Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite traveling companion (besides the wife, of course) is my Igloo 22-Quart Thermoelectric Cooler ($59.87 at WalMart) . I plug it in to the rear outlet and can ice down a picnic lunch and/or the beverages of choice.
Problem is, it slides around as I hotdog around corners (VTEC makes me bad). Sometimes it even unplugs itself.
I have thought about rigging up bungee cords but the only obvious anchors are on the floor making that a bit awkward. I also considered Velcro but I'm not sure about the aesthetics of Velcro strips stuck all over the place.
Anyone have an idea they can share?
Meep Meep

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
You could just duct tape it to the back seat. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Roadrunner!

Just a suggestion...

If ventilation is not a problem, why not find a box or tray of some kind and apply some of that non-skid stuff (great description, huh?;) ) that you can trim to fit in drawers, tool boxes, etc. to the bottom of the box or tray...or to the bottom of the cooler if you want. It comes in various sizes, and if I remember correctly, you can find it with the drawer lining contact paper. I have also seen it in hardware sections for lining toolboxes. That should help - I would think.

I am glad to know you like the cooler. My hubby and I are very cheap and always carry drinks, at least, when we go out of town for the day. I have been wanting one of those, and thanks to you...it is officially on my want list!:D

·
Registered
616 Posts
roadrunner said:
I also considered Velcro but I'm not sure about the aesthetics of Velcro strips stuck all over the place.
Anyone have an idea they can share?
Meep Meep
Roadrunner, you can get Velcro in *designer* colors (tan, black etc.) that should pretty closely match the interior carpet colors of the MDX. With some carpets, you can actually just use the hook portion attached to the object, and the carpet would act as the loop - but, unfortunately, the carpeting in the MDX doesn't seem to use a loop pattern). Can't hurt to try, that industrial strength Velcro is amazing stuff.

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hints For Use

'X MOM said:
I am glad to know you like the cooler. My hubby and I are very cheap and always carry drinks, at least, when we go out of town for the day. I have been wanting one of those, and thanks to you...it is officially on my want list!:D
I love it but let me share a few hints that will help you get the best results:
I've found it does a good job if you precool all of the items you put in, run it overnight before the trip to cool the box itself (the optional AC adapter is very helpful here) and, of course, don't leave it in the hot car with the power off for long periods of time. It does a good job at staying cold but it takes a long time for it to get cold or to get warm contents cold. For instance, at night, I take it into the motel and use the AC adapter.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
79 Posts
roadrunner

I was wondering if a cargo net would do the job for you, providing that your cooler isn't too large. My net seems to keep most of my items in place.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
That would work unless you want the drinks close at hand, and no one is in the back seat to hand them to you.

BTW The Igloo deal at Walmart is very good. I posted the JCwhitney for those that might want to keep food warm also. But it does not have the capacity or efficiency of the Igloo not to mention as good a warranty.

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warms Too

DaleB said:
Is that a cooler and a warmer?
It is supposed to be - all you have to do is reverse the plug. I believe most or all of the thermoelectric chests are. It's sorta a built in property of the pizo-electric technology. I have never actually used it as a warmer. Here in Charleston, keeping things warm is not usually the problem;)

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IRONED said:
roadrunner

I was wondering if a cargo net would do the job for you, providing that your cooler isn't too large. My net seems to keep most of my items in place.
I have a net and use it all the time to hold smaller items. I'm not sure if there is a good way to get it to hold something as large as this chest - but it's certainly worth a try.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i'd vote for four 3/8" x 12" lag bolts- certainly cut down on the sliding. Keep it away from the spare tire underneath....

They use a peltier device- heats and cools, although some models may only cool.

I thought the outlet in the rear VERY cool for that exact purpose: both long road trips and long shopping trips in the summer (COSTCO./SAMSCLUB/etc) Over the course of a 4-5 hour shopping day the frozen goods are thawed!

Ard

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peltier - Pizo ...... starts with a P anyway

Opps sorry bout that - Peltier technology! Guess college Physics was too long ago .......... not sure Peltier was invented when I was in school .......... not even sure Physics was invented.
Anyway, yes Ard, it's not really good on keeping frozen foods frozen for very long but it'll keep the Chardonnay cold forever;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Peltier - Pizo ...... starts with a P anyway

roadrunner said:
Opps sorry bout that - Peltier technology! Guess college Physics was too long ago .......... not sure Peltier was invented when I was in school .......... not even sure Physics was invented.
Anyway, yes Ard, it's not really good on keeping frozen foods frozen for very long but it'll keep the Chardonnay cold forever;)
If I recall the Pizeo electric was the property that lets solid devices change shape and virbrate. Great for horns and buzzers etc.

Chris

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
rr:

I assume (with all the baggage that term carries with it) that you want to hold the cooler still in (on) the 2nd-row seat. Why not just hold it in place with a seat belt? I use the belts to hold all sorts of odd-shaped objects in place.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try running an 1" strap from the 3rd Rd seat child seat retainer anchor to the 2nd Row child seat retainer anchor. Use an adjustable buckle to cinch the strap across the front of the cooler. You should be able to find the strap from your local outdoors store. You can also try the tie down strap from Home Depot, the hooked ends might be a little large for the anchors. Additional hook part of the velcro attached to the bottom of your cooler will further reduce the cooler slide. If you worry about the cooler popping up, you can run one additional adjustable bungee cord over the top of the cooler, also from Home Depot. Good luck.

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the Great Ideas!

I appreciate all the great input from everyone. I'll try some of your ideas and if I find a solution that works well - then I'll snap some digital pictures and post them here. Thanks everyone.
Meep Meep:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts