Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Equipped with the DM-V2, so far I have only a few sliding situation when stopping or turning. One time the ABS kicked in when I was stopping at a stop sign. It did stop okay and not sliding out. After that, I tend to be slow like driving other cars and tend to think the heavier weight requires more force to stop and thus the potentially longer distance.

Twice the car felt losing control when turning. I turned by slowing down with the brake and turn. However knowning the SH-AWD ties to the gas pedal, i tried to gain control by using the gas pedal instead of the gas.

I feel more confident driving in S mode when there's snow on the ground too.

Overall, i experience less slipping than other cars that I've driven. I had no problem from stop to start during snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the snow I tried drifting my car around corners but with traction control on I didn't slip at all. I had to be hard pressed to even get any fishtailing at all. But with traction control off this car was still easy to handle around corners with full throttle.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What kind of tires did they put on your '17? Tires are at least as important as the type of car when it comes to stopping in the snow.
i concur. tires are an important piece to one's driving experience.

EDIT: there's actually a tire sale going on right now at Discount Tire Direct.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of tires did they put on your '17? Tires are at least as important as the type of car when it comes to stopping in the snow.
I put on Bridgestone DM-V2. The car seems to be okay now, probably after I get more familiar with it as well as it has gone through more break-ins

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's end of Dec-2017 in Calgary, AB. This is my 1st winter with the Beast (2011 MDX with snow tires). I've had fwd cars for the last number of years. I find when there is snow on the ground, the beast, even with snows, tends to plow wide through the corners. The rwd (& weight?) tends to push harder than the fwd can pull it around. I had expected
or hoped it would have more fwd pull in the snow. So knowing that I will be going more slowly into turns to ensure I don't get pushed too wide. So, like others have said, limited fishtail / drifting in the snow. I was looking forward to some intentional parking lot fishtailing =:( - Happy winter!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts