Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only had my MDX for two days, and when I backed it out today, I noticed some oil on the floor (about a 1 foot long spot). I looked under the car and saw drops of oil all over the pan (its on the driver side, looked like the transmission). I took it in and they told me it was a bad rear main seal, which requires the transmission or engine to be dropped, and about 8 hours of work.

They told me it may be ready Monday, but because of the holiday, it could be Wednesday. I already had trips planned to show off my new car on Sat, Sun and Monday. Now all they will see is an old Dodge Carivan that smells from smoke (its a Hertz rental).

My son only had enough time to apply conditioner to two seats before I saw the leak and took the car in.

Im sure glad I took out the extended warranty. If I had any doubt when I bought it, I dont have now. I always thought that if anyone's car would have a problem, it would be mine.

Is replacing a main seal something that should not cause any less performance in the MDX after it is repaired?

Do you think I should get some kind of compensation for this, and what? When I got the car the salesman had offered a free oil change if I let them review my questionaire.

Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
ifeldman....yikes, I guess it was a good thing you caught the leak BEFORE you went to show it off. You may not have made it back.....:(

I THINK the repair should make it as good as new, but perhaps some of our more technical readers might comment further.

Oh, any your extended warranty really has no basis in this case....it would have been covered under the std mfg warranty.

As for compensation, good luck....you appear to have no legal basis yet....and I hope you never get to where it becomes a consideration.:mad:

Hope it all works out for ya and you still get to show it off in the next few days.:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh I hope NOT..

I truly hope this will not turnout to be 'OIL Leak Part II'. If you haven't read Bell's experience yet, I suggest you take a quick search on "Oil Leak". Please keep us updated with the outcome.
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got my MDX back from the shop after being there for 5 days. They had the car longer than I did. They replaced the main engine seal, which required dropping the engine.

I was told it took so long because the dealer had to document all the steps, and the tech had to keep calling the techline and faxing pictures back and forth. He wanted to make sure everything was done right. This is a rare problem and the car is new for the tech. I also know they were taking breaks from working my car and working on other cars. Too bad that the dealer basically had my car during my whole Christmas vacation, and I had to show off my rental car instead of my MDX.

Based on the experience that BellTech had, I looked over the car, and found scratches on some of the plastic parts similar to his, but not as bad. I also noticed white powder all over the oil pan. I wonder if that is to show off any oil that may appear. They claim they drove the car for 20 minutes to make sure the leak was gone. I will keep an eye on it.

I need to speak to my salesman tomorrow and let him know about the scratches and the powder. This is going to cost them their perfect score on the new car questionaire.

As a separate issue, on the way home I noticed that my Nav kept having to recalculate, as if it kept thinking I was driving off the freeway. I dont know if this is normal or something that has to be calibrated.

It is nice to have my MDX back. It is a pleasure to drive.

Ira

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine too!!!

I had my 'DX for a week now. Last night, backing out the garage, I saw a "pool" of liquid on the garage floor. Upon inspecting, it was some type of oil. Looking underneath the car, I saw beading of oil dropplets in the front. Checked engine oil - looks fine, transmission oil, nothing was registering on the dipstick.

I had the 'DX towed to place of purchase. The service department had it all day and said that they could not see anything "leaking" - placed paper of some sort on the front and nothing.

I told the service dept that from the amount of oil I saw on the floor, everything that was to leak out is out and nothing is in the transmission.

Not quiet sure but it seems service department never checked the "dipstick" - just waited for the leak to occur. Now, from a common sense point, wouldn't you first check the transmission to see if oil is still there? Then the engine oil, then the brake fluid?

I am just p***sed that they just let the DX sit all day looking for the leak....where are these guys trained at anyway!!

I even told them I checked the trans oil and nothing was registering on the dip stick....

So anyone else with oil pool in their garage?

Mike

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
leaky Acuras??

DAMN IT man....Leave a Japanese vehicle to be put together by any country other than where its originally created...is..sacreledge!

Kidding...But seriously though....that some serious leakage. Am sooo thankful that mine is NOt leaking. I had an oil leak problem when I had purchase a 1991 Acura Integra. Seems as though with the 1991s they had a seal problems. It had to be taken back to the dealer for reseal.

On new generation vehicle...seems as though leakage is a problem in Acuras...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Still in the shop

Just to keep whomever is interested in my saga....
It seems the service dept is too busy to call back with updates. Had to call them repeatley to find out whats going on and with different people I talked to, different answers.

Friday
@ 5:00pm: The first person said that everything is working perfectly and that I could pick my car up on Saturday (towed in on Friday). No leak was found.

@5:30pm: Difinite leak found. Need to add some type of die and see where its leaking from. No ETA. Will update Satuday morning.

No call on Saturday.

@ 6:30pm - short handed to review notes for my car. Will call back in a few.

@6:42pm - definite leak but do not know where its coming from. need to call Acura on Monday for directions. No ETA. Could be couple of days to couple of weeks...

One of the posters here said not to piss of the guys who is fixing my car. so how do I keep cool under all this? If this car was a $5K Hyundai, heck, I would expect a little oil leak and or service dept giving me the run around. But damn it, this was a $40K car!

Needed to vent and thanks for hearing me out.

Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike,

I started this thread. My leak was due to the main engine seal gone bad. I saw drops of oil all over under the engine (front right part of the car). This was a new experience for my dealer, so the tech was in constant touch with Acura and documented eveything they did, faxing pictures of what they saw (so they say). I had to keep calling as this happened during holiday time and I know they were bouncing back and forth between my car and others while they were waiting for info from Acura. They were pretty reasonable talking to me and didnt care that I kept calling each day to find out about the progress.

Do you know if it was transmission fluid or motor oil? When they fixed the leak, they put some stuff on the oil pan on my car so any more leaks would show up. You didnt have the towing package added by some chance, which they could have leaked the transmission oil while they put it on (they add a transmission fluid cooler)?

My dealer was Metro Acura in Montclair, Ca.

Good luck.

Ira

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't have my MDX yet, but I will keep an eye out for this problem when I do get it in the next couple weeks.

I have been told that if a car is going to have problems, it will most likely be when you first get it. This is probably due to a defective part when they assembled the car. They may have a batch of bad seals or gaskets they are using on the vehicles during manufacturing.
As for the coolers on the towing package. They are installed just behind the front bumper and would not cause a leak under your oil pan. If the leak was at the front of the vehicle (near the radiator), then the coolers may be the culprit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Found - dealer replacing Trans

ifeldman,

Called the dealer again (never get a call from these guys).
Sure enough its the transmission. Service technician did not go into detail but when they called Acura Techline, Techline told them to replace the whole tranny. Have it on order should arrive in couple of days....

I will keep on posting the details here...

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
ifeldman,

Nope, did not install towing package.

From the calls I made, they seem pretty good about me constantly nagging and asking questions. But, I wish they are the ones initiating the calls to me to inform me as to what the progress is. I understand that they may be busy but who isn't?

I guess they have a "checklist" they have to go through to diagnose but I still feel that if they had checked the dipstick on Friday, they would have known it was the transmission and I would be getting my 'DX back that much sooner.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Take care,

Mike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Mike:

Make meticulous records of EVERY conversation.

Make sure all work is documented on the computer generated work order.

GET THE ACURA REGIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER involved if you do not like the 'story' you are getting.

DEMAND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY for free (you can ask...)

DO NOT ACCEPT YOU VEHICLE BACK IF THERE ARE ANY NICKS, SCRATCHES, ETC without documenting this IN THE COMPUTER PRINTOUT.

The following items are required in the Service Manual and should be spelled out on your printout:
Did they flush the ATF cooler?
NEW "set ring" on the intermediate shaft AND on the left driveshaft.
NEW cotter pins for front suspension tie rod ends
CHECK and adjust froont wheel alignment

if you don't see the parts on the print-out, they used the old ones....

Remember, their goal is to get the car to last 36,000 miles. Period.

Cynically yours,

Ard

PS If you want copies of the tranny remove and install instructions, PM me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ardvarkus,

Per the service department, they dyed the transmission oil to locate the point of origin. None found. They said that it sort of dripped everywhere. Called the techline and was told to replace the entire transmission. Transmission arrived today, 2/15/02, they are working on it and will try to finish it on Saturday 2/16/02.

7pm, my sales person called and said that he spoke with the service manager regarding my problem. Manager told him that the transmission is faulty. Something about manufacturing process. Won't be completed until Tuesday....

So, my 'DX was 10900th one to roll out. If there was break down at the manufacturing plant for the transmission, there may be some bad batch out there...

I will call and demand to get "free" extended warranty, free scheduled maintenance...I guess all they can say is "no".

Thanks for the pointers, i will certainly use em.

Mike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If i may, a suggestion:

don't demand the warranty right away.

First, go to pick up the vehicle. (But be prepared to leave it- don't make plans.)

Be prepared with a list of all the items that needed to be replaced and done.

Here is the tough part, and they will practically refuse to do this: make sure they put in writing that the replaced with new the specific parts required. If they claim it was not necessary, have them TYPE INTO THE WORK ORDER "replacement as described in the service manual not necessary based on recommendation from...". Make sure they specifically state they did the front alignment. Make sure the miscellaneous parts are actually listed as specific line item parts on the paperwork.

Now, if they did not do the job right, refuse to take the vehicle. TEll them you want to speak to the Acura Regional rep. Tell them to keep the car until the job is done right.

Now you have the case that the repairs have been done poorly, and you have zero confidence in the work, and the least Acura can do is to provide an entended warranty to cover any possible problems.

You see, if you call and ask now they will turn down the request for a free extended warranty, since they've done nothing wrong (other than causing you grief). Once you point out that they have screwed up by not 'technically' following proper procedures, you have the advantage. heck, you can make them do the job half over to replace the parts.

of course, this assumes they will cut corners. Since they assuredly will not have all these parts in stock, if they only order a 'transmission' they might not order the other parts needed. Or they may.

Keep us posted. and sorry for you misfortune...

Ard

PS I had ONE run in with my dealer, which was resolved fairly well. (With help from the Northern CA Acura regional rep). When I brought the vehicle back on two other occasions, you can be sure that it was PERFECT. They knew what my expectations were, they knew I knew how to do it right, and they made sure there was no possibility for me to be an a_ _ . :cool:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hello all, and to ifeldman.

Ive been traveling on business so im sorry I have not tuned into the board in a while. I cant believe all these leaky X's that are popping up. My new 2002 has been a dream ( Knock on the fake wood ) sofar.

ifeldman, One quick note on your repair. When I went through my ordeal they tried the same thing ( replacing the seal ) but it did not work and days later I was back to the shop. The reason they want it for so long is because they fill the poorly cast seal plate with gasket goop to stop the leak. This will most likely come back as a leak again in the future so I suggest you keep an eye on it and Document everything and every step of the way. That goes for ANYONE who is having trouble. Make a timeline with peoples names you talked to and what was said. I hope they can get you up and running again. Good luck

TECK!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Acura Woes

The value of this site speaks for itself. We are Corporations worst nightmares: organized and informed consumers. I think Acuras are great cars, but it is informative knowing that they can fail, but at least we are not subject to revisionist history from the dealers such as "....No, we've never seen this problem before...." sure. Keep on communicating!

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '02 started leaking transmission fluid after only 2 days--faulty O-ring. It was fixed and has been bullet-proof for the ensuing 3 months and 3500 miles. In fact it has the least--i.e no--faults of any new car that I have owned. No squeaks, thuds, rattles or other things that can nag a perfectionist owner.

A bad seal does not indicate that you chosen the wrong car, or that you have purchased a lemon. But I'm sure the dealer would love to sell you an unneccessary $1500 warranty.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
There is a TSB on this problem

I was at the dealer today for my 3k check up and saw an MDX with the oil leak being fixed. It was a big fix, they had to drop the front sub-frame and the tech wasn't smiling. Check out the tsb posted on this site for the description of the problem. It required some welding and some patch work. It doesn't require a seal to fix unless they did that in addition to the tsb issue. check out the tsb area for the update. It is a problem with all the 3.5 liter engines.:(

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know that they did put in a new seal because they took a few days to order the part, along with them telling me that it was a brand new seal they were putting in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
ifeldman
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing