Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

121 - 140 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Always diy OC. Another reason is that I have to add 1/2 quart for every 1000 miles so my oil kind of stay fresh all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am sorry, but it is not working this way... Will not make it fresh by adding oil. Oil consumption will increase so will carbon deposits. I am sure you can find extra $20 a month for an oil change.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
instead of 10K reduce it down to like 7K max. MDX esp 2011 loves to burn oil and shear oil due to higher side loads. If you need to run oil that long use something full syn like Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5W-30.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Ok after CCC cleaning I will do 5-7k OC. I am using the m1 15k ep full synthetic with m1 ep filter

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ok after CCC cleaning I will do 5-7k OC. I am using the m1 15k ep full synthetic with m1 ep filter

Every engine builder will tell you same thing,15k OC is a Joke.Do 4k max. Decent filter will last 2 oil changes and you dont have to buy expensive oil.
If you would have 07-09 MDX I dont see any problems with 7k intervals, but not in 10-13.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Every engine builder will tell you same thing,15k OC is a Joke.Do 4k max. Decent filter will last 2 oil changes and you dont have to buy expensive oil.
If you would have 07-09 MDX I dont see any problems with 7k intervals, but not in 10-13.
Ok. I installed FUMOTO for quick OC a while back but the only messy part is removing the oil filter. Probably it’s a good idea to change the oil filter for every 2 OC with 4-5k interval.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #127 (Edited)
I have been using this oil for the past 3-4 years and 10k miles OC interval. There are so many opinions on which brand is better than other. I heard a lot of people is switching to Amazon engine oil because it’s cheap and as good as other leading brand’s.

And look these crazy high rating for Amazon oil

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
most oil sold over the counter is the same, the additive packs and durability are what differ. If you use M1 EP 15K miles, you'd certainly get 15K miles on a brand new honda/acura. With something with 100K+ miles and the way the J37 trashes oil, you'd be lucky with 10K on the EP. The oil burns off because it's breaking down. Folks with J37 using conventional or semi-syn get a lot of burning due to high side loads, shearing and the way the piston rings are. A higher quality oil that's FULL SYNTHETIC such as amsoil or Penz Ultra Plat will resist that greatly. I bought Penz Ultra Plat from walmart.com, each bottle was $22 for a 5 quart and got 4 of them. On my 4G TL after 9K miles I've burned 1/8th quart. On my 07 MDX 6K on ultra plat and I've burned about 1/3rd quart.

If you want to make oil filter cleaner during change, use a sandwich ziplock on the filter after you crack it loose, will catch oil and prevent fingers from getting greasy. Seal up ziploc and recycle at autozone.

Make sure you are using a good oil filter! Fram XG7317 from walmart about $9 works very well vs the same price for honda filter at dealer locally or M1 filter for $15. Filters down to 20 microns with 99.9% efficiency since it's synthetic media and constructed much better than regular fram filters.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you want to learn a lot about oil, additives, etc head over to bobistheoilguy forums and do a bit of reading.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
most oil sold over the counter is the same, the additive packs and durability are what differ. If you use M1 EP 15K miles, you'd certainly get 15K miles on a brand new honda/acura. With something with 100K+ miles and the way the J37 trashes oil, you'd be lucky with 10K on the EP. The oil burns off because it's breaking down. Folks with J37 using conventional or semi-syn get a lot of burning due to high side loads, shearing and the way the piston rings are. A higher quality oil that's FULL SYNTHETIC such as amsoil or Penz Ultra Plat will resist that greatly. I bought Penz Ultra Plat from walmart.com, each bottle was $22 for a 5 quart and got 4 of them. On my 4G TL after 9K miles I've burned 1/8th quart. On my 07 MDX 6K on ultra plat and I've burned about 1/3rd quart.

If you want to make oil filter cleaner during change, use a sandwich ziplock on the filter after you crack it loose, will catch oil and prevent fingers from getting greasy. Seal up ziploc and recycle at autozone.

Make sure you are using a good oil filter! Fram XG7317 from walmart about $9 works very well vs the same price for honda filter at dealer locally or M1 filter for $15. Filters down to 20 microns with 99.9% efficiency since it's synthetic media and constructed much better than regular fram filters.
Ok I will give pens ultra plat with m1 ep oil filter a try.

·
Registered
888 Posts

You can try to run oil at these intervals to a 100k miles and I can guarantee many modern engines will develop oil burning issue. Especially in engines with small oil capacity.
On top of that Honda have oil dilution problem in turbo engines, 1.5 more common than 2.0. Combine all factors: 15k oil change, low viscosity oil, fuel dilution..... Engine will not live for long.
15k oil change intervals are possible in most ideal conditions like good fuel, highway miles etc..

Lets to come back to original issue of j37 engine:
Q: Why j37 burning oil?
A: Low tension compression rings, small oil return holes/cavities and prolonged oil changes is to blame .

Q:Can be something done to reduce oil consumption?
A:Change oil more often (Do not follow maintenance meter since it is calibrated for first j37 engine generation)

Q: Is it possible to fix oil consumption in most severe cases without engine disassembly?
A: Yes, if there is no damage to the rings (usually not an issue) or engine cylinder out of round tolerance. Out of tolerance cylinder bores are the main reason owners still reporting oil loss after piston replacement. Cylinders, or block lost its original form (out of spec).

Q: So, how it can be fixed?
A:With DMSO or BG 103.

Reactions: csmeance

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Dz, do you have any good method or tool to lightly clean or scrap off carbon build on the top piston after it has been soaked. Some type of fine metal brush at the end to swipe back and forth or circular motion ?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just soak it, it will clean pretty good, you can add a can of 44k in to the tank. It will clean area of the piston where fuel is being sprayed. Opening of the spark plug is about 10mm, no brush will fit. I have seen people trying to clean it with the drill and T form nylon straw, but I would not mess with it.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Just soak it, it will clean pretty good, you can add a can of 44k in to the tank. It will clean area of the piston where fuel is being sprayed. Opening of the spark plug is about 10mm, no brush will fit. I have seen people trying to clean it with the drill and T form nylon straw, but I would not mess with it.
Ok. More question if you don’t mind. I want to soak it for 24 hours. Is there any harmful or benefit for soaking too long. Does this solvent edging away metal and/or weaken the piston ring if let it soaks too long?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Where you find this information about ring damage? It was used for years and i have yet to see any damage reports. No it will not damage rings.
All you have to worry is a carbon by it self. Try to remove as much as possible, because it can clog cats.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Mobil 1 EP is not top of the line anymore though, That will be the new "Annual Protection".

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Where you find this information about ring damage? It was used for years and i have yet to see any damage reports. No it will not damage rings.
All you have to worry is a carbon by it self. Try to remove as much as possible, because it can clog cats.
You didn’t answer my other question.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I am going to use this bicycle pump to pump and agitate or move the brake cleaner around inside the cylinder after I fill with brake cleaner and then use the extractor to suck it out.

121 - 140 of 220 Posts