Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took it for a real life drive yesterday.
100 miles round trip.
Mostly highway (85%), some back roads and very little city driving.
Dash shows 28.2 MPG, not bad for this size car.
I had it in comfort mode, except once I turned on sport+ for a short 2 mile.

Apple Car play - Very nice. Loved seeing satellite map (google map) on the screen.
One caution you need original apple cable (I guess too much data demand) because 3rd party cables were intermittent and kept dropping connection to the car.
I am still learning car play but I can see using it all the time.

LKAS is the best, it actually keeps the car in lane for long stretches...
Very useful for long road trips.
Compared to that my 2017 Prius Prime will only beep and nudge a little but it will NOT keep the car in lane.
On MDX I did found that at times it turns the system off (not solid lane markings on the dash).
That's unfortunate because I can't rely on it for a long (I got surprised twice when it started to weer off).

ACC...
Prius wins this one. It's spot on when following vehicle ahead of you.
It is so accurate to focus only on the lane ahead of you, it doesn't get fooled by cars in the
lanes around you.
MDX seem to have much wider area covered ahead of you.
I was following a car and it went in to right lane and took exit but MDX kept slowing down even though
there was no car in my lane...

Both ACC are smooth but I found MDX little quick to accelerate (which I like).
Prius is very smart as in if a car cuts in it doesn't stomp on the brakes, it gives a little time before slowing down.
I have not run into this with MDX yet.

Hybrid - I did notice engine kicking in often even when there was sufficient battery charge on a small windy back road.
When I press the accelerator from stand still 90% of the time engine kicks in regardless of battery level.
Break hold - I like this feature, it will be welcome relief in the stop-n-go traffic.

Overall MDX was pleasure to drive and I hope that continues :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Welcome to the club. LKAS will turn off if it can’t see clear markings on the road. Remember,it’s driver’s assist. You still need to pay attention. ACC is even better in stop and go traffic. Keeps you from having to constantly move your foot. Mileage will improve as you put miles on. I found mine got better after about 14k miles. The engine coming on is not just based on battery charge. There is a lot going on there. It’s almost always going to come on when starting from stand still. Sport + is pointless on the highway. All it does is lower your mileage. However, on winding roads,when you are not on CC it can be a lot of fun. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Enjoyed the write up!

Don't have my first road trip scheduled for my hybrid until mid-October for 12hrs from ABQ to San Antonio. Looking forward to getting 25-30 mpgs instead of 19-20 mpg in my 11 MDX for the same trip.

I did a short 90 mile round-trip to Santa Fe a few weeks ago. I've noticed:

- ACC can sometimes exceed the set MPH by up to 5 mph when it re-accelerates. The speed limit is 75 mph and I set the ACC to 80 mph. I would see speeds up to 85 mph when the ACC had to slow down and re-engage when the road was clear. The ACC would settle back down to 80 mph not long after. I think I noticed this mostly if I'm accelerating up an incline compared to level ground.

- I sometimes get a strange creaking sound that I think is coming from the front windows. It comes and goes and I only hear it every once in a while. Lowering and raising the front passenger windows seem to reduce the sound a lot (but not completely). I haven't figured out what conditions cause the creaking and it only happens about less than 5% of the time I'm driving.

- When the gas pump clicks off, you are 100% topped off. My 11 MDX would click off and I could still put 4 to 4 1/2 gallons of gas in (20 gal tank; but, I put as much as 23.5 gal when DTE is in single digits). At 19-20 mpgs with my 11 MDX, that would give me almost another 90-100 miles of hwy driving. The first time I filled the 19 MDX, I ended up spilling gas out seconds after I tried to put more in after the click. Even my 06 TSX and 08 DX would let me put in 1-2 gallons after the click (not topping off).

- LKAS is just as useful as ACC! It make long hwy runs sooooo much easier. Just have to remember to use the turn signal when changing lanes.

- Noticed the ACC intervals are so much longer compared to my 11 MDX. The shortest range on my 19 MDX is about mid range of my 11 MDX. My short range on my 11 MDX is about 3 seconds behind the lead car at 80 mph; while, my 19 MDX is around 4-5 seconds at the shortest distance. I end up getting a lot of cars cutting in front of me with the 19 MDX ACC intervals.

- Carplay is the way to go! Love Waze with hazards and police notifications. I wish I could put Waze on the lower touch screen because it is hard to use a touch screen app with a knob sometimes.

- The hybrid is pretty much fwd at +75 mph. I didn't notice much engagement of the rear electric motors for regen braking, sh-awd, or extra electric hp/tq at +80 mph. I would only see regen braking with the front at those speeds. Not a big deal;but, some interstates are 80 mph speed limits out west and I set the ACC to 85-90 mph depending on travel packs. I still get sh-awd with my 11 MDX at +90 mph.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The electric motors on the rear wheels are not made for over 75. So it’s FWD after that speed. Your 11 wasn’t a hybrid.
With the rear motors not running at high speeds how does the higher speed acceleration compare to the non-hybrid given the gas engine has less horsepower? Or does combined gas engine/front electric motor equal the non version models in power?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
With the rear motors not running at high speeds how does the higher speed acceleration compare to the non-hybrid given the gas engine has less horsepower? Or does combined gas engine/front electric motor equal the non version models in power?
I’ve never had an occasion to step on it at over 75. In sport + mode,the car scoots. The hybrid has more HP than the gas version. Someone else may have that information. I have noticed that the hybrid is FWD over 75. I’m not heavy on the gas.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You will be holding up traffic out west if you stick to just 75 mph a lot of the times. It feels like the acceleration is a little better with the hybrid at +75 mph compared to my 11 mdx. The issue I have with my 11 mdx is driving at 5000-7800 feet and I don’t have the power compared to lower altitudes. Feels like the front electric motor along with the DCT makes up the power difference better at my elevation. My 11 mdx can make more vtec noise than power when trying to pass at +7000 feet.

Can’t wait to see how the hybrid drives at sea level when I take a few west coast trip to LA and Fresno next spring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 2014 Tech and I have a 2017 hybrid. I have driven both across most of the West at high speeds. The 2014 was noticeably more responsive above 80 mph.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mrgold...
Thanks for heads up on gas fill up :)
BTW: My range shows 575 miles (275 drive, 300 range).

I can already see LKAS will make it less tiring on log trips.
Break hold will make it a much better int stop-and-go.

MDX hybrid is geared for performance vs. maximum energy saving (like Prius).
With every night charging Prius I usually for 1200 miles between gas fill up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I took new MDX to my regular commute 27 miles each way in heavy stop-n-go traffic.
Hybrid display shows 5.8 miles out of 27 use of EV. Not bad almost 21.5% EV...

ACC - As I observed previously it's aggressive from stop position (Drives like lead foot driver :) ) vs. Prius is ever so gentle picking up the speed.
I am also noticing more engine kicking in vs. Prius (which feels smoother even when engine kicks in). May be after some break it might feel less harsh. It's not transmission jerk, just engine revving up and kicking in.

Break hold was very good in red light stops, in stop-n-go traffic ACC did just fine without the use of break hold.
I did notice that with MDX ACC less chance of someone cutting in while Prius is slow to get going so others do cut in... (This is in heavy stop-n-go).

I did notice that with 1 bar distance for ACC even at below 30-35 MPH it would flash break sign once in a while.
I kept at two bars at lower speed and 3 or 4 at 55+.

LKAS some time goes off for no good reason.
I had sunny day with clear markings on the highway (I was in the right most lane) and it just kept going off. Am I right to think LKAS is more effective at 40+ MPH vs. lower speeds? I know in Prius it turns it off below 30 MPH and gives the warning on the dashboard. I noticed that LKAS stays on for long stretches when going 40+ MPH.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
LKAS some time goes off for no good reason.
I had sunny day with clear markings on the highway (I was in the right most lane) and it just kept going off. Am I right to think LKAS is more effective at 40+ MPH vs. lower speeds? I know in Prius it turns it off below 30 MPH and gives the warning on the dashboard. I noticed that LKAS stays on for long stretches when going 40+ MPH.
According to the owner manual, it works between 45-90mph. But even in the lower speed, I believe the camera is still checking if you are driving off the "LANE" and will shake the steering wheel with warning message on the dash.

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and provides audible and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane while driving between 45–90 mph (72–145 km/h).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the owner manual, it works between 45-90mph. But even in the lower speed, I believe the camera is still checking if you are driving off the "LANE" and will shake the steering wheel with warning message on the dash.

Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
Provides steering input to help keep the vehicle in the middle of a detected lane and provides audible and visual alerts if the vehicle is detected drifting out of its lane while driving between 45–90 mph (72–145 km/h).
JTM thanks for the details, that makes sense. I did notice that even while LKAS solid bars are off the steering wheel does vibrate. It's odd that LKAS engages even below 45MPH just not consistently. Overall I like MDX LKAS system lot better than Prius.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Depending on how heavy the traffic, I sometimes set the ACC 5-10 mph above the average speed. If the posted speed and traffic is moving around 65 mph, I set the ACC to 70-75 mph. The ACC will accelerate faster to maintain the proper 3-5 second gap between cars if you had to slow down. I also use the paddles to downshift to accelerate even faster to close the gap between cars. The higher ACC mph setting really helps if you are in traffic that varies 5-10 mph above/below the posted mph. I don't use ACC in really heavy traffic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Call me old school, but after several road trips in my '17 I turned off the ACC mode and had it in normal cruise control mode. I just could never find that sweet spot in terms of ACC distance and what speed to set in order for it to behave properly (for me). Guess that when you drive for 45 years and get used to a certain behavior, it's hard to adapt (at least with this feature.....)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We took MDX sport on 500 mile weekend trip.
ACC worked great. LKAS worked great too (it's really good for long road trips).
I have one issue that I wanted to ask others.
Once in awhile BREAK light flashes, this was on a clear sunny day (mid day) and car in front was quite far.
Other than this issue drive was great.
Car reported 29.3 MPG with 75% highway driving (manual calculation shows 28.6 MPG)
BTW: New picture :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Nice photo. :)

Did the brake light flash when you were approaching a curb?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The warning system isn’t perfect. It is prone to occasional glitches and false warnings. I’m guessing that we all experience this sort of thing now and then.

29.3 mpg is ridiculuously good. It means that you aren’t driving it hard enough. This hybrid is for fun. Get out there and get on the acclerator pedal and see what you can do to get that gas mileage down, lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The warning system isn’t perfect. It is prone to occasional glitches and false warnings. I’m guessing that we all experience this sort of thing now and then.

29.3 mpg is ridiculuously good. It means that you aren’t driving it hard enough. This hybrid is for fun. Get out there and get on the acclerator pedal and see what you can do to get that gas mileage down, lol.
Haha! I am not a lead foot driver (that explains 29+ MPG). :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts