Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I know why. I have been driving 8-10 hours a day and the engine on/off about 20-50 times.
I had to lightly pressed on the gas for the first 2-3 minutes after starting the car and let the ECU doing the engine knock timing correction and the pings went away.

So basically if I drive a LOT and do a LOT of starts and stops I will have engine pings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
This is what I used to do with my hot rods to prevent pinging when driving for long periods. Carry around a hudson pump filled with water and spray the front of the radiator through the ac condenser every few stops. If you stop at gas stations then use the water hose and blast the front. It will only take you 20 seconds with a pressurized hudson pump then while driving, the evaporating water on the radiator and condenser will help drop the engine temperature which will then help stop the pinging. Pinging under no load is usually caused by excessive heat which causes detonation. I assume you are already using at least a 92 octane.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
look into a snow performance meth injection kit for when you have heat-soak issues. ALso look at acurazine's ultimate cooling mod for the TL guys. Forced Induction guys use it a lot to lower intake temps to help cool the air temps, bmw uses similar water injection on GTS. No wonder your starter went out so fast with 20-50 starts a day.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
look into a snow performance meth injection kit for when you have heat-soak issues. ALso look at acurazine's ultimate cooling mod for the TL guys. Forced Induction guys use it a lot to lower intake temps to help cool the air temps, bmw uses similar water injection on GTS. No wonder your starter went out so fast with 20-50 starts a day.
Yeah that’s why I rebuild my old starter. Is it you recommended a new solenoid from Acura?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is what I used to do with my hot rods to prevent pinging when driving for long periods. Carry around a hudson pump filled with water and spray the front of the radiator through the ac condenser every few stops. If you stop at gas stations then use the water hose and blast the front. It will only take you 20 seconds with a pressurized hudson pump then while driving, the evaporating water on the radiator and condenser will help drop the engine temperature which will then help stop the pinging. Pinging under no load is usually caused by excessive heat which causes detonation. I assume you are already using at least a 92 octane.
Always use 93 octane gas.
I think you maybe right it is heat related issue.
When I had the car parked with engine off over 45 minutes or so after a driving for a long period there is no engine pings when I started the car and drove off again. But if I shut off the engine and started the car and drove off again within 10-15 minutes after a long period of driving I have engine pings.

This is all come to make sense. I thought the oil passing through the piston ring was making these engine pings. Now I need to test your water spraying method and will find out installing intercooler for a better solution if it works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Definitely! I am pretty sure there are tons of intercooler kits out there to chose from.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what is the easiest way to mod your engine running cooler without a lot of work and spending a lot of money?

·
Registered
859 Posts
So what is the easiest way to mod your engine running cooler without a lot of work and spending a lot of money?

Like i said before, take care of your combustion chamber. There will be problems with high compression engines and carbon.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you have solved my mysterious engine pings. The whether is in the 67F and it is raining all day and I drive all day long with a lot of stops and starts. And I do not hear a single engine ping!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
like I mentioned earlier the Acura TL ultimate cooling mod or meth injection in small amounts when pinging occurs. Snow performance kits have stood the test of time; know 2 people with kits that are close to a decade old.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like I mentioned earlier the Acura TL ultimate cooling mod or meth injection in small amounts when pinging occurs. Snow performance kits have stood the test of time; know 2 people with kits that are close to a decade old.
Are these kits involved engine tears down or changing the manifold part

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
You are still using the MDX for Uber? I would have added an Engine oil cooler and radiator sprayer by now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you using the OEM spark plugs and 91 octane?

You might be able to find a lower temp thermostat. Or wait a couple weeks until it's fall and your car will likely run cooler because of ambient temps.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You are still using the MDX for Uber? I would have added an Engine oil cooler and radiator sprayer by now.
Yes but doing uber eat and doordash instead. I don’t want to picking up any more people. Are there such thing. Can you give me a link?

I thought this car came with engine oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you using the OEM spark plugs and 91 octane?

You might be able to find a lower temp thermostat. Or wait a couple weeks until it's fall and your car will likely run cooler because of ambient temps.
Yes OEM plugs and 93 octane. Yeah winter is coming which is I am looking forward to not for me but for the X.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just read about the water/methane injection reviews and if you don’t monitor your level of methane level regularly you could blow up your engine. And it costs money to buy methane. Too much hassle and troublesome.

What about feeding cool air from inside of the car to the intake when you turn on the AC in the summer? I know it’s crazy idea !

And what about keeping the fans running all the time?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Are these kits involved engine tears down or changing the manifold part

Just add a small spray nozzle before the Throttle body with a little hole or buy P2R spacer which has a hole in it.

I just read about the water/methane injection reviews and if you don’t monitor your level of methane level regularly you could blow up your engine. And it costs money to buy methane. Too much hassle and troublesome.

What about feeding cool air from inside of the car to the intake when you turn on the AC in the summer? I know it’s crazy idea !

And what about keeping the fans running all the time?

Fans running all the time won't help much. Use distilled water vs meth and it will still help. Make sure the flow is low so you don't hydrolock the engine. A/C dumps heat into the engine bay so you won't have any benefit prob make issues worse.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks, CS. I will probably looking into a radiator sprayer which is much safer and cheaper alternative. The only problem is calcium and minerals buildup on the radiator fins and fan.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Reactions: Modded11MDX
1 - 20 of 158 Posts