·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
So other of topic cool stuff... Today I visited RV6 shop, had to pickup some parts. Rich had a piston from Honda 1.5 Turbo engine laying on his table.
I could not believe what I saw, there was no oil return holes on the piston, and some kind strange machined openings on inner side of the piston.
Never seen anything like that.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
150 Posts
If I lived near Rich's shop, I'd be hanging out there all the time!😄 I already bought every single item that he sells for my year MDX from him like exhaust upgrades and my K-Tuner. Rich is a cool guy and runs an honest business. Tell him Hawaii Keith always checks his website in hopes of new upgrades that I don't already have. Really wish they would start making some high performance cams.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·

·
Registered
498 Posts
How long before the engine fails if the oil consumption is not resolved? Or just topping up will keep it alive?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
How long before the engine fails if the oil consumption is not resolved? Or just topping up will keep it alive?
Hard to tell. There will be excessive wear on pistons/piston rings, cylinder walls. Also valves could be burned.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
498 Posts
Can the repair work be done from a indy shop or best to get it done by Acura? I am not eligible for warranty claim so will get the same work done by paying Acura if I decided to keep the car longer.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Can the repair work be done from a indy shop or best to get it done by Acura? I am not eligible for warranty claim so will get the same work done by paying Acura if I decided to keep the car longer.
Either/Or. J series engine is very easy to work with. Any engine builder can do it. Did you try BG109, if you did any plausible results?

·
Registered
498 Posts
No Havent found a single mech who would do your recommended procedure :|

I did use BG MOA 115 7k miles ago, no change and it seems to be getting worse. What's funny is is that the car runs just fine infact great, like if I didn't know I would have had no reason to check oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I did use BG MOA 115 7k miles ago, no change and it seems to be getting worse. What's funny is is that the car runs just fine infact great, like if I didn't know I would have had no reason to check oil.
I put in the BG109 before an oil change, and had the dealer change the oil. I also use redline fuel cleaner. So far, no issues (yet). Just keep topping up oil whenever its below half. I think its burning slightly less now. Im due for another oil change soon so will do the same again... Fingers crossed we can keep these as long as possible. I dont think im going to get anyone to do the warranty work, ive seen so many horror stories, im afraid theyll make it worse by screwing up the engine.

Actually this reminds me. I need to do the belt! Its been almost 10 yrs and i havent done it. Should i ask to reseal the oil pump too? Anyone know?

·
Registered
498 Posts
My problem is that I need to keep topping up oil every 2k or so miles, in winter its even worse last 2 top ups were 1000-1500 miles gap :|

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·

MOA helps keep things clean ant stops oil oxidation, but will do nothing to stop oil consumption. You already way over OCI at 7k. Sorry, but pistons rings cant handle this kind OCI interval, you will just make things worse.

Go to BG website, look for the shop that performs BG procedures.
There is much more potent stuff like a BG Dynamic Engine Cleaner & Rinse Oil. Done it, works great. But it will not be cheap.
Here is a video of the procedure, they did not start with new oil filter but whatever..

·
Registered
36 Posts
My problem is that I need to keep topping up oil every 2k or so miles, in winter its even worse last 2 top ups were 1000-1500 miles gap :|
Mine was doing about 1qt per 1000 miles (dealer made up some crap about it not being enough - NJ), since the BG treatment it needs a little less but looks like I'm burning more than you! Only drive 6k miles a year so its not too bad for me. Try the BG a few times and see. Ill update again once I do another BG treatment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Go to BG website, look for the shop that performs BG procedures.
There is much more potent stuff like a BG Dynamic Engine Cleaner & Rinse Oil. Done it, works great. But it will not be cheap.
Thanks, initial check showed as if there are no shops in Canada but then I put Toronto and they sprung up. I will check with these shops, thanks

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Just wanted to add compression readings of each cylinder:

Also, to all non believers, that carbon cannot be removed from heads/valves without mechanical cleaning :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The only one place i was not able to remove carbon is a exhaust valve stem:

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
Dzionassi,

How did you clean the combustion chambers?

They look amazing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
DZ,
How did you measured the compression?
Removed the plug one at a time and plugged in the gauge and crank up the engine while the fuel injectors or fuel line are disabled?
That was how I did last time.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Dzionassi,

How did you clean the combustion chambers?

They look amazing!!!

This one is BG ISC using squid, but with Mopar CCC similar results could be achieved.
What i like about ISC, it makes carbon soft like jelly, while after Mopar carbon is more gritty.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts