Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is 12 F deg out side and when I started the car it didn’t start , no cranking noise just silenced and CHECK STARTER SYSTEM. Check battery and it is 10.9V. Sounds like a battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's low. Pretty much anything below 12v is discharged.
But my all my lights and accessories are still working. It could be the starter solenoid got stuck in the cold weather plus not enough cranking power from the battery? Should I replace the battery first? And what is the interstate battery model?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did you try jumpstarting? I had similar issues last year and almost changed my battery but it was just the extreme cold. Bought a Jump Starter with battery pack from Costco, problem solved :)

Like this one

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you try jumpstarting? I had similar issues last year and almost changed my battery but it was just the extreme cold. Bought a Jump Starter with battery pack from Costco, problem solved :)

Like this one

I can’t tell if the battery or starter motor/solenoid getting stuck when cold. I called tow truck and he connected a jumpstart from his portable jumpstarter and I still can’t get it to start. He removed the jump cables and told me it probably the starter solenoid get stuck and he left. After after he left I kept turning the key and finally the car started with a little struggle in the beginning. So I don’t what is going on. I am leaning toward bad starting motor.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Battery should be 12.3+ when the engine is not running. 11V is pretty much dead. When was the last time you changed it? Get it recharged and load test it to make sure it's still ok.
Actually the 10.9v reading was on my OBDII scanner but it was actually 12.44v when I used a voltmeter at the battery terminals. I hate to say it but I may have to order denso starter from rockauto $185

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe wait till warmer weather, that might ease those cold weather blues. With luv & a block heater from -30C Calgary.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Under load, if voltage falls below 10.4v, battery has to be replaced. Without load, a good battery should read above 12V...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This morning the temp was 16F and before I started the car I measured the voltage with a voltmeter and it was 12.52 v and the started without any problem. The morning before I believe the voltage would be the same and the starter solenoid didn’t even click. Had the battery check at Advance Auto and it is like new. It comes down to intermittent starter performance in cold weather.

The battery was replaced on 5/2018 and this is the battery

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is starting well in 6F too and its not a new battery either.

Is this before or after you ran the car with dip stick open?
Before the unplugging the dipstick. I plugged back the dipstick and the fuel trims seem to be running lower than it was unplugged.

This morning it was 17F and before I started I measured the battery at the terminals and it was 12.45 v and the 11.75 v at the cigarette lighter socket (key at I) and the car started just fine. I think I have intermittent sticking starter solenoid.

Do they just sale the solenoid kits only?
Is it possible to remove just the solenoid only without having to remove the whole starter?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After searching online I think this is my problem (hopefully). I have the WIFI OBDII connected/ plugged all the time and it may have drained my battery overnight. I never had CHECK STARTING SYSTEM prior plugging the OBDII.

·
Registered
223 Posts
How long have you had the OBD II dongel? If its been there for long why would it drain now?

Does the port get any charge when key is out? I had a HUD connected to the port and it switched off after few seconds of swicthing the car off, so I am not sure it draws any power when the ignition is not on.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How long have you had the OBD II dongel? If its been there for long why would it drain now?

Does the port get any charge when key is out? I had a HUD connected to the port and it switched off after few seconds of swicthing the car off, so I am not sure it draws any power when the ignition is not on.
Recently the temperature dipped in the teens and with the battery drain from the OBDII made
It worst.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I measured the battery voltage first thing in the morning before started the car with and without OBDII plugged in overnight:

12.44 v (12 deg F) OBDII plugged in overnight

12.60 v (20 deg F) OBDII unplugged overnight

Looks like OBDII causes a battery drain at this point. Fingers crossed it is the OBDII is the culprit for CHECK STARTING SYSTEM.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts