Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '03 Sandstone Tour/Nav, and installed my Running Boards and BSM's myself, so I thought I'd document the BSM Installation process in case it might help someone else.

I searched the internet and found the installation instructions here:

I decided to use black electrical tape, because it is easy to reposition it. Just be sure to fold a flap in it, because if you have to work at getting it loose, it will leave some residue. Otherwise, it comes off clean. I wiped down my doors with a lint free cloth to make sure that the area was free of any particles that would end up under the BSM.

To install the template, I keyed off of the door handles. I put black tape on one side of a 3 foot level (to protect the paint), and used it as a straight edge to align the front and rear door templates.

Here's my template installation:

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BSM Placement

After the templates are in place and aligned, wipe down the area the BSM will adhere to with a cotton ball and some isopropyl alcohol.

I peeled back a couple of inches of the backing material on each side (red). The instructions say 5 inches on each side, but that seemed like too much to me. You will probably need a knife or a razor blade to do this - that backing is on there good!

I put the BSMs in place, with light pressure on each end, while aligning it with the template. It takes light pressure to make them stay, but don't press too hard, or you won't be able to reposition them very easily.

The BSMs were more flexible than I thought they would be, and will sag if you aren't careful. That's why I temporarily taped them w/black tape in the middle.

Use the straight edge to make sure that they are taped in the correct position.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2MM Gap

Here's the gap I left between the ends of the BSMs and the door edges. The instructions say 2MM. I probably have 3-4MM. If you place them too close to the edge, there is a chance that the rear door moulding will interfere with the front door.

Open the rear door to check the clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peel the backing....

While holding the BSM lightly in place, pull the ends of the backing to remove it. Be sure and go slowly, and make sure that the BSM stays aligned with the template while you are doing this. Double check it with your straight edge.

After you have the backing off of both pieces, check the alignment again, making sure that the front is aligned with the rear.

Then you can remove the template and give the BSM a good rub to make sure it is well adhered.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
mystic,

Excellent instructions and pictures on the BSM installation. Good idea using electrical tape to hold the templates. I used masking tape and it kept peeling off. Also, I like the gap you used for the BSM between the front and rear doors. If the BSM's are placed too close together, you will have trouble when you open the rear door. If I had your set of instructions when I installed my BSM's, the job would have gone easier.:29:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EXCALIBUR,

Thanks.

I would have put mine too close together too, if I hadn't found those directions on the web. I don't know why those directions are so hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Mystic:

___Great install … Just one item to add. Tim of Hondacuraworld.com fame not only sells the MDX accessories for less but also has links to Acura pdf accessory install documents as well!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
xcel said:
Hi Mystic:

___Great install … Just one item to add. Tim of Hondacuraworld.com fame not only sells the MDX accessories for less but also has links to Acura pdf accessory install documents as well!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]
I actually did BUY my BSMs from Tim, but he didn't have the instructions available, so I got the instructions from the site I posted.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Excellent instructions -- I vote for this thread to be preserved for all those who come later and want to know the right way to do this installation. More of us should spend the time to take digital photos as we go along!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Great Pics. and instructions. Has anyone tried opening up different size doors into the MDX w/ the BSM on it. I assume the BSM will stop the doors from most car models (compact, mid-size, full-size), but am unsure as to whether it will stop the doors from other SUV's or trucks from hitting the door area (above the BSM)? Any thoughts/experiences with other vehicle doors and likelihood of protecting against door dings from same size or larger vehicles than the MDX itself ?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Mystic and All:

___For the HONDACURAWORLD MDX Accessory install links, go to HONDACURAWORLD --> (scroll to the bottom of the page) Installation Instructions --> Acura MDX and your set! The only glitch is that I don’t see the BSM’s anymore :(

___Good Luck and enjoy the MDX installs ;)

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___[email protected]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Mystic,
Your install came out beautiful. Great job your X looks fantastic.

Hey JimH,
I was considering BSM. I've got a Black 01 X and never had a dent or ding. Then just last week a ding. The BSM would not have helped me it was on my driver door a couple of inches to the left of the handle. Oh, it hurt to see that after 68k without incident.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
OK, I'm sold, I'm buying a set from tim. . . nice install!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the link for the installation guide. The .pdfs are clearer than some others I've seen, and they load faster. It appears that there are a lot of guides available for future reference. My BSM was ordered from Tim last week, and I can't wait to get them. Your pictures and install advice are going to make them a lot easier to put on. Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
How cold can it be to install these BSM's?
I have an 03 coming in 2 wks. Appx 30 deg in my garage in dec.

Will they stick? should I try to get to a heated garage?

Thanks
Stbentoak

Also Dealer wants to deliver my vehicle 100 miles to my home.
Should I let him or get it there to look it over good before delivery?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
stbentoak said:
How cold can it be to install these BSM's?
I have an 03 coming in 2 wks. Appx 30 deg in my garage in dec.

Will they stick? should I try to get to a heated garage?

Thanks
Stbentoak

Also Dealer wants to deliver my vehicle 100 miles to my home.
Should I let him or get it there to look it over good before delivery?
If I remember correctly, the directions say 60 deg. F minimum to install the BSMs. I don't think I'd try at 30.

Dunno about delivery. Personally, I want to put the first 100 miles on my X, so, if they want to trailer it to me, and I can still refuse delivery for some flaw, I'd probably do it. Otherwise, I'd go get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts