Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Just curious to see what the outcome has been. Any updates to resolution?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update ...

Well, with the help of someone on the board, we determined that it wasn't painted at the dealer, and that there's no place to paint it enroute. I can only surmise that it must have been re-painted at the factory. Not sure it matters though - the door doesn't match either way.

The intermittent clunking noise coming from the same door wasn't clunking the day I brought it in, so the dealer said there was nothing they could do about it. Trust me - it's a LOUD clunking that makes noise over every road imperfection when it's happening.

Moisture on the inside of the window? They had never heard of this problem, and there was no fix. So every time it rains or I wash my car and I bring the window down, I have to live with moisture on the inside that I have to take windex and paper towels to.

My plan of action at this point is to try to get them to buy the car back. And quite honestly, I will probably not want another one. I'm not impressed with this vehicle for $40k.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Too bad...

Markedoc said:
...the dealer said there was nothing they could do about it. Trust me - it's a LOUD clunking that makes noise over every road imperfection when it's happening.

Moisture on the inside of the window? They had never heard of this problem, and there was no fix. So every time it rains or I wash my car and I bring the window down, I have to live with moisture on the inside that I have to take windex and paper towels to.

My plan of action at this point is to try to get them to buy the car back. And quite honestly, I will probably not want another one. I'm not impressed with this vehicle for $40k.
hmm... notice somthing here? Yep, DEALER has ALOT to do with customer sat!

Here's a few comments I pulled from edmunds responses about Lexus G3 430--

Monday, January 28, 2002
Extremely Poor By Gene

Review: Out of all the cars on the road today, you would think that Lexus would put out a car like the ones from years past. The new GS430 has been nothing but problems for me. From having to buy a new set of tires for the car within 8,000 miles because of poor quality and noise and having to replace the brakes with TRD brakes because of noise. These are the types of issues that you do not see in other cars of less price. It actually amazes me that no one at Lexus has actually driven this car. The Audi and the BMW are a much better car and buy. Hope those have more luck with Lexus than I have. I know that I will personally never purchase anything from Toyota again. The best buy for the money is Honda and I think always will be. At least they care about you when you have a problem.

Monday, October 22, 2001
Westside Lexus Houston - Review By swordfish

Review: Other than the rattles and wheel aligment problems in this $50K car, the service from Westside Lexus in Houston is the extremely poor. If you are in the market for a Lexus, I strongly advise to avoid this dealership. The management (Micky Batson) and sales (Neil Potter) personify the slimy used car saleman. The service department is incompetent and impersonal. They will tell you what you want to hear until that financing is final. Stand by for more.

I'n sure I can find lots of such comments about ANY vehicle, tha't not my point.

What I'd like to get across is that ONLY when DEALERS see "unhappy" owners as an OPPORTUNITY TO BEND OVER BACKWARDS & IMPRESS THE HE|_ |_ out of customers will that brand be recognized as SUPER!
The factory HAS to have a policy of making dealers "whole" for anything they toss at unhappy customers.

THe simple matter is that when the DEALERS are making 4K+ per MDX & the facotry is rolling in dough they BOTH ought to do whatever it takes to put :D :D :D on ALL the customers or else the 'unhappy' customer becomes "disgusted former owner"...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Markedoc...

Sorry to hear you're thinking about unloading it -- I thought you were pretty happy w/the truck (aside from the paint issue). Tho I don't see why the dealer wouldn't just pop the door panel to see what *might* be rattling in there; it only takes a few minutes to do so. I get the same schtick from the Lexus dealer...headliner pops on hot days. Schedule the appt, the day ends up being cool, they complete the $500 scheduled maintenance but "can't duplicate" the popping headliner. There's a friggin' TSB for it -- take my word for it, wouldja :3:

Back to you: I think you're gonna take a bath if you give it back -- hope not, of course. Are you really that unhappy? Maybe you could squeeze some accessories or free service from them...but I'd definitely get it repainted, too.

Let us know what happens...!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Worm -

I won't unload it if I have to take a financial hit. I'm talking about a fair deal as suggested earlier, where I pay for mileage used.

I certainly don't want to pay full boat for a car with mis-matched body paint. And you're right - it's annoying that the dealer wouldn't look at it - trust me, it's an extremely annoying loud, heavy rattle/thunk. The dealer is 30 mins away - not right around the corner, which is why I endured the rattle until the 3750 mile check-up.

I am very happy with the utility of the vehicle, but if it were just utility I was looking for, I could have bought an Oddysey. Things I am dissapointed about are:

1) The windows that get wet on the inside any time I roll them down when the car is wet. Water marks on the inside of the windows - every time. No fix? You must be kidding me.

2) More road noise than I think a $40k vehicle should have. maybe it's just me, but my vehicle is not quiet on the road. Maybe all SUV's are like this, I don't know.

3) The sun roof makes so much noise that it's almost useless above 40 mph. I've had many vehicles with sunroofs, none of them any where near this noisy - most perfectly fine at highway speeds.

4) Want fresh air out of the vents? Nope.

5) I'll never get used to having the switch for the sunroof at my left knee. It belongs near where the eyeglass holder is.

6) Shift gate from hell.

7) Why do I have to have the NAV on to see what time it is? Put the damned clock on the dash - somewhere.

8) The fan switch - to get from setting "2" to setting "1" I have to go to 3, 4, and 5?

9) I might be the only one that fumbles with the wiper stalk - every time I use it.

That's all I can think of. Obviously this is a popular vehicle - witness the extensive wait list (still). Maybe the door mismatch, wet windows, and re-curring thunk has me ticked off. I'm just a little dissapointed in this vehicle at the moment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
TSB for clunking noise, etc.

The clunking noise you hear has been talked about extensively in the past, and Acura has actually put out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to repair it. If it is the same problem that alot of others have had, including myself, it involves a few suspension bolts. I had the same issue, over unusual bumps, or when accelerating hard or braking hard, I would get a very loud thunk/clunk/THUD from the driver's side near the dead pedal, mine was so bad you could actually feel it. Not sure if it's the same problem you're having? In the latest issue of Car and Driver, they have a progress report on their long-term MDX and they even note how they had the THUD, and had it fixed.

As for the water on the inside of the window, you're not alone there either, I don't know if they have a fix for that yet.

The clock, I totally agree, I think they got cheap, and figured since the NAV has to have a built in clock for ETA's etc., they said we'll just use that one.

A loud moonroof, I don't have that problem, but others have said they've had a noise issue with it and have found there were adjustment clips or something that were pushing up the front portion of the moonroof, and when they removed these clips? (I never did find them), it lowered the front of the moonroof a little and I assume this made it more flush with the roof so wind could flow more easily over the roof.

Road noise, I think it is a Honda trait, very bad in Accords.

As for the dealer, I hope you can work something out with them. Fortunately for me, I've had a very good experience with my dealer here in San Diego, they've always fixed anything I've complained about. Despite all the problems, mostly little nuisances that were fixed, I still think the MDX is the best deal out there. I kinda expected to encounter some problems, because I got one of the earliest ones (picked mine up in Dec of 2000).

Hey, at least you didn't buy a BMW 540i for around $60k (a friend of a friend) and have nothing but continuous engine problems! My friend feels pretty bad because he recommended getting the 540i over the smaller engined ones.

Anyways, keep us updated, I hope you come to an acceptable/happy resolution.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Clunking noise

No, the clunking noise you refer to is a separate problem, which I have but forgot to complain about! I know that clunk - it's almost a metal on metal clunk. What I was referring to in my previous post is something loose in the passenger rear door (the one that doesn't match). Sounds like the window is moving.

My moonroof isn't bad when closed - just too loud when it's tipped open and I'm going more than 40 mph.

My previous car was a 540i that I bought with 5k miles on it. Had it for 3 years and had zero problems, and it was my 3rd BMW. Bought the Acura since I had to have something with more capacicty. I'm looking to replace the MDX with a 1999 740i Sport with a CPO to 100k miles, which should be able to be had for less than $40k.

·
Registered
84 Posts
follow up...

Geez, you're the first I've heard with a problem with a loose door/window problem and that associated with the paint issue, makes you think maybe they're connected. :(

About the moonroof, maybe a moonroof visor would help? Anybody have success with that?, I know some have bought it and then taken it off because it makes some noise when the roof's closed.

As for your 540i, that's good to hear!, my wife's been eyeing a 530i, and I've had reservations, considering conflicting reports from various people/sources about BMW reliability and the costs to repair. I guess with any make, there can be some 'bad apples'.

Good Luck, with whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Tell her to go for the 530i. For an unbiased report, see Consumer Reports. They recommend the car, reliabiility rated better than average, and said the BMW 530i is the best car they have EVER tested.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree, my wife's 530i is expected to be here within two weeks. We (she) did a lot of research and compared to many other cars. None could top the 530i.

We have had no problems with our 3 month old MDX, and can only hope for a similar fate with the BMW. ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts