Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

this is my first mdx (and in fact first suv) , i bought mdx 2016 tech package so far loving it.. I wanted to know what are the most common or must have accessories which i should start looking at..

·
Registered
316 Posts
I suggest looking at the catalog and get what you like. Not all like the same accessories. For instance, some like the side door moldings and some think they are hideous. Congrats on the new MDX.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Really depends on where you live, how many in the family (pets?), and how you are going to use the MDX. I did window tint, 3M clear bra on front and headlights, OEM all weather mats, tri-fold cargo tray, cargo net, roof rack, trailer hitch, cargo cover, and side steps. I get a lot of use from everyone. The side moldings, front/rear garnish, fog lights, moonroof deflector, etc.. and mostly dress-up items.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Everyone has different tastes so you may like something others won't and vice-versa.

For my 2016, the sport running boards and splash guards were the first things I put on. In my opinion Acura/Honda cars look much better with the splash guards on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Everyone has different tastes so you may like something others won't and vice-versa.

For my 2016, the sport running boards and splash guards were the first things I put on. In my opinion Acura/Honda cars look much better with the splash guards on.
+1 for the splash guards. To me, it improves appearance as well as protects.

I also like the hinged cargo mat - highly functional and much easier to clean. I didn't get the cargo net with my package, but I may order it online. Weather tech floor mats are really good too although I haven't put them on my MDX yet, I had them on 2 other Acuras.

It's a small thing, but I also got one of the MDX branded keychains too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The only accessory I installed so far is the roof rack and crossbars (see my 'self-install' thread here on them). I added them for the utility of being able to carry things on the roof like a roof cargo bag/box, kayak, awkward things, etc.

I may add a hitch at some point but haven't yet because I still have an old vehicle with a hitch available.

I don't like running boards. They're not really needed on this vehicle since it's not that high off the ground and they bang your legs and get the back of your legs dirty when getting out of the vehicle. Regardless of the decorative value of them, try getting in/out of an MDX with them on first to make sure you really want them. If they'd have been given to me free I still wouldn't use them.

Some people want the fog lights but IMO they're not needed on this vehicle and are mostly for decorative value. They're not needed because the LED headlights do a great job in the fog and light up to the sides better than conventional lights as well.

I don't have splash guards and haven't noticed any issue with not having them. Maybe if I lived on a dirt road and drove it every day I might have a different opinion. Note that I live in an area with no snow and almost no rain.

For the above reason, I don't need all weather mats.

I tackily use a blanket in the cargo area rather than an official cargo mat - it's cheap and easy, provides a softer area for my dog (a boxer), the dog hairs come out with it when I pull it out, and it's handy to use to cover any packages, etc. I might buy - just stink them under the blanket. The blanket is a dark color and with the window tinting hard to see that it's even hiding anything.

I don't have the visor - I actually use the sunroof very little for some reason on this vehicle even though I live in an ideal area for one. I have an old convertible and drive that almost exclusively with the top down.

Bottom line - some of the accessories are utilitarian but only have utility for people who need it, and some are more decorative and whether to get them just depends on the whims of the owner and their subjective desires.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ This boxer is a great travel dog - he went coast to coast and back twice plus some other trips in the MDX. He seemed to like the MDX just fine. Do you have one (a boxer - I assume you have an MDX)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't get the rear folding cargo tray. The OEM one is aweful as it is not made out of rubber and they don't have anything on the underside to hold it from moving around a bit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the advance model of the '14. They threw in the all weather mats and the trifold cargo mat fo rthe back. I think these are must haves to keep the floor clean. As stated above, the trifold slides around a little bit, but it's not bad. Mostly what's back there is my hockey equipment(only on game days....peeeee-yeeewww) and golf clubs. I will be adding the crossbars and snowboard rack shortly for my son and I's boards. I put the trailer hitch on the back for the thule bike rack and whenever I can convince my wife that we need a boat. Other than that, the only other thing I would like to add is the heated steering wheel for the winter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are the options I got with no regrets:

- The first thing I did was tint the front two windows-must do this!
- Trailer hitch. Don't go aftermarket. The OEM is integrated so much nicer
- Trifold cargo mat: not perfect but after a bit of Velcro, it's as good as you can hope for to keep the back free of stains from hockey and golf equipment
- remote start: great but only issue is makes the remote larger and heavier
- on order as I get ready for the Canadian winter: weathertech mats: the OEM ones are not deep enough to do a good job so I will splurge on this set.
- front and rear dash cam from Blackvue....too many crazy drivers and to protect against fraud and staged accidents...hope I never need it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
- Tint the front windows (where I live, it's legal to match them to the back)
- Got the dealer to toss in the carpet cargo liner

That's about all I plan to do. I don't mod cars much, because you don't get it back.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
- Tint the front windows (where I live, it's legal to match them to the back)
- Got the dealer to toss in the carpet cargo liner

That's about all I plan to do. I don't mod cars much, because you don't get it back.
The one beauty of the Honda/Acura family is that the OEM accessories are very easy to install and remove, with the exception of the rear bumper protector and the front trim. Everything else is pretty much plug and play, so if you want to sell it later, it's quick and easy to get something back before sale.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
it's quick and easy to get something back before sale.
One thing that's a fairly permanent install is the roof rack rails. The existing rubber strips get cut when the rails are installed and the chrome 'rail caps' seem to be permanent also since I think they'd get destroyed in removal due to the way the snap-on clips work.

But - since the rails are unique to the MDX and IMO substantially improve the looks and they add utility, I doubt anyone would bother to try to take them off and put it back to the non-rail anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use to have a Lexus RX350
It had sensors on the front and rear bumpers to protect for damage .
I bought a 2016 Acura MDX (only 20000 Km from a leasing company)
Good price, but my bumper sensors and HUD are gone.
Can i buy at Acura and get installed bumper sensors ?
What will be the approximate price ?
I live in Canada.
Thank you

·
Registered
244 Posts
dogs

^^ This boxer is a great travel dog - he went coast to coast and back twice plus some other trips in the MDX. He seemed to like the MDX just fine. Do you have one (a boxer - I assume you have an MDX)?
I've always had Golden Retrievers and since I wanted (and got) an Advance, I have to deal with the twin buckets in the second row with a large, high console in the middle. NOT dog-friendly. But I could not justify an extra $2k for the rear seat entertainment, which would have given me a bench seat. Sadly, I don't take Spenser in it as often as I have other dogs in the past.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts