-AWD
71 Posts
Keep in mind the stock Contis are the sport variant of the Cross Contact...harder, noisier, and faster wearing than the LX25 which is an excellent tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm on stock continental lx sports, it's an OK tire.

Has anyone tried the michelin pilot sport 4 suv?

265 45 20
I'm thinking that would be a great tire, I'm also switching to an aftermarket rim.

I plan on making the stock rim a winter set with nokian tires.

Sy

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground this morning to take DW to cancer treatment. The Pirellis did a really good job of getting me out to the main road. They seem to be well suited for winter traction. The only thing when it's slick like at a traffic light, like all tires they don't want to grab very well. But with Acuras SHAWD it was no problem.
So far I am still very pleased with the Scorpion AS+3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't count out the General Altimax RT43. They are a VERY affordable tire with a very good rating (at Tire Rack). I'm still on the original 20" Conti's, which I hate, but next year will need to replace them and I will consider the Generals. I referred my son and daughter-in-law (both have 2016 Honda Pilots with 20's) to the Generals and they LOVE them on both cars. And they saved a lot of money.
I have 46,000 miles on a set of General Altimax RT43 and they still have 6/32 tread left, very quiet, good in the wet and snow and overall a great tire for the money, I will get a another set, only got 36,000 out of the original Contis

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I'm still on the original 20" Conti's, which I hate, but next year will need to replace them and I will consider the Generals.
General Tire is actually owned by Continental. You may have already known this.

Of course, it's not so much the company as it is the specific model of tire since there are different attributes for different models with the consumers looking for different results out of a tire - long life at the expense of handling, dry weather traction at the expense of wet weather and snow/ice, ride quality versus the other attributes, durability against damage, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts