Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
598 Posts
I don't see a problem with the color. Oils have detergents to keep the engine cleaned.

Is this your first full synthetic oil change?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Mine has done this from day 1. For whatever reason this engine kicks out black oil. Color really isn't an indicator of anything according to what research I've done and my oil samples have always come back excellent.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
A quote from a guy at Acurazine.com about Mobil 1 oils in your same thread there:

Keep in mind, it is widely know/reported on BobIsTheOilGuy.com that Mobil uses an additive package in Mobil 1 which darkens with heat; even in a brand new engine Mobil 1 will darken within a few thousand miles and will be full black after 7,500 miles. Said another way, this phenomena has nothing to do with the oil being dirty or exhausted.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Mobil 1 is known to turn dark relatively quickly. Don't worry about it -- it's fantastic oil.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mobil 1 is known to turn dark relatively quickly. Don't worry about it -- it's fantastic oil.
It’s not the M1. Our 2010 X has turned all oil black in less than 2k miles. At first I thought it was just the FF with high moly. But same with Pennzoil, Castrol and Havoline dino and M1 EP. for some reason this engine turns oil black along with consuming oil. Our X burns about 1 qt per 4K. Hopefully it will not get worse. Have owned many Toyota and Lexus vehicles over the years and none burned a drop or turned oil black.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s not the M1. Our 2010 X has turned all oil black in less than 2k miles. At first I thought it was just the FF with high moly. But same with Pennzoil, Castrol and Havoline dino and M1 EP. for some reason this engine turns oil black along with consuming oil. Our X burns about 1 qt per 4K. Hopefully it will not get worse. Have owned many Toyota and Lexus vehicles over the years and none burned a drop or turned oil black.

My car used to burn oil too and when I change my spark plugs to NGK IRIDIUM consumes VERY little, like 1/4 quart every 5k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
You're right. My 11' MDX turns oil black in a hurry regardless of brand. This engine breaks down oil rapidly. After an oil change, the car can go up to 1600 miles at 1/2 quart loss. After topping off, the car can go about 900 miles at 1/2 quart loss. After topping off, the car can go about 800 miles at 1/2 quart loss. The oil loss is progressively lower as oil is getting darker. By 3000 miles mark, the oil is completely black. For this reason, I change oil about 3500-4500 miles mark. There is no sense to keep topping off.

The last Blackstone report didn't show any problems. I will be sending off Mobil 5w-30 AP to Blackstone for a complete analysis.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Oil color does not indicate oil lifespan...
Taxi fleets change their oil when its pitch black and they see 500,000 mile use on the same engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts