Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I reached the +-15000k mark on maintenance and service for my silver 01 and decided to call a couple dealers to perform the service .. . and not surprised received 3 different opinions .. I ask what the _uck???

What do I need to get done on the 15K mile service??
(Without disclosing the dealer . .IM/email me if you really wanna know)

Dealer #1 Response

Replace Engine oil, filter, and drain plug washers
Inspect Wiper Blades, belts, hoses, fuel lines and exhaust sys
Inspect and rotate tires
Inspect front and rear break assemblies
Check/adjust Parking brake, fluid levels
Inspect Steering system, suspension components and alignment
Road Test
Weeping Mirrors TSM - n/c
Change VTM Fluid
Wheel Alignment
Shuttle Service or 10% coupon with Enterprise

Total Damage incl labor: $280.00

Dealer #2 Response

Everything above EXCEPT ..

NOT required on Change VTM fluid . .recommended at 30K not 15K service
NOT required on Wheel Alignment (unless it is completely off) add'l $59.00
Weeping Mirrors TSB - n/c
On Waiting List for loaner car, Shuttle Service too far, or dealer pays 1/2 for car rental

Total Damage incl labor: $192.00

Dealer #3 Response

Everything Dealer #2 says in addition Dealer will pay for rental car since loaners are out and they will be working on the TSB

Total Damage incl labor: $128.00

So, again I ask the question What the . . . .?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you live in an environment where you drive in HARSH conditions then #1 applies and the price is reasonable.

If you dont live in an environment where you DONT drive in HARSH conditions then #3 is reasonable. #2 is not reasonable.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yer right!

Blade---> 'tis true .. forgive me for being inconsiderate of the MDXers who live in extreme/unpredictable weather/climates......looks like you live in socal quality weather:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: yer right!

PolyTat said:
Blade---> 'tis true .. forgive me for being inconsiderate of the MDXers who live in extreme/unpredictable weather/climates......looks like you live in socal quality weather:D :D :D
Polytat-

WOW! It is nice weather down here...And have been for the last five days! Clear blue skies, 80 degrees F. 20 miles visibility, no humidity... It's ALL RIGHT....

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer #3

Just picked up the MDX from Dealer #3 (above). They actually charged me $108.00 incl tax for the 15000 mi service. The air filters are on back order so once they get some in they will just pop it in.
They also performed the Weeping Mirrors TSB and even showed me where the water will drain out quicker. We'll see
Overall, great service and accommodated me with picking up the rental!

Question: So, I still ask the question......why do dealers charge different $$ for similar work performed??? 7500 mi, 15000 mi service . .etc

Answer: Because they can!

Hmmmmm.....which dealer (in the greater Los Angeles area) am I going use for the 22k service??

·
Registered
747 Posts
PT--consider yourself blessed to have > 2 options! My closest dealer is 20 miles away, and my second option is 45 miles away...what a pain!

Thanks for #s...good for comparo...

And as for that So. Cal. weather--an early fire season for you and the movie stars, eh?

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess if I moved to Tahiti, I wouldn't have any choices except to have Uncle Jun or myself do the maintenance;) ;) ;)

See how spoiled you can be living in a huge metropolitan area covering 400 miles!! Yeah just in the greater L.A/Orange County area I think there are nearley 12 Acura dealers .. .choices .sometimes it can be tooooo painsaking!! Regarding service, I have no loyalty to any of them.

Fires season has started early . . .north at Pacific Palisades, close to Anaheim Hills, and south at Fallbrook in San Diego . .more to come.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
15,000 mile maintenance service charges

I dropped off my MDX for the 15K maintenance work I was told it would take an hour.I was about to settle down with the newspaper in the lounge when my salesperson walked by. He offered me a free Acura TL loaner to bum around in until my MDX was finished.
I returned an hour and a half later and saw my MDX all cleaned up. I went to the cashier and was shocked that the invoice totaled $278. I was unhappily surprised and stated that I was quoted $99 (I brought my own Mobil 1 5W30 oil.)

The cashier went to the manager and confirmed that I was indeed "misquoted" $99 it should have been $275. The manager OKd payment of $99.

I noticed that the bill quoted 3.3 hours of labor
the real time was about 1 hour.

I'm quite pleased with work and dealership, However, I think there's the notion that it's OK to GOUGE the MDX owners. I can't imagine that these 15K maintenance prices are standard for the less expensive models sold at this dealership.

Initially I thought $99 was pricey!! Go figure.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
$99 or $275

either might be pricey, depending on what they did...

Did they even do the VTM4? (It isn't 'required' unless you are in severe service.)

Of course you got a tire rotation and oil change.

and all those rigorous 'inspections' ....

I'm assuming the paperwork they gave you when you gave them the vehicle had $99 on it- otherwise you were very lucky.

Oh, they often will have more than one 'mechanic' working on it- a low end guy to rotate tires, fill fluids, check stuff- and a higher end to do the other. Still, book time is always way high compared to elapsed or actual time.

Finally, on the gouging issue: isn't this a universal 'car dealership' thing? Not just acura, but you name it: BMW, Mercedes, FORD, DODGE... I've seen it for every car I've owned. The high end ones are admittedly worse. Indeed, I've notice a distinct snobbishness from BMW and Infiniti, like "can't you afford this?" (F yes, bub- just don't want YOU to get my money.)

Ard

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: $99 or $275

ardvarkus said:
either might be pricey, depending on what they did...

Did they even do the VTM4? (It isn't 'required' unless you are in severe service.)

well they charged me $9.72 for the VTM4 fluid. I'mm assuming that means they checked it and replaced fluid.

Of course you got a tire rotation and oil change.

and all those rigorous 'inspections' ....

I'm assuming the paperwork they gave you when you gave them the vehicle had $99 on it- otherwise you were very lucky.

Yes! I was saved by the novice counterguy who did write $99 on the paperwork when I gave him my MDX.

Oh, they often will have more than one 'mechanic' working on it- a low end guy to rotate tires, fill fluids, check stuff- and a higher end to do the other. Still, book time is always way high compared to elapsed or actual time.

Finally, on the gouging issue: isn't this a universal 'car dealership' thing? Not just acura, but you name it: BMW, Mercedes, FORD, DODGE... I've seen it for every car I've owned. The high end ones are admittedly worse. Indeed, I've notice a distinct snobbishness from BMW and Infiniti, like "can't you afford this?" (F yes, bub- just don't want YOU to get my money.)

I think that when my next major maintenace interval is due I'll phone the local Honda dealership and ask them what they would charge. Hopefully, it won't be as steep as $278 for one hours actual work!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
$9.72 ?

A good buy, actually... list price is around $19 a gallon, and the differential takes 3 quarts, or around $14 worth.

Did they also charge for the two VTM4 replacement washers along with the washer for the oil pan? (They are supposed to replace, not reuse, the two washers on the diff.)

Any mechanic can do the service on this car- no need to take it to a 'relative' (Honda).

Ard

·
Registered
248 Posts
Getting Ripped Off?

I called 3 "nearby" dealerships for 15,000 mile service quotes:

Dealer A (7 miles):
$263
(includes Rear Diff Fluid, which I told him I didn't need, but he said he uses Severe Climate conditions)

Dealer B (10 miles):
$231
(includes regular 15,000 mile service stuff)

Dealer C (28 miles):
$180
(includes same services as Dealer B)

All 3 include Loaner Car. When I asked Dealer B if they would match a competitor's price, he said only "Item for Item" comparison.

It seems that what the 15,000 mile service REALLY comes down to is this:
* Oil and Filter Change
* Rotate Tires
* Change Wiper Blades
* Change Air Filter
* Adjust that Dang Parking Brake
* "Inspect" Belts and Hoses

Am I better off just asking for the individual services to be performed? I want to take care of the X, but don't want to be ripped off.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Chris-

Here is my list for ME PERSONALLY. This is based on the factory requirements for standard service. I bump up the intervals if it is severe service. Also, you will note that I change the engine oil on a 5K schedule regularly (3750 if severe). (Note: this is actually a .pdf file, but I called it a .zip to get it added to the site. You'll need to change the name, or drag it into Adobe Acrobat Reader...)

I printed out a bunch of these, and just use them each time I service the car. I write whatever info right on the page, then file it with all the receipts, etc in the cabinet. In the event of a warranty claim, I'll be in fine shape.

I do it myself. It is easier than driving to the dealer, picking up a loaner, driving home, and returning at the end of the day. I admit, I live 40+ miles from the dealer. Takes me 2.5 hours to do the service. Plus, I know the work is actually being done, and done right. I also record stuff like brake pad thickness, not just 'looks OK'. I can also keep track of fluid levels for trends which can indicate leaks, etc.

Perhaps most importantly, I hate getting bent over by the dealer for this type of work. You know they do it in 45 minutes... and don't retorque bolts or do half the inspections.

I could see a 'hybrid' approach, were you do the stuff you can (wiper blades at least?, air filter?) and they do the other stuff. :)

Ard

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
File problem?

Hey ardvarkus,

I can't get your file to open properly. I am using WinZip, and it says it is not a valid file.

Can you post the file as a document, rather than Zip file?

Thanks,
cbarry

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hey Chris-

As I stated in the message:
"Note: this is actually a .pdf file, but I called it a .zip to get it added to the site. You'll need to change the name, or drag it into Adobe Acrobat Reader...)"

it is not a 'zip' file, but I had to name it that to get the website to upload it. (The website only allows limited file types.)

Save it to your disk. (Virus scan, of course, since you don't know...right?) Then open up adobe acrobat, and just drag the file into acrobat. You can change the extension from .zip to .pdf also...

sorry for the difficulty- pdf would be a nice thing for the site to offer.

Ard

·
Registered
248 Posts
Duh,
I should have figured it out the first time. I just didn't look closely enough at the instructions.
I simply added .pdf onto the filename to save to my disk, and Voila.

cbarry

·
Registered
229 Posts
VTM must be changed at 7,500? Why does the file you have posted change it at 15K?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Loose-

Excellent point for new owners, and I missed it- This DOES NOT include the break-in period (which you correctly point out is 7500 miles)

The INTERVAL for normal service AFTER the break-in is 15000 miles.

Since I have 31k+ on mine, the 7500 mile first change isn't reflected in this document. (I actually had the dealer do that, last time they touched the vehicle...)

You'll note that these mileage intervals get adjusted for any of the severe service 'triggers': off-road, severe heat, stop and go...

For me, the only issue I'll likely face is high heat here in the Sacramento, CA area (30+ days at 100+ per year- not phoenix, but hot)

Later,

Ard

Hot damn- 2 feet of fresh powder- Squaw tomorrow!

·
Registered
229 Posts
OK. I had my local "rip-off" Acura dealer do the 7,500 mile service. Total charge was $139. This included changing the engine oil and filter and the VTM fluid. They said they did a bunch of BS checks. No loaner car.

I think I'll do the 15K oil change at jiffy lube.

Then back to dealer for 22.5K at $139.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Here is the breakdown from Sussman Acura in Maple Shade, NJ.

"15k service: oil& filter svc., tire rotation, trans svc, adj. park. brake, set tire pressures & inspect 27 other items. If applicable change differential fluid & adjst engine valves."

Breakdown:
This service is scheduled for 1.8 hours at a cost of $140 (minus parts, fluids, etc). On my vehicle they used the following parts/fluids: oil filter ($7.25), 1 washer 14mm ($.20), fluid atf-z1 ($19.38), 1 washer 18mm ($2.93), bg110 moa - motor oil additive ($7.40), lube oil - engine oil ($6.00), and environmental fee ($1.50).

Add tax to get a total of $196.16.

Exceptional service from Deanna and Mandy (service advisors) and Sandy (technician).

Ed

1 - 20 of 37 Posts