Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Generally speaking - after the alignment has been confirmed, the suspension has been checked, and the tires have been ruled out, pull to one side or the other then is either a brake (dragging) or bearing issue. That's what I'd check next. One way to check is to feel both the right and left front wheels and see if one is warmer than the other after driving for several miles. The warmer side would show either a bearing getting too hot or a brake pad dragging....

·
Registered
22 Posts
After alignment today the car is still pulling to the right :(
Generally speaking - after the alignment has been confirmed, the suspension has been checked, and the tires have been ruled out, pull to one side or the other then is either a brake (dragging) or bearing issue. That's what I'd check next. One way to check is to feel both the right and left front wheels and see if one is warmer than the other after driving for several miles. The warmer side would show either a bearing getting too hot or a brake pad dragging....
Thanks for the insight. I will post updates when i get more info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took car to dealer today, they rechecked alignment from last week, still okay. Swapped tires from a different MDX, I test drove it, definitely an improvement but still drifting right, street and highway speeds. They told me they checked brakes for dragging, no issue found. Said they did not see any damage to suspension or axle. I then asked to test drive another MDX, and I felt the same bad pull to the right! even the tech said it was definitely not normal. Am I going crazy?

They then put brand new BF Goodrich tires on (last tires were off brand). I test drove it and I feel it still has an abnormal pull.

At this point, I’m going to take it to another dealer for yet another look. What other remedy is available if neither dealer can pin point the issue? Contact Acura corporate? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was told the same thing. The dealer swapped name brand new tires (BF goodrich) and still pulls. Please provide an update if you do change tires. Haven’t had chance to take back to second dealer for more follow up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got the same pulling right even after alignment on my 2014. Mechanic said " you can't" do something with an Acura to fully correct.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Get in a center lane on the freeway with no one around you. Center the car in the lane and let the wheel go while you loosely keep your hands near it in case of an emergency. Count the number of seconds it takes for the car to change lanes. Acura has a published spec for this. If it takes 15 - 20 seconds to change lanes they aren't going to do anything but if it take 2 or 3 seconds they will probably find the problem. One thing you need to be aware of is that roads have a crown because they need water to run off them. Often this crown is to the right. That means the car will follow the crown in the road to the right. Another thing you can do is very lightly brake and see if just touching the brakes ever so lightly causes the pull to change. This could be an indication that the brakes are involved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a link or reference for the published specs? I’ve road tested the car on almost on street, highway, and parking lots. Even in the center lane it will pull to the right, in about 2-3 seconds ill be in the next lane. 15-20 seconds I would agree it could be road crown.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Do you have a link or reference for the published specs? I’ve road tested the car on almost on street, highway, and parking lots. Even in the center lane it will pull to the right, in about 2-3 seconds ill be in the next lane. 15-20 seconds I would agree it could be road crown.
Call the dealer and ask for your service underwriter. Tell him it is hard to keep it in the lane. It is unsafe to drive and will cross out of the freeway lane in 2 -3 seconds. That is not normal. Do the brake test I suggested, you can also use an infrared temperature probe to compare temps between sides. They should be close to the same if the brakes are working evenly. Have the tire shop move the tires front to back or side to side and see it the pulling changes.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The guy or gal who writes up the service order when you drop your car off. They are your liaison to the service technicians. When you call them they will take your phone number and talk with the technician who did the work, then call you back with what they want to do. If you don't hear what you want to hear then ask them to speak with the service manager. A car that changes lanes in 2 - 3 seconds is not a safe car to drive. Had you said 7 to 10 seconds that would be more typical of a mild pull. You have a strong pull which is not normal.

I highly suggest you also have your local tire shop rotate the tires to be sure you don't have a defective tire regardless what anyone else tells you they have checked. The pull can be brakes, steering/suspension related, or tire related.

Suspension means steering apparatus and linkage, chassis of the car being straight, front AND REAR wheels being in proper alignment. They should be able to pull up all records on that car since it was first sold. If not they can call the dealer who last had it for the records to see if the prior owner had a pulling issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 pulled to the right from the day I bought it new. Checked alignment and cross swapped the tires, no change. Have your dealer perform an ABS/VSA all sensor clear and EPS ( electric power steering ) torque sensor recalibration. Fixed mine.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts