Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quick update, changed oil again. 3 month and 3735 miles on it, lost about 0.5 qt., probably due to oil filter housing gasket leak, don't have any drops of oil in the parking spot but oil around oil pan area.

There is one problem though, the noise returned ! Lifters again?! Damn it, before the repair it was quiet, and now sounds like a diesel. :mad

Back to the dealer it goes. :sad

·
Registered
67 Posts
Although the dual vtec heads (j37a2 or j37a4) would be a good little factory upgrade and a direct bolt on for our mdxs.
Tell me more about this, J37A2 is from RL engine, J37A4 is from TL-SH? is it really a direct bolt on or do I need an Oil Pump and any other related upgrades?

Tnx

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Quick update, changed oil again. 3 month and 3735 miles on it, lost about 0.5 qt., probably due to oil filter housing gasket leak, don't have any drops of oil in the parking spot but oil around oil pan area.

There is one problem though, the noise returned ! Lifters again?! Damn it, before the repair it was quiet, and now sounds like a diesel. :mad

Back to the dealer it goes. :sad
Can you record the sound of the noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can you record the sound of the noise?

It's a typical valve noise. I thought I just need them readjusted again as I've read that it's kinda difficult to have them adjusted properly and may need a few tries.

My SA tells me I need new camshafts, this BS started immediately AFTER they took apart my engine for the Oil Consumption repair (they did piston/rings, TB, AND .... valve adjustment). They told me they did not tighten the lifters and need them re-tightened once again few weeks after the repair, but it came back and now louder then before.

They say it's unrelated to Oil Consumption and I highly doubt it because (at least on a BMW) cam lobes do not get high wear unless they are 1) defective or 2) engine starved on oil due to worn out oil rings (common on an M54 engine)

I am beyond furious. Have a case open with Acura, will see what they say.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just an update. Acura gave me a NO on camshaft replacement. Since i have done a bit of research on this, a lot of J37 community members have same issue with camshafts, in some cases Acura approves the repair as it's related to oil consumption, there is at least one documented case of Acura approving this right after the oil consumption repair exists on acurazine board. They do not want to accept this is a wide spread issue related to a junk J37 engine they produced so people will sooner or later have to shell out their hard earned money into this [email protected] up car. Advice, sell this POS and run away!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Just an update. Acura gave me a NO on camshaft replacement. Since i have done a bit of research on this, a lot of J37 community members have same issue with camshafts, in some cases Acura approves the repair as it's related to oil consumption, there is at least one documented case of Acura approving this right after the oil consumption repair exists on acurazine board. They do not want to accept this is a wide spread issue related to a junk J37 engine they produced so people will sooner or later have to shell out their hard earned money into this [email protected] up car. Advice, sell this POS and run away!
I replaced the front camshaft myself. Here is my bad camshaft caused by low oil due to excessive oil consumption that I didn’t know about. Found this out while I was doing valves adjustment.. I had a thread on this forum for this fix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I replaced the front camshaft myself. Here is my bad camshaft caused by low oil due to excessive oil consumption that I didn’t know about. Found this out while I was doing valves adjustment.. I had a thread on this forum for this fix.

Daaaamn,

if I find time and courage to do this myself, I am pretty handy but have never done anything above TB change, I will post mine here. This shitty old car drives me nuts, one issue after another.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts