Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I truly was all gung ho for the X. Planned on getting it at the end of this year. But unfortuneatly, I was walking down the street and saw a murano and the XC90. Went to the volvo website priced it with comparable options to the X and it actuallky comes out $4k less than the X. (Granted not as much HP though).

I think Acura salespeople are about to get a reality check. There actually is choice in the SUV crossover market now. I dont like Murano's interior but that XC90 has got me thinking.

Has anyone else changed their minds about getting an X?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I needed the space so I didn't think the Murano cut it.

I looked seriously at the XC 90. Good looking vehicle. But I decided against the XC 90 because this is its first model year, of a very different model for Volvo, and there aren't many yet on the road to establish a track record. I didn't want to be caught in the Volvo learning curve for a new model. Volvo is a good company (though not at the top of the chart for reliability), so likely the first year glitchs would be minor. But for every manufacturer there is the possibility that the first year problems will be more than annoyances.

The 2003 MDX is already at the proven and stable stage, so I went with that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I should add, I've had the MDX for about 5 weeks. Wonderful vehicle. I also hate to have the vehicle in for service. It is pain to arrange. So dependability is important. It may not be the newest thing, but it works just fine. For my needs, I made the right decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at the XC90 as well, but chose the MDX for Several Reasons:

- Equipped Like a Touring w/Nav including the the bigger engine (T6) the car is 4-5K more expensive, not less expensive. And even with the T6 the power band is no where near as smooth as the MDX.

- Local dealer was abysmal, due to lack of inventory they kept trying to get me to buy a V70/Cross Country.

- When asked about ordering one, they had no data and Wanted $1500 to be put on a list which would allow me to Refuse or accept cars when and if they came in. And it appears that not too many are coming in with the Nav (critical for me, I drive 25k+ a year on business, mostly to places I have never been before). I was wait listed with the MDX as well, but was able to firm up options and colors right away.

- Continueing dealer gripes, they literally would not let me out of the place, and kept coming back with counter offers on the V70 (which I did not want, but they had 4 or 5 of them on the lot), Finally I had to walk out.

- Finally was trading in a 2000TL, which I was able to get a better price from Acura dealer, no surprise there and not reallly a point against the XC90 for most people.

Good Luck deciding!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also considered the XC90 before buying my '03 MDX. Here are my takes:

(1) XC90 is not as driver/passenger friendly -- more space in second row; easier entry in front, second and third row; raising/lowering the 3rd row is a nightmare in the XC90 compared to the MDX.

(2) I bought my MDX and plan on keeping it a long time -- I trust Honda/Acura in the long-run much more than Volvo (mostly for little things like electronics, fit & finish, etc.). Also, I didn't want to be out of warranty in 5 years and have to deal with the expense and worry with a turbo.

(3) I live in AZ and the air conditioner and rear climate in the XC90 doesn't compare to the MDX. Furthermore, turbos do NOT perform well at all in warm, dry weather, so that was a negative for me.

(4) The T6 (which is truly the only one to buy -- the T5 is grossly underpowered and should not have been made) has a 4-speed transmission. May not be a big deal, but it forces the car to "hunt" for gears much more than the MDX which makes for less smooth driving. I also just question why any car manufacturer would put a 5 speed in its smaller engine SUV, and a 4-speed in the top model.

The above being said, the Volvo is a nice ride (nice enough for me to seriously consider it) -- but not the value/luxury/performance combo that you get with MDX.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your takes. Looks like I'll be spending alot of sleepless nights thinking about this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The main area that MDX is a bit behind XC90 is the safety features. The disappointing thing is that they could have easily added some of these (e.g. side guard curtain) to the 2003 model, but they chose not to since it is already selling so well.

MDX:
- no side guard curtain (no excuse for this as even the accord has one)
- no HID Xenon (shouldn't this be expected for all Acura's?)
- seat belt pre-tensioners for front seats only (XC90 has it on all 7 seats)
- no Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- no Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)
- long braking distance (which makes the lack of EBA more detrimental)

Additional XC90 Safety features:
- RSC (Roll Stability Control) to prevent rollovers
- WHIPS (Whiplash Protection System) for all 7 seats
- laminated side windows option (no flying glass, and prevent occupants ejection)
- Boron Steel reinforced roof.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have my 2003 Touring with Nav for about 2 weeks. It's quiet, rides, accelerates and handles well with a "free" third row. However, Honda cut too many corners for a vehicle in this price range. Can you believe that the body side molding is an option? Some of the ergonomics are terrible. On balance, I'd give it a B+, assuming you pay less than list.

The reports on the Volvo and Murano are mixed. However, the Lexus GX470 is getting rave reviews and the dealers are willing "to deal". If you get the base GX with nav and upgraded sound, you're only a few (discounted) thousand over the MDX. However, for now, Lexus is only importing base and fully loaded GX's.

Expect MDX prices to soften this year. It's already started and Acura is running MDX ads on TV. If I could wait, I would have gone for the Lexus. That said, I need to order some molding.

·
Registered
235 Posts
3rd row?

zubinh,

if you do not need the 3rd row , you end up with a heck of alot of choices.

i drove the xc90 t6. IMHO, it is a very handsome car (its based off the s80, and so reliability should be better than the s80, but the s80 had many issues) inside (with the tan interior, the graphite makes it look to stark!) and out.
but the engine/tranmission and longish throttle pedal travel makes the car much less lively than the MDX. i like the autoshift feature( which the MDX should have) but with only four gears, whats the point! and the xc90 t6 runs into the mid $40s without nav nor res!

if i did not need the 3rd row i would want the fx35 or fx45 from infiniti-they look awesome and are rear-wheel drive biased for performance/handling.
they just may be the poor man's porsche cayenne.

i really dont think you can make a wrong decision.

good luck,

chris

:7:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't the MDX already has electronic brakeforce distribution??? I think it has this since 2001.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Everyone's buying priorities are different. We can go on and on comparing the pros and cons. Buy what your heart tells you is the right choice, I think they're all good vehicles.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
zubinh said:
Went to the volvo website priced it with comparable options to the X and it actuallky comes out $4k less than the X. (Granted not as much HP though).

:confused: :confused:

I don't understand how you arrived at the "$4K less than the X" total. :8:

The MDX is MSRP of $35700 or $38300 for the touring.

I just checked the MSRP for the 2WD XC90 and with the Premium package (Moonroof, leather) , and 3rd row seats it is up to $38260. And that is for the Volvo without 4WD and a much less powerful engine.

The all wheel drive XC90 comes to $40010 with the moonroof and 3rd row added. That again is with the under powered 2.5L engine. With the 2.9T (still not up to MDX standards) it is $43610.

I think you will find the Volvo much more than the MDX when a fair comparison is made.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed on above price comparison = XC90 vs. MDX

Yes.
3-4 months ago - I went through the same alsmost daily comparisons.....
Acura MDX = *****
Volvo XC90 = ****+1/2*
BMW X5 = ****
Mercedez ML320 = ***
(infinity & lexus dropped early)

The cost was much higher for X5 & XC90 for comparable vehicle with all the ammenitites...unless you (zubinh) are comparing the T5 model.

Safety = Volvo overall = has more features for sure
- but MDX so far have 5 ***** rating by NHSTA crash tests

3rd row = a must comparison if 3rd row is needed - I found XC90 3rd row to be tighter than MDX (others none)

I suggest you check out Edmund's Message board about the XC90 & test drive it yourself. Our dealere (owner) told us if we really wanted the XC90 that he can get it - but would wait until next year or the following unti all the kinks are cleaned.

Nissan Murano saw one today = looks like a hybrid/cross between a sedan +station wagon + an SUV.

Love my 2 weeks old MDX!!!!

no matter you destination
...enjoy the ride

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes gents I was using the T5 as my comparison. But I've been told that its very underpowered so I'm back to leaning to the X.

I guess the best thing about murano, XC, RX330 and FX45 is that they all will accomplish the same thing - STICK IT TO THE ACURA DEALER IF HE INSISTS ON MSRP OR MORE !!!! These four sport utes should make mdx dealers a little more humble.

Thank you Nissan, infiniti lexus and volvo. You just helped me keep a few more grand in my pocket when I buy my X later this Year!!!!

Ha ha ha !. You gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: Re: Murano and XC90 are making me think Twice

It depends on how you compare... Here is L.A., my local Volvo dealer is offering the XC90 at $1,000 over invoice. That makes the real world difference in price neglible...

) it is $43610.

I think you will find the Volvo much more than the MDX when a fair comparison is done. [/B]

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Murano and XC90 are making me think Twice

mogur said:
It depends on how you compare... Here is L.A., my local Volvo dealer is offering the XC90 at $1,000 over invoice. That makes the real world difference in price neglible...

Volvo XC90 2.9L Turbo with AWD and 3rd row seat as the only option invoice plus $1000 = $40659. MSRP of MDX = $35700. That still is comparing the excellent MDX 3.5 with adequate power and great mileage for its class to the Volvo 2.9 Twin Turbo that is still underpowered and overworked to get the power it does have.

My wife loves Volvo's but in a few years when we will again be in the market for a new vehicle we will not even consider the XC90 unless Volvo comes up with a new type of engine to power it.

If the XC90 is already available at $1000 over invoice after only being on the market for a few months it makes you wonder why?
Must not be much demand. ?:8:

·
Registered
76 Posts
It really depends upon what you like. The Murano looks really great. The XC90 will last forever. The MDX is a great blend of both worlds. The Lexus GX470 has Toyota durabilty and Lexus standard:1:

·
Registered
653 Posts
navybean said:
It really depends upon what you like. The Murano looks really great. The XC90 will last forever. The MDX is a great blend of both worlds. The Lexus GX470 has Toyota durabilty and Lexus standard:1:
Isn't it nice to have choices :2:

But for my needs (third row seat) and trust in the product (had an Integra & TL) quality of Acura, I put in an order for aan MDX over the Volvo (first year model made me think twice - but I gotta admit, it has nice safety features).

Then you look at the safety rating of the MDX and it is not too bad either (go to http://www.nhtsa.org/NCAP/Cars/2003SUVs.html to take a peek at the ratings so far). So far (Volvo had not been rated yet) the MDX was the only SUV that I saw with a rollover resistance rating of 4 stars - al others had 3 or less - I guess being wide at 77 inches helps).

So all being said, it comes down to preference and what you will be happy with. I have always been :D with my Acuras.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Friday had my X in the dealership for 7500 mile service, on the way home I stopped and looked at the Murano, didn't drive it, just looked. The salesman made a big deal about the 18" wheels. This is not a friendly car, the stainless interior reminds me of a kitchen sink, and there is something that reminds me of the JETSONS cartoon. I believe that the X's interior and size (more size) will win over the murano. The Murano will be a phase style, not the norm I believe. Sort of like, "nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there". :20:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Deals on the GX

I don't think the dealers are ready to deal on the GX yet, at least not in CA, even though the MSRP is $6000-7000 over invoice on a fully loaded GX. Compare that with a $4000 difference for an MDX and a $3000 difference (between MSRP and invoice) on a Volvo XC90.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts