Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX TECH
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2011 tech. Very nice car, coming from a 2003 Honda Pilot.
But now the Acura problems starting.

TPMS came in in first 50 miles, all tires were at 35 psi. So I filled to 50 psi....

Next drive and 4 lights caneon at same time with no difference in the mechanics.
Check emission, check vsa, check trailer stability, check ah-awd.

now this is with 200 miles driven, pretty pissed, my 03 pilot has 200k with minor issues ever.

so I just tried to remain calm, there is no way all those things are accurate. First instinct was to check battery, it’s a Napa legend, one year old.
A little research led me to do this

disconnect battery
Charge it to 13.7
Connect negative and positive for 15 min while unhooked from battery, use a jumper cable because they won’t reach

when you first connect black and red turn the key to the 2 slot four times Quickley

reconnect battery (red first) and start car

This cleared codes and it drives great

Now I can focus on the oil leak and trans leak, not super excited to have to deal with this Acura incompetence after being in a reliable Honda for 8 years...

I’ll update on my two leaks, looks like oil pump seal for the oil.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Acura vehicles do not like low power. You will get a ton of X-mas lights on the dash if the voltage is low. Every Acura I've had would either have a corroded battery cable, weak OEM battery, or OEM alternator not putting out enough voltage to charge the battery and run the car eventually.

I kept getting a yellow check charging system on my 11 MDX when I first purchased used back in 2014. Acura did a firmware update (don't know which one) and that eliminated the message 100%. Acura also did a 6AT firmware update at the same time and that really smoothed out the 6AT shifting and returned improved mpgs (especially hwy mpgs).

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
TPMS came in in first 50 miles, all tires were at 35 psi. So I filled to 50 psi....
Yikes! Don't do that, revert to 35 PSI - this is normal pressure. In fact, 32 PSI is better because that's what's recommended.

Next drive and 4 lights caneon at same time with no difference in the mechanics. Check emission, check vsa, check trailer stability, check ah-awd.
All of these issues usually come on as they are interconnected. When all of them come on at the same time, it's likely a weak battery. Get that checked, it's free. If it's fine, then your next culprit is likely a loose ground.

Now I can focus on the oil leak and trans leak, not super excited to have to deal with this Acura incompetence after being in a reliable Honda for 8 years...
The car you have is 9 years old with unknown mileage (you didn't mention). With time seals deteriorate and there's simply no way around it on any vehicle, Honda or not, so this has nothing to do with design.

I’ll update on my two leaks, looks like oil pump seal for the oil.
Yeah, that's going to be painful - you're going to have to remove the TB and the oil pan in order to reseal your pump (and I would advise to put in a new pump since you are in there already, it's not expensive).

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX TECH
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acura vehicles do not like low power. You will get a ton of X-mas lights on the dash if the voltage is low. Every Acura I've had would either have a corroded battery cable, weak OEM battery, or OEM alternator not putting out enough voltage to charge the battery and run the car eventually.

I kept getting a yellow check charging system on my 11 MDX when I first purchased used back in 2014. Acura did a firmware update (don't know which one) and that eliminated the message 100%. Acura also did a 6AT firmware update at the same time and that really smoothed out the 6AT shifting and returned improved mpgs (especially hwy mpgs).
Thanks for the info, I tested the battery at 12.4, which is a standard ok, but I am considering putting in an optima which tests at 12.6-12.8 if I experience problems again, of course I will look into alternator and grounds first. Thank you for the firmware comment, it drives great but the shifts are a little noticeable and it’s getting 14.2 mpg so I am curious if this will benefit as it did for you.

·
Registered
2011 Acura MDX TECH
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes! Don't do that, revert to 35 PSI - this is normal pressure. In fact, 32 PSI is better because that's what's recommended.

All of these issues usually come on as they are interconnected. When all of them come on at the same time, it's likely a weak battery. Get that checked, it's free. If it's fine, then your next culprit is likely a loose ground.

The car you have is 9 years old with unknown mileage (you didn't mention). With time seals deteriorate and there's simply no way around it on any vehicle, Honda or not, so this has nothing to do with design.

Yeah, that's going to be painful - you're going to have to remove the TB and the oil pan in order to reseal your pump (and I would advise to put in a new pump since you are in there already, it's not expensive).
Thanks for info, the mileage is 90,500

The tires on there say 50 psi, but makes sense if they were all at 35.

So I will be looking at the TB soon in which the oil pump and seal can be addressed. It looks like the oil filter housing, but most likely the oil pump seal as that is common I read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts