Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only had my MDX for two days, and when I backed it out today, I noticed some oil on the floor (about a 1 foot long spot). I looked under the car and saw drops of oil all over the pan (its on the driver side, looked like the transmission). I took it in and they told me it was a bad rear main seal, which requires the transmission or engine to be dropped, and about 8 hours of work.

They told me it may be ready Monday, but because of the holiday, it could be Wednesday. I already had trips planned to show off my new car on Sat, Sun and Monday. Now all they will see is an old Dodge Carivan that smells from smoke (its a Hertz rental).

My son only had enough time to apply conditioner to two seats before I saw the leak and took the car in.

Im sure glad I took out the extended warranty. If I had any doubt when I bought it, I dont have now. I always thought that if anyone's car would have a problem, it would be mine.

Is replacing a main seal something that should not cause any less performance in the MDX after it is repaired?

Do you think I should get some kind of compensation for this, and what? When I got the car the salesman had offered a free oil change if I let them review my questionaire.

Thanks.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got my MDX back from the shop after being there for 5 days. They had the car longer than I did. They replaced the main engine seal, which required dropping the engine.

I was told it took so long because the dealer had to document all the steps, and the tech had to keep calling the techline and faxing pictures back and forth. He wanted to make sure everything was done right. This is a rare problem and the car is new for the tech. I also know they were taking breaks from working my car and working on other cars. Too bad that the dealer basically had my car during my whole Christmas vacation, and I had to show off my rental car instead of my MDX.

Based on the experience that BellTech had, I looked over the car, and found scratches on some of the plastic parts similar to his, but not as bad. I also noticed white powder all over the oil pan. I wonder if that is to show off any oil that may appear. They claim they drove the car for 20 minutes to make sure the leak was gone. I will keep an eye on it.

I need to speak to my salesman tomorrow and let him know about the scratches and the powder. This is going to cost them their perfect score on the new car questionaire.

As a separate issue, on the way home I noticed that my Nav kept having to recalculate, as if it kept thinking I was driving off the freeway. I dont know if this is normal or something that has to be calibrated.

It is nice to have my MDX back. It is a pleasure to drive.

Ira

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

I started this thread. My leak was due to the main engine seal gone bad. I saw drops of oil all over under the engine (front right part of the car). This was a new experience for my dealer, so the tech was in constant touch with Acura and documented eveything they did, faxing pictures of what they saw (so they say). I had to keep calling as this happened during holiday time and I know they were bouncing back and forth between my car and others while they were waiting for info from Acura. They were pretty reasonable talking to me and didnt care that I kept calling each day to find out about the progress.

Do you know if it was transmission fluid or motor oil? When they fixed the leak, they put some stuff on the oil pan on my car so any more leaks would show up. You didnt have the towing package added by some chance, which they could have leaked the transmission oil while they put it on (they add a transmission fluid cooler)?

My dealer was Metro Acura in Montclair, Ca.

Good luck.

Ira

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know that they did put in a new seal because they took a few days to order the part, along with them telling me that it was a brand new seal they were putting in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.