Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2012 Acura MDX technology package . I use to love this car. Currently I have 100.000 k on it . I have been taking care of this car with white gloves. Recently my wife was on her way home with our baby and the car suddenly started shaking and engine was underpowered . Finally we got the car to the shop with check engine light on VSA light on and Who knows what else on . The Mechanic told me that they did compression test on the pistons and they are holding only 120 psi ( wet or dry ) Test . They told me that my engine has worn pistons and O ring. And acura won’t take care of their recall. This car is garbage # lemon. I won’t buy another ACURA ever again.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
They told me that my engine has worn pistons and O ring.
Looks like you had the oil consumption issue which led to damage because it was left untreated.

And acura won’t take care of their recall.
The recall is not for destroyed engine. It's for the oil consumption issue. You should have made sure the oil was not burning and made it to Acura for the test.

This car is garbage # lemon. I won’t buy another ACURA ever again.
Of course, that's your right. I don't know if you have a lemon law case, but with this happen at 100K I would definitely try claiming this with Acura in order to get the new engine. Good luck!

·
Registered
881 Posts
This is definitely a major issue, but I don't see how a vehicle with +100k miles before first major issue is a lemon???

Having said that, the class action settlement was just reached in May and should be approved by the judge this month. You may be covered under that. You should research that settlement and talk to Acura dealer as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dubious story...I smell troll.
Yes and no. Frustrated individuals who don't really understand cars and how complicated they are, then have the misfortune of buying a bad year, need to vent and come here. I used to buy new, but got frustrated with taking super care of a car only to dump it just past 100K because of issues that were unable to be overcome with good maintenance. I shifted to buying used, typically 5-7 years old with 100K miles and good maintenance history. That gave me time to figure out if the basic platform was solid and would have a high probability of going another 100-200K without a ton of expense. That's been working pretty well for me, but '10-'13 MDXs are banished from my driveway for the same issue that the OP is dealing with. If I do another MDX it will be a '14 or '15. Who knows after that. I just helped my son buy a 2011 V6 Toyota Venza with 130K on it using the same strategy.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The internet is a tool, which needs to be used prior to the purchase of a big ticket item.
The world wide web has been around for decades, yet people don't fully utilize it, until they've gone down the wrong path.
Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus products are near perfect, but you have to do your homework, nonetheless.

The OP should trade his busted 2012 MDX, for a 175,000 -185,000 mile 2007 - 2009 MDX Base Model, at a Buy-Here-Pay-Here lot, after he pays a mechanic $200 for an inspection. Once the purchase is complete, he should get the Timing Belt service done.
I recommend a vehicle inspection, at an Import Auto Repair Shop over a Dealer, because Dealers "swap" OEM parts and don't want to take responsibility, for proven solutions, found on the internet.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The internet is a tool, which needs to be used prior to the purchase of a big ticket item.
The world wide web has been around for decades, yet people don't fully utilize it, until they've gone down the wrong path.
Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus products are near perfect, but you have to do your homework, nonetheless.

The OP should trade his busted 2012 MDX, for a 175,000 -185,000 mile 2007 - 2009 MDX Base Model, at a Buy-Here-Pay-Here lot, after he pays a mechanic $200 for an inspection. Once the purchase is complete, he should get the Timing Belt service done.
I recommend a vehicle inspection, at an Import Auto Repair Shop over a Dealer, because Dealers "swap" OEM parts and don't want to take responsibility, for proven solutions, found on the internet.
Because the OP doesn't tell us if he bought the car new or used it's entirely possible he either bought it new without the opportunity to know of the oil burning issue and that would be the same if he bought it as a very late model used car. It wasn't until August 10, 2019 that Acura officially issued the service bulletin laying out the terms for warranty extension, etc., regarding oil consumption. Depending on the timing of his purchase it could easily have occurred before it was a generally known issue.

Reactions: Yankeezone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like you had the oil consumption issue which led to damage because it was left untreated.

The recall is not for destroyed engine. It's for the oil consumption issue. You should have made sure the oil was not burning and made it to Acura for the test.

Of course, that's your right. I don't know if you have a lemon law case, but with this happen at 100K I would definitely try claiming this with Acura in order to get the new engine. Good luck!
My 2012 Acura MDX Advanced - Hmm I had a total replacement of pistons and rings after my oil consumption test. Performs Better. Get Acura dealer to check it out. Hope you get it covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts