Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

MPG

880 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mrgold35 
#1 ·
2105 MDX SH-AWD on vacation. I'm pretty impressed weight empty is roughly 4200#. Loaded with 2 adults, a toddler and luggage for a week. Set cruise to 90 across NV desert and get a return of 24.7mpg. Tire psi at speed was 38 psi, according to tpms, which is correct bc I set them to 34psi cold. I'm curious if I raise psi to 36 cold, should return 40psi hot,. Just curious if 2psi could return over 25 mpg on the return.
Little specs on fluids. Engine oil Castrol 0/40 trans Valvoline maxlife synthetic, transfer RL 75/90 and dif synthetic ENEOS Honda pump fluid and K&N air filter (cleaned)

Yah I could set cruise to 80 the speed limit, it would increase, unfortunately Acura set a max cruise control speed to 90, otherwise would have been set to 100. This mpg does include a few blast up to 120. She still rides smooth and stable at 120. Then again Northern NV roads are smooth as glass.

#2 ·
Wow!!
what year is your MDX again? Did you mean 2015?

We recently purchased ‘22 MDX Advance less that 4 months old & only 2500 miles. We’re not getting MPG anywhere close to what you’re getting: We just drove from Portland OR to Olympia WA on I-5, just one fuel stop (no stop & go). We averaged 22 mpg. For combined city & freeway driving, we get 17-28.

We generally drive 10-15 above speed limit, with tires filled to suggested inflation pressure, and use premium grade (91 octane) but sometimes mid grade (89). Usually just 2 people, no excessive cargo (not filled w/ heavy groceries, etc)

I’m hoping it’ll get better after ”breaking in”. My wife & I are disappointed. My old ‘16 BMW X5 hybrid got 26 mpg, but I know not fair to compare hybrid to all-gas vehicle.

Sam

#4 ·
I've done a few trips passing through Nevada (Elko/Reno or Reno/Las Vegas). Gas is figgin' expensive in Reno and Lake Tahoe! Did you stop in Beatty, NV, north of Las Vegas to hit that huge candy store at the gas station (candy by Death Valley Nut & Candy Co)? They have almost every type of hard candy and chocolates you can think of there.

Driving 90 mph isn't fast enough sometimes trying to get across Nevada. I've had my 19 MDX hybrid up to 100-120 mph passing long lines of semi trucks on the 2 lane hwy on the Reno to Las Vegas run. I average 24-26 mpg depending on my speed of 75-80 mph min and 90-120 mph max sprints for passing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.