Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
2011 MDX 123,000 serviced at every scheduled date at dealer. Motor is 100% Junk! Wife has 2013 TL with 52,000 babied going to see how much I can get for a trade. This is the LAST ACURA I will Purchase Ever. Period. Putting in a used motor with 21,000 miles on MDX and have zero confidence! How sad as that? Will be attending the Minneapolis Car Show this weekend just to walk over to Acura display just to speak to ANY possible window shoppers to be sure they know these automobiles are JUNK!. I have never in my life seen such dishonesty from a company from the top down. Quart of oil in a 1,000 miles is simply shocking. This company makes Junk and doesn’t stand behind their product. Half/a__s extended warranty making folks believe it is only “some” that are impacted by faulty piston/ring design. Warranty helps ONLY if your car burns more than two quarts of oil in 1,000 miles what????? Get the word out peeps to all possible shoppers to keep going down the alphabet passed "A"
You do understand, that many "modern" engines burn oil, starting German brands and finishing Toyota. Is it normal? Absolutely not. They don't make engines like they used to.
Low tension rings, smaller-lighter pistons, oil return rings with mini openings... They were chasing better fuel economy, but created more problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You stated exactly what my mechanic just showed me yesterday with rings off of my MDX POS. Design had mini opening in them versus old multi style rings that allowed you to stagger ring for each opening on piston. Prob is the rings get clogged due to that mini opening being to large and you then burn enough oil to clog the Cats. Yes this is happening to a 50,000.00 "Modern" car with 80,000 miles on it!! My "system" has been to only have one car payment at a time between wife and I then double up on payment pay it off and role for while with some extra disposal income. (Providing you take care of them well) I believe what you say now to be 100% accurate with other newer cars as well. So you now have two options: Option 1: Lease and pass these POS's to the next unsuspecting victim. Option 2: buy older in good shape and then recondition it and just consider it part of the purchase price. (rebuilt motor, shocks, brakes, trans, wheel bearings, etc.) Simply unbelievable you can't make it up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You stated exactly what my mechanic just showed me yesterday with rings off of my MDX POS. Design had mini opening in them versus old multi style rings that allowed you to stagger ring for each opening on piston. Prob is the rings get clogged due to that mini opening being to large and you then burn enough oil to clog the Cats. Yes this is happening to a 50,000.00 "Modern" car with 80,000 miles on it!! My "system" has been to only have one car payment at a time between wife and I then double up on payment pay it off and role for while with some extra disposal income. (Providing you take care of them well) I believe what you say now to be 100% accurate with other newer cars as well. So you now have two options: Option 1: Lease and pass these POS's to the next unsuspecting victim. Option 2: buy older in good shape and then recondition it and just consider it part of the purchase price. (rebuilt motor, shocks, brakes, trans, wheel bearings, etc.) Simply unbelievable you can't make it up.
Change oil every 3k miles, use only synthetic. Do NOT listen to the people, who claim, that you can drive 10k on engine oil. This is absolutely not true on these engines.
Engine flush with BG 109 every, or every other oil change will help to keep oil return rings clean. If, for some reason, you cant change oil that often, add BG MOA 115 every oil change, it helps to keep engine clean of deposits.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never believed the oil change fairy tale either and always thought it was a market gimmick and always changed it every 3,000,00 (synthetic only) Dealership argued with me each and every time that I was in early for oil change. Only burnt above 91 grade premium fuel per spec. I did not do the motor flush as that was never communicated to me by dealer or by Acura. As I mentioned I got two of these POS's in my garage so I will need to try and limp one long enough for me to be able to pay off the other car loan after I dump one of these steamy pile. Although angry I very much appreciate your advice and will follow to the letter so if you got anything else please pass it along. Pull out fuel injectors every 1,000 miles/scrub with tooth brush, replace plugs every 1,500, put a bobble head nun on the dash etc..

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
I never believed the oil change fairy tale either and always thought it was a market gimmick and always changed it every 3,000,00 (synthetic only) Dealership argued with me each and every time that I was in early for oil change. Only burnt above 91 grade premium fuel per spec. I did not do the motor flush as that was never communicated to me by dealer or by Acura. As I mentioned I got two of these POS's in my garage so I will need to try and limp one long enough for me to be able to pay off the other car loan after I dump one of these steamy pile. Although angry I very much appreciate your advice and will follow to the letter so if you got anything else please pass it along. Pull out fuel injectors every 1,000 miles/scrub with tooth brush, replace plugs every 1,500, put a bobble head nun on the dash etc..
Change oil often on your "newer" engine, do the BG 109 flush, add BG MOA, and you will be good. These engines are not that bad, they just need more attention and care. Most, of all oil consumption problem people having, is not due to mechanical failure, it is engineering failure. And in some cases, it can be reversed to it's original state.
Actually, I still consider adding TL 13-14 AWD to my fleet, if i will find one with low mileage...
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, what happened to the car that made you bring it to the service center and discover engine is gone?
Besides the fact it was burning oil like it was free I also had this very interesting smell in the car (under acceleration) that smelt similar to rotten eggs/brown paper bag burning on your front steps (after you step on it & lift foot)
Luckily another cool feature on the 2011 MDX is a cheesy plug in rear wheel well access panel that are known to fall out after they get a bit older out thus allowing fumes to come directly in the car. This additional cool feature/piece of engineering excellence actually was great because the smell of the POS motor choking me driving down the road actually saved two of three CATS from being completely clogged with oil. BTW all three OEM Cats are 1,600.00 on htis baby.. :) Can't make this up!! 46,000.00 complete hunk of crap. Wife has a 2013 TL AWD that besides the same motor voodoo I have to look forward to I am now getting on TL forums to see what additional cool engineering features this car has in store.

·
Registered
691 Posts
"KFK" Have you owned the MDX long enough to have enjoyed it or is this a pool of quicksand that you just stepped in?

Don't make a $5,000 repair, to a 9 year old car, knowing that old cars are potential money pits and you might need to spend another $5,000 next year on the drive-train?

You need to list it on Autotrader, for $9,000 quickly, because people are getting their tax refund checks and cars under $10,000 are hot right now.

When it comes time to buy another car, find a car club (like this one) before you make up your mind.

·
Registered
128 Posts
J series engines are bullet proof...Sorry you had a bad experience...I‘ve only owned Honda/Acuras and have been served very well..None of our cars gets serviced by dealerships except for warranty repairs...All maintenance done by me....

I currently have below cars running strong:
08 Honda Fit 260,000 miles
10 Honda Odyssey 160,000 miles
08 Acura MDX 160,000 miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
"KFK" Have you owned the MDX long enough to have enjoyed it or is this a pool of quicksand that you just stepped in?

Don't make a $5,000 repair, to a 9 year old car, knowing that old cars are potential money pits and you might need to spend another $5,000 next year on the drive-train?

You need to list it on Autotrader, for $9,000 quickly, because people are getting their tax refund checks and cars under $10,000 are hot right now.

When it comes time to buy another car, find a car club (like this one) before you make up your mind.
  • 2nd owner of MDX purchased with 24,000 on it.
  • There was a ton of features on the MDX that motivated my purchase as well I liked the car enough to buy another Acura that my wife liked.
  • Procured a after-market warranty on the MDX & TL after I received the bulletin from Acura these motors “might have some known problems” 2 grand insurance policy just in case.
  • After market warranty company will only pay to put in a used motor from junk yard that has lower miles then the motor in my MDX now. (Same higher mileage Junk I have now) My mechanic found a low miles motor that I paid extra 800 difference so at least I can get a couple more years out of the POS. Motor has 21000 on it.
  • Been fighting multiple dealers and Acura about my oil consumption problem prior to the extended warranty running out. They felt my quart of oil every 1,000 was perfectly acceptable/normal. I did not.
  • Appreciate your advice about reading about cars on forums before you buy them. I have thought in the past most Forums where more about the DYI’r I now see their value much differently. Hence the reason I am bashing this year make as to help some poor sucker thinking of buying a used one with thier tax return.
  • Your advice to sell and start over on my car payment book I appreciate and wish money was no object (as cars a such a great investment anyway) however I am not in that situation to reboot car payments. Due to a company that will not stand behind their product. (Hence the class action lawsuit already won and in motion against Acura for this specific motor)
  • 20/20 always being crystal clear I should have dumped both of these POS the moment I heard there was a problem. Extension of my OEM factory warranty letter gave me a false sense of security but in reality was an empty attempt to make owners feel they had coverage “if” their cars was one of the engines that had problems. (Not until you go to get warranty work do you find that in reality it is NOT covered) I should have at this point started draining oil myself during these tests however being dishonest isn’t something I normally practice. That personality trait is an expensive one. Additionally I have learned NEVER buy two cars from the manufacture in a single household. That was equally stupid on my part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
J series engines are bullet proof...Sorry you had a bad experience...I‘ve only owned Honda/Acuras and have been served very well..None of our cars gets serviced by dealerships except for warranty repairs...All maintenance done by me....

I agree the older Honda and Acura’s go forever (if taken care of) and this is why I paid a premium for the MDX and the TL (Daughter has a 2005 CRV that has 140 and runs like a dream)

Acura 3.7 2010- ? updated engines are junk due to changed/modified block/piston ring design. Blanket statements are typically false. If I recall I believe our grade school teachers explained this to us as it related to multiple choice tests.

I define “Junk” as any design fault that requires the engine to be removed from the car. Does this design brilliance specifically apply to Acura/Honda? I doubt it. But why pay a premium for reliability if they are no longer premium?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Design had mini opening in them versus old multi style rings that allowed you to stagger ring for each opening on piston. Prob is the rings get clogged due to that mini opening being to large and you then burn enough oil to clog the Cats.
Can someone explain this to me? I simply am puzzled. How can the mini opening gets clogged when they are too big?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
does you 1010 Odyssey has VCM? Have you disabled it? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can someone explain this to me? I simply am puzzled. How can the mini opening gets clogged when they are too big?
I am sure there are peeps on this site much more qualified then I to explain but I will take a swing at it. :whistle: The new oil ring design is one thicker ring all connected design instead of multiple smaller individual disconnected rings This thick single oil ring design presents a larger gap for oil to pass as you can’t stagger each ring during install making sure they are not all aligned creating a slot for oil to pass the piston. The problem is that as oil passes mixed with carbon/oil sludge it clogs this poor design (larger oil piston ring gap) quickly causing it to become clogged with contaminants thus dramatically decreasing its ability to properly seal. (Oil Burn) This brilliant engineering along with extended oil change recommendation (As factory set in your dash that tells you your oil is fine:rolleyes:) compounds the problem as folks are running dirty oil that is adding to poorly design piston ring thus compounding the problem. I suspect this piston ring design also motivated Acura to shoot out an enterprise memo to all Acura Dealers telling them to tell customers loosing a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is is 100% normal.

I will grab a pic of piston ring at the shop when I pick up my MDX and post some pics. Like you I asked the same exact question and my mechanic provided me actual comparison I could hold in my hand and see. (Correct Oil Piston Ring design versus Acura 3.7 brilliant design from my POS MDX) Farther up this thread folks are adding a 30 dollar oil flush additive to every other oil change. I would suggest if you own one of these to follow this lead and maybe you may get by. *Also ignore dealer and give him the snake eye/role when they complain you are too early for your oil change. (every 3,000 miles) Due however bring home extra free muffins for the wife and kids each and every time you have oil change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why did you not go for a 2007-2009 engine which is not known to have this problem?
Back when I bought my MDX POS this problem was not known. The first I learned about it was when Acura sent me a letter telling me they were "voluntarily" extending my motor train warranty as "some" engines are presenting "some" oil consumption issues. At this exact same time they began telling dealers quart of oil every 1,000 miles is totally normal pass the word on to anyone coming in that have oil on their hands.:ROFLMAO: My MDX began presenting appetite for the oil buffet line at about 75k.

Yes I will tell everyone at every opportunity I have (Bars, Trains, Planes, Grocery Store, Doctors Office, Traveling Door Salesman Etc.) how great Acura/Honda is as a company as well how Fabulous their automobiles are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Why did you not go for a 2007-2009 engine which is not known to have this problem?
Back when I bought my MDX POS this problem was not known. The first I learned about it was when Acura sent me a letter telling me they were "voluntarily" extending my motor train warranty as "some" engines are presenting "some" oil consumption issues. At this exact same time they began telling dealers quart of oil every 1,000 miles is totally normal pass the word on to anyone coming in that have oil on their hands.:ROFLMAO: My MDX began presenting appetite for the oil buffet line at about 75k.

Yes I will tell everyone at every opportunity I have (Bars, Trains, Planes, Grocery Store, Doctors Office, Traveling Door Salesman Etc.) how great Acura/Honda is as a company as well how Fabulous their automobiles are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you misunderstood my question, I meant the used engine(not car) that you bought after the one in your 2011 got busted.

So instead of getting a used 2010-2013, was getting 2007-2009 used engine an option?
Gotcha,

Not an option without extensive custom work. I also asked how much it would cost to simply put in updated Acura part numbers to address the problem on the new low mileage motor I put in. He ran the numbers I then I grabbed my chest and fell down. I am going to be on the 30 dollar motor flush treatment/club every 3rd oil change. I am also getting the replaced engine blessed by my clergy.

·
Registered
678 Posts
The 2010-2013 piston rings are not multiple staggered, just one thick ring?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 103 Posts